A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter inspired "The Burrows" or the Weasley Home  (Read 50499 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , gingerbread_house , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mezcraft
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2011 10:03:25 PM »

When I read about this challenge I was very excited but I didn't know what kind of house to do. So I began to think about different interesting houses and as I had just finished watching the new Harry Potter film, I found my inspiration.  I love the Weasley's home or what is formally known as "The Burrows" . It's a crazy d-i-y house that has different windows and different doors and it's a bit ramshackle and there is magic all mixed with "muggle" stuff and it feels to me like a house full of love.

As for the technical stuff, I started out by making a foamcore model of the house, figuring out each piece which I then used for a template.  My Gingerbread house is a lot more about gingerbread than icing and candy. There are two different recipes resulting in two different gingerbread colours. When all was said and done, I had made 4 double batches of gingerbread and my sore arm muscles showed for it!

I made the shingles out of shreddies than sprayed them with colourmist icing colouring, then I did some undershading with brown icing.

My favourite part of the whole thing was these little sweaters on a laundry line that I added.  I wanted to make something to reflect how much of an awesome D-I-Y-er Molly Weasley was by making all her kids monogrammed sweaters for Christmas.  So each one of them is a like a wee tiny Gingerbread cookie. I also made little brooms but they are harder to see. 

I also used Cinnamon Sticks because I need a really long, tall, strong piece to help support the weight of the upper layers. I was quite worried about that when I got started but it held up really well and when we took it apart ( as in munched on tasty gingerbread)  it actually was very difficult! By the end I just ended up smashing it!  This was tons of fun and I can't stop seeing Gingerbread details on houses all around town and thinking about next year already!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011 10:14:05 PM »

This is amazing! Love the details - the brown under shading of the roof tiles is great! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
Poosel
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011 10:17:24 PM »

Shocked Holy Hagrid!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have no gravity where you live?Huh That is amazing!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/poosel

Sketchbook Project Theme: Nightmares
decidedly average
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011 10:26:56 PM »

Truly magical! I wish I could go inside it and explore!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011 10:30:46 PM »

this. is. amazing.
when i saw this challenge, I wanted to make hogwarts. then I got bronchitis. you made my harry potter gingerbread dream come true!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
spunkydamunky
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011 11:13:47 PM »

Amazing. You did Molly proud  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RanaeAiken
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011 11:59:13 PM »

This is incredible!! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spectrumsparksie
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011 01:18:25 AM »

OMG!  I am sending my patronus over for a closer look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bodkins
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011 03:33:27 AM »

Fantastic! This looks so great that when I showed my hubby the photos, at first he thought someone had built a life-size house!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held it's ground

Visit the worlds most boring blog - it's all about being fat and disorganised!  http://fledglings-hollow.blogspot.com/
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011 04:25:11 AM »

An amazing job!
I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Futurist Films
The Muse of Barry Ptolemy
The Morality of Filming South African Vineyards
Photoshop CS5 Beta Review
Censorship and Slashers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...