A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tea tray "It's always tea time"  (Read 2079 times)
Tags for this thread: tea , tray  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evaberry
« on: January 03, 2011 10:56:39 PM »

Of course I forgot to take a before picture! It was an antique tray, medium-dark wood, with an old painting of cherries that was too worn to salvage. You can just about see in the picture that it has very pretty handles.

I took it apart (being antique, it is put together very sturdily with screws) and sanded it (luckily it wasn't varnished). Then I stained and varnished the edges and handles and painted the base with lots of coats of "antique white" water-based furniture paint.

The writing is in a font which is pre-installed on Word 2010 called AR Decode, but I freehanded it because I couldn't be bothered to play with the printing to get the correct size for the tray. (It is about 1.5 times A4 in length). I did the edges of the lettering first in pencil, then in thin permanent marker. Then I filled it in with black enamel craft paint.

I finished it off with several layers of water-based varnish so that it can be used for actual tea-making.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011 01:01:32 AM »

looks lovely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellaneous
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011 01:21:59 AM »

Tea-tea-tea-tea!!! That's lovely! Where did you find the original tray? Would the heat from the tea affect the coating at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evaberry
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011 03:20:39 AM »

The tray came from my parents' attic, my mum has no idea where it originally came from...

I've had tea cups on it for a few minutes and haven't noticed any effects from the heat. We keep the electric kettle on it and pour the water on top of the tray in order to protect the kitchen side. Then I move the cup elsewhere.

The varnish means that at least tea stains and spilled water are easy to wipe off. Hopefully it also protects it from the heat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laur328
Blood, Sweat and Crafts.

Let's get high on art supplies and hibernate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011 07:13:33 AM »

its very classic looking and i think ive finally found an idea for the little tray i found at the good will store ages ago.  fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rooftopstudio
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011 07:30:35 AM »

This is so great. I want to make one now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011 07:59:55 AM »

It is beautiful!
And even though I don't like 'stuff with words on it' (not even clothes) for myself, this IS something I would like to own.
You did a great job.
Happy New Year!
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evaberry
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011 12:08:56 PM »

And even though I don't like 'stuff with words on it' (not even clothes) for myself

I know what you mean! At least where I live, all sorts of containers that say what they contain (e.g. "washing powder", "candles", "dog food", "magazines", etc.) are really fashionable and ubiquitous right now, so I hesitated a bit... But I had an image in my head and had to realise it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuperBims
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011 01:03:14 AM »

This is lovely, and so very true!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pretty Ponytail
Double Dare: The Ponytail Fabric
Top Knot with Volume Tutorial
Beauty Test Lab: Amika Triple Barrel Pro-Curler Set
How to Get Beachy Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...