A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My new Babydoll-ish top -- Now with TUTORIAL - for pregnant bellies too :-)  (Read 111497 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyZary
« on: May 26, 2005 01:06:55 PM »

***Edited -- somehow the pics were gone and I don't know when or why. Thanks to the fellow Crafter that told me abut it! I uploaded them again, hopefully it is all working fine now... ***

Thank you for all your nice comments about my first babydoll top posted here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=36090.0

I did a second one and as promised, I pictured the process so here is the tutorial :-). It can be adapted for the beautiful pregnant bellies. The parts that need to be adapted are marked in the text (in red).

You will need:
- 2 rectangles of stretchy material for the top part. It can be done with the fabric from an old T-Shirt (that is what I did). I used for this top 2 different colors, one for the back side and one for the front. The rectangles should be big enough to cover the breast part plus seam allowances.

- 2 longer pieces of fabric for the straps. I cut the pieces double wide because I made them double layered

- Another rectangle of a different, very light and flowy fabric for the bottom part. If you want it transparent (like I did on my first top) you can even use a silk shawl. For the measurements: the length you wish and important: the width must be the circumference of your waistline PLUS another half of that measure,plus seam allowance. For make it easy with the tutorial, I will call this the 'skirt part' of the top.
* For pregnant bellies: the width should be 2 times the circumference of the waistline

- A few extra straps of scraps or trims or ribbon for wrapping it at the front part.

An now the steps:
1. Cut all your pieces

2. Take the rectangle for the front part and hand-stitch it at the middle to give a little kind of drape effect. Once it is done, sew your 2 rectangles together (right sides together, wrong side up). These 2 steps will be looking like this:

3. Stitch every side of the big rectangle (the 'skirt part' of the top) to finish and stop from fraying. Mi fabric was actually a mini beach-skirt that I did not use and it has a fringe at the bottom. I left it with fringe and all, so I just stitched the top and the sides.  Once stitched, pin the 'skirt part' to the top part (to the bust part that you did before). To pin it, have the bust part right side up, and the skirt part should be wrong side up, so the right sides of fabric will be actually facing. *IMPORTANT:   Start with the pins from the BACK side of the top, starting from the middle and going to the sides. I wanted to add a piece of a different color at the front, so I left at each side about 2 inches without pins. If you don't want to add any extra scrap with different color, simply pin all until the end. When you come to the front part and you finish adding pins all around, you will notice that on each side you will have lots of fabric left. Don't worry, you did not do anything wrong, it is ok like that, so leave it like this. This extra fabric is actually what will give this flowy effect to the top once it is done.
Look at the pic to get the idea.

*If you want the top to be open and show the belly, leave the 'skirt part' like it is now, then you are ready with that part (I left my top open). This is how it looks by now:

If you want it to be closed, now just take the right and left side of the 'skirt part' fabric (they are somewhere 'flowing around')  and stitch them together.
* For pregnant bellies I would recommend always to stitch the sides so the top is closed, then the belly is protected :-)  but of course you can keep it open if you wish.

Now the top is taking shape! we are almost done, by now it is looking something like this:

4.Time to add the straps. I did mine double layered, you can make them plain. Just measure the length you would need and stitch them to the front and back side of the top.
and now the last part: cover the first stitches to the middle of the top (the ones from step 2) by wrapping around a strap, trim, lace or whatever you like. You can make it as long as you want, it will add 'flowy effect' to the top if you make it long.  And if you opted for leaving the front open and adding a piece of a different color (like I did) now it is the time to add that extra piece. I did a rectangle in aqua blue color and stitched it at the very front, where I left the 2 inches opened in step 3.

5. Ta-daaa, it is ready! You can add embellishments or leave it just as it is.

I liked how it turned out and the best part: this time my husband liked the top very much! so now I am happy :-)

I hope that you understand the tutorial and that I used the right words (english is not my mother language). If you have questions feel free to ask.

I hope this tutorial is useful :-)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006 11:56:53 PM by CraftyZary » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hopskip09
I am Human

Created to Create

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005 01:15:12 PM »

that's really cute--i like the colors/fabric,
great
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion, art, friends, life....
http://erinisbetter.blogspot.com/

God's thunder spits fire...and sends the oak trees dancing, a wild dance, whirling; the pelting rain strips their branches. We fall to our knees-we cry out, "glory".
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005 01:15:36 PM »

Oh wow. I want one... right now! I might make one of these! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SupermodelKitty
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005 01:24:18 PM »

That is GORGEOUS! Reminds me of some tops I've seen at Banana Republic, only with personality! I so wish I could sew right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Kat

Hi, My name is Kathryn. Nice to meet you!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005 01:52:33 PM »

Love the top. I shall make a bunch of these for my summer wardrobe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sariana
Future CSI

Don't know who you are, but I, I'm with you...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005 03:29:31 PM »

One word: GORGEOUS. I love that shirt. My mother is right here and she loves it too, and she actually said i could make it, so YAY. Smiley thank you for posting the tutorial
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why don't you run along and play with your chemistry set?
~Sirius Black
goddessterri
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005 03:48:30 PM »

This is a great top and tutorial.  Thanks for posting it!!!   It looks wonderful on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paper_mate
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005 05:29:40 PM »

Silly boyfies and husbies.  Lucky mine's pretty good about this sort of thing.  Smiley

You have an awesome sense of colour and design, keep it up! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jodi1978
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005 11:27:41 PM »

Cheesy Love it, Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Berniluvscrochet
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005 08:21:35 AM »

Hi, I am new here, and was just browsing trying to figure out some things. I love your top!!! I am always looking for easy things to make. I have been sewing since I was 10. And I have been looking for some cute things, unusal stuff, and this just does it. But... I can't print it out. I am only getting down to the second picture and my computer only prints out the comments. Can you email it to me seprate? I would love to make a few of these.
Thanks Berni
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Scenes at the Rebecca Minkoff Spring 2014 Show
Behind the Scenes at the Hervé Léger Spring 2014 Show
Get The Miley Cyrus Style
Get the Taylor Swift Look
How to Dress Appropriately for a Job Interview
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...