A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
836 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Desperate for Landscaping ideas!  (Read 1709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2011 07:35:25 AM »

Hello!  My husband and I bought our first home May 2010. Yay for us!  It was a foreclosure in dire need of some TLC.  We fell in love and gave it a complete remodel on the inside and its very cozy and wonderful!  However, the outside is needed some things!  I don't have an eye or an inkling for anything to do with landscaping, so I need your ideas please!  The house is situated at the corner of my street and a fairly busy highway, so it needs to have some good curb appeal. I took these pictures just this morning, so everything is frosty and the grass is dead (when the grass is alive, it looks pretty decent.)  If the first panorama picture doesn't look right on here, please let me know and I can upload another one of the side of the house.  Here are some of my concerns that I would like to have feedback on:

1. The lower driveway (where I am standing, and closest to the highway) is brand new.  It is wide and white.  Should I mulch and put a hedgerow of somesort, or instead add color and plant a flower bed alongside it?  It is full sun all day long.

2. I HATE lattice!!!  Is there ANYTHING I can replace that with?  Or if not, a way to make it look nicer?

3.  The front of the house, where the lattice is, should I put a hedgerow or a flower bed?  It only gets sun about half of the day.  As soon as the sun crosses over, it stays shadowy the rest of the day.  I think when I took the first picture, the sun was directly behind me at 9 am. 

4. What should I do with the porch area, where the upper driveway is?  I want it to look beautiful, and would love to have flowers here, but have no clue as to know which kinds ... would prefer the kinds that come back every year so I don't have to keep going to purchase flowers every spring.  The porch is going to be stained hopefully this spring, so that will be one improvement.  The rose bush that is there will be taken out.  Its beautiful when it blooms, but I am just not a rose person.  I don't like vine plants for some reason. 

I appreciate any and all input you might have for me!!

Thanks!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011 07:46:59 AM »

full sun is nice - a low flower bed with something that is easy and colorful like petunias would be nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
Taramor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011 08:23:44 AM »

It is a wonderfull house - I understand, you fell in love.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to replace the lattice. In a way, it fits the house, I think. If you replace it with solid wood, the house migth look vere "square", very massive.
  If it was my garden, I would want it to be my private place, my little paradise, so i would sorround it with at hedge, a wall or something like that. It looks way to "open" for me. And I would want trees and bushes and flowers. Maybe you could have flowering trees and bushes? They are easyer to hold than many summer flowers.

But I am afraid, I can't tell you what kind of plants are good, because I don't know where in the world, you are living. The flowers I prefere, migth not be able to grow in your climate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amazing_784
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011 08:29:28 AM »

As far as the lattice goes...see if you can find some sort of fencing, like chicken wire.  Put that up instead of lattice, so that animals don't get under your porch and make their homes or ruin your house's foundation.  Then you can plant some sort of bush around the porch and it will cover up the under-the-porch area like the lattice did without the lattice look.

Look around at your local greenhouses, and see what they suggest for your partial sun area.  There are several good flowers that would work there, as well as some larger bushes that wouldn't need much care.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aerangis
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011 09:49:10 AM »

Normailly, lattice doesn't support anything and can be removed easily...

What's behind the lattice?
I'd probably go for glass panels maybe with wood sun blocks.

Vines are a good option for the upper lattice, but I wouldn't use that for the bottom ones as it can easily damage the structure...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011 02:21:57 PM »

What's behind the lattice?
I'd probably go for glass panels maybe with wood sun blocks.

Behind the lattice is empty space, accessible by a side door that's disguised - also made of lattice.  There is access to two water spouts on either side of the porch here.  I don't know what wood sun blocks are, but as soon as this post is done, I'm off to ask Google.  Now that I'm looking at these pictures, I'm thinking that a good coat of paint on the house would do it a ton of good, and I wonder if the lattice will look nicer if I paint it a corresponding color?  Like it is now, only different, more trendy colors. 

Look around at your local greenhouses, and see what they suggest for your partial sun area.  There are several good flowers that would work there, as well as some larger bushes that wouldn't need much care.

Thanks for the great idea - I hadn't thought of this.  There is a greenhouse two blocks from here, so I will do that asap. 

I'm not sure it is a good idea to replace the lattice. In a way, it fits the house, I think. If you replace it with solid wood, the house migth look vere "square", very massive.
  If it was my garden, I would want it to be my private place, my little paradise, so i would sorround it with at hedge, a wall or something like that. It looks way to "open" for me. And I would want trees and bushes and flowers. Maybe you could have flowering trees and bushes? They are easyer to hold than many summer flowers.

But I am afraid, I can't tell you what kind of plants are good, because I don't know where in the world, you are living. The flowers I prefere, migth not be able to grow in your climate.

I am starting to think you are right about putting in a hedge wall.  I will research the different kinds and what they look like.  The person above suggested asking a local greenhouse, I will also look on the internet.  I am in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7? I think.  As far as flowering trees, I LOVE Dogwoods and Bradford Pears (these are natural here and are everywhere), but I don't like the look of puny, baby trees, and its way to expensive to dig up a mature tree.  On the other hand, my house is the only one on the block that doesn't have trees in their front yard.  Since our plan is to only live here a few years, maybe I should consider adding a few trees in the front yard to add resell value.  I see those fast growing flowering trees in catalogs all the time, I will read up about those. 

I also agree with you about the little piece of paradise -- I want that to be where the two sets of steps are.  That is my front door.  When people drive by, I want people to say WOW!  I would love to do this myself, but I may end up hiring a landscape designer.  Sad  I don't want to do that. 

Does anyone know why my post was moved from Discussion to Completed Projects?  I wasn't happy when I saw this ... my project isn't even started yet!!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011 03:11:45 PM »

I'm a big proponent of Edible Landscaping and growing native plants, so personally I think if you're putting in some flowerbeds, you should include some native plants for the local butterflies and some edible plants for you.  There are some beautiful landscape roses which produce edible fruit (super high in vitamin C).  Fruit trees can be as nice as non-fruiting decorative trees - plus you get fruit!  You don't need to relegate edibles to the vegetable garden, many vegetables are quite attractive.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Josh Duhamel on Transformers: Dark of The Moon
Ken Jeong on Transformers: Dark of The Moon
Rosie Huntington-Whitely on Transformers: Dark of The Moon
The Transformers: Dark of The Moon Premiere Hits Times Square
Jamie Foxx on Horrible Bosses
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...