A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make bias tape without the fancy gismo  (Read 4814 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

djinn_3wishes
« on: January 03, 2011 03:09:27 PM »

I made bias tape and posted it in the destash thread and a few people asked how I did it especially since I did not use the fancy bias tape maker.  So here you go!

start with a rectangle of fabric. Quilting cotton works wonderfully. This is a synthetic blend. It worked just fine. Orient the rectangle with the selvage closest to you. The bias is at a 45 degree angle to the selvage.

Fold one corner up to make a 45 degree angle. Press in place. Please note that I used a square of fabric. When using a rectangle, draw the corner up so that the selvage meets its parallel straight edge.

cut along the fold separating a triangle (on the left) with the rest of the rectangle (on the right).

without changing its orientation, move the left triangle to the end of the rectangle. Match the straight edges. The shape is a parallelogram.

stitch along the straight edge.

starting from the leftmost diagonal edge of the parallelogram mark the width of the strips for your bias tape. I used 2 tape measures and a straight edge to mark 2 inch wide strips. Measure strips 2 inches wide all the way from one diagonal edge to the other.

starting from the left mark the strips 1 - 2 - 3 etc.  This is difficult to see in the photo so look close!

This is the part that is the most awkward. bring the selvage up to meet its parallel edge. Match the strips up but offset the strips by one number. Strip number one matches to strip number 2. Strip number 2 to number 3 and so on. there will be an unmatched corner on each side and the fabric will seem all twisted and wrong. Stitch the selvage and its parallel edge together making a tube.

Start cutting the strips. Cut strip number 1 off the tube. Ready for the cool part? When you get to the end of strip number 1 you're at the start of strip 2 so just keep cutting and the strips will spiral off the tube of fabric.  This was not a perfect process and the lines did not match up perfectly.  Do not despair.  The finished product is still lovely and functional and you will be the only one to know the truth of the imperfect bias tape.

Now you have one long strip of fabric cut on the bias. Awesome.

March over to your ironing board and jam a needle through. leave about an inch of exposed needle.

Weave the fabric under the needle folding both raw edges over as you go. Use your iron to flatten out the rolled edges as you gently pull the fabric under the needle. You will have to do a little fiddling to keep the folds nice and even.

for double fold bias tape, once you have pressed all the raw edges to the center of your tape, fold the tape in half, adjust the pin and repeat the previous step.

press as you go.

roll it around some cardboard and you are done, my friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011 03:17:44 PM »

Lovely tutorial! Thank you very much, the part about sewing the two ends together to make a tube have eluded me for far too long.

edited for spelling 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011 08:07:54 AM by rottenlittleboys » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampedangel14
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011 03:21:20 PM »

Thanks for the tute!

As a sewing newb, I'm a bit confused as to why you cut the fabric into triangles just to sew them together again differently. Does this allow you to make a longer strip than if you were to just make a strip out of the starting shape?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011 03:29:51 PM »

This is awesome, thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

STS Shop

Etsy shop
LaughingLark
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011 03:31:18 PM »

Thank you! I've always wanted to know how to do this!

I also want to use this method of ironing to make some continuous strips of fabric for crocheted rag rugs. However, for making rugs, I will not cut the fabric on the bias because it stretches out of shape in the finished rug. I have a book on rug making that strongly recommends that the strips of fabric have folded over edges to make a neater and more durable rug. I will need giant balls of them for rugs!  I was wondering how I could iron all those strips. Now I know!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djinn_3wishes
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011 03:55:59 PM »

Thanks for the tute!

As a sewing newb, I'm a bit confused as to why you cut the fabric into triangles just to sew them together again differently. Does this allow you to make a longer strip than if you were to just make a strip out of the starting shape?

taking your rectangle and turning it into a parallelogram accomplishes 2 things.  it defines the bias of the fabric and it prevents wastage.  you could start with a rectangle of fabric, cut off a triangle at a 45 degree angle (toss the triangle), then cut 2 inch wide strips off the remaining piece starting at the cut you just made (until you get another triangle to toss), then join all the little strips together, then proceed to make the bias tape. 

The way I showed is a little less straight forward, but way easier in the long run.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011 03:59:11 PM »

awesome!  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011 06:26:55 PM »

Brilliant!  Thanks so much!  that's much easier then I've ever tried!  I bet you don't get steamed finger tips either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011 07:30:24 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks for this tutorial!  I'll add it to our stickied list so people can find it easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
aprettymess

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011 07:46:59 PM »

holy smokes! thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Skeleton Makeup for Halloween
FDA Approves First Facial Filler in US
Now You Can Use a Clarisonic on Your Feet
Celebrities Show Off Their Glittering Jewels
How to Do Zombie Make-Up
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...