A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
802 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: epic failure  (Read 625 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tennisgal86
« on: January 03, 2011 09:35:24 AM »

so it's probably not as epic as I felt last night but I knew I could count on all of you for some moral support.  I have been working on a granny square tetris Afghan for a friend's "Christmas present" it was supposed to be a Christmas present anyway I started it on December 1st and greatly underestimated the amount of time it would require.  I have been SC'ing it all together as I go and weaving in all my ends as I do it so it looks pretty.  but I didn't make rows I actually put together tetris blocks and then sc'd all the blocks together thinking it would be more fun to just "play tetris" 

Last night I spread it out on the bed (it was 80% done) because I wanted to admire my work, stood back, smiled, and called DH in to show off my awesomeness.............
He then pointed out my epic failure insdead.   Angry I had messed up the grid and one of my blocks had not fully descended.  It wasn't just a bad tetris move it was an impossible error that could never actually happen in a game... and I had already done a bunch of work on top of it. 
I immediately started crying and calling it an epic failure.  I desperately wanted to send this out on wed, but now it needs surgery not to mention I still need to complete it.  I got to the point where I was just disgusted by it, this was my masterpiece I have been working on this monstrosity for the last 32 days and even been carting it back and forth to work so I could work on it during my lunch break.  All of the guys in my office have been calling me grandma for a month!  Shocked  I told DH I wanted to bring it outside and run it over repeatedly with the car (we live in upstate new york and the driveway is currently very dirty and slushy)

The worst part of this is that even if I wanted to send it as is in it's current epic failure state I can't because... a) the friend it is going to as a christmas present is a video game programmer  and b) I have to fix it because I appear to be some kind of crafting perfectionist everything else be damned but my crafts must be perfect

Just need a little moral support last night I had to put it in a pillowcase because I couldn't look at it anymore it just disgusted me I couldn't look away from the group of blocks... epic failure...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011 09:44:37 AM »

Hmm... once you're able to look at it again, can you take a picture of the problem?  It'd be easier to make suggestions that way.

It's possible the problem could be easily fixed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tennisgal86
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011 03:58:43 PM »

here is a photo fron the back so you can see how it is all connected

it's kind of hard to see but insead of connecting it in rows i "played tetris" I have at least taken a little comfort in the fact that iy is an edge piece so at least it's nto in the center and i don't have to tear the whole thing apart... I think I've figured otu how to do it... it's just gonna take ma a while to pull it all apart and put it back together 

I promise I'll post a finished photo of the whole thing looking nice as soon as i finally get it done
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011 10:08:17 PM »

Is there a way to undo the edge, and then bring down the light blue L and move that dark blue square above it?  That would work wouldn't it? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
tennisgal86
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011 11:25:26 AM »

just a little update.... I was able to repair the epic failure and now you would have no way of knowing that it was so bad.  It was nerve wracking but It was easier than I anicipated and I had a crafting panic attack for almost no reason.  I will have pictures up in the completed section in the next day or two since I would like to mail it out tomorrow Smiley    Thanks to everyone who talked me down off my ledge
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011 11:28:05 AM »

I'm glad you worked it out!  I can't wait to see the finished product ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roasted-Root-Veggie Pot Pie Recipe
Making Venison Chili in the Federal at Miami Beach
Classic Sloppy Joe Recipe
How to Make the Perfect Cheeseburger
Sunny Anderson Makes a 3-Minute Quiche ... In a Coffee Mug?!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...