A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: smoothing projects  (Read 1172 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rebecnik
« on: January 02, 2011 05:28:20 PM »

I was reading this forum awhile back and saw a post 10 or so back about "smoothing" projects. One bit of advice was to gently wet felt it with soap and your fingers. I tried that on one of my pieces, and it just made it ridiculously fuzzy. So then I figured I was too rough with the material, and I did it extremely gently with another piece. Still made it much fuzzier! What am I doing wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011 12:36:38 PM »

I've seen a suggestion to use a steam iron to smooth a wet-felted object.  Haven't tried that myself, but might be worth a try?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebecnik
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011 12:26:46 PM »

Hey, that does sound like a good idea! Thanks for replying!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011 09:47:10 PM »

If steam doesn't work, there is another option:  FIRE.  I recently saw a travel show where they showed a man making felted wool hats in Turkey.  As the final step, when the felting was complete, he passed the hats near a flame (not into a flame!!) to get the fuzzies off.  I just tried it on a felted bead I made of alpaca fiber, which was crazy fuzzy, and it worked really well.  I held the bead briefly a few inches from a small flame.  Just sort of passed it near it.  The wool singed, just like your arm hair might singe if you got too close to a burner.  Then I just rubbed the bead to remove the crystallized singed bits.

BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE ATTEMPTING THIS!   I know wool is flame resistant, but if you're trying this on my say-so, please do it outside with a bucket of water next to you just in case.  I say this because I was once part of a different sewing forum where a woman tried doing a burn test to figure out what kind of fiber was in the fabric she was working with.  She set her whole living room on fire.  Tons of damage but no one was hurt.

ETA:  This would only work with 100% wool felt.  I'm guessing pre-made felt from the craft store would just melt and/or catch on fire.  I know you're not working with craft felt, but thought I'd add this in case someone else might.

Anyway, this does work, as tested on my felt bead, but please be uber careful if you try it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011 09:49:24 PM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DestinationVenus
Beader, Kumist, Needle and Wet Felter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011 08:16:13 AM »

Hmm, interesting suggestion on using a bit of flame.  I'll have to test that out, and I have one more suggestion for your safety info--make sure the container the water is in is LARGE and not something that will catch on fire.  Metal would be the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011 06:40:09 AM »

My absolute favorite tool for smoothing felt is a small animal clipper/shaver (battery operated).  It is  about 3" long and 1" wide.  Works great!!!
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebecnik
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011 01:29:17 PM »

Thanks to all of you for all the great suggestions! I will definitely try flame. And I'll definitely be safe- my Dad used to be a photographer for the local fire department. Fire safety is vital!
I may also try the animal clipper. That sounds like yet another great idea!
Which reminds me...what about a sweater shaver? That has to work!

Again, thanks all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dragonflyducky
easily distracted

ooooooooh!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011 08:26:17 PM »

I have used a razor (a disposable safety razor)  to get the fuzz off a wall hanging and it worked very well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rebecnik
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011 10:01:33 PM »

I have used a razor (a disposable safety razor)  to get the fuzz off a wall hanging and it worked very well!

What another innovative approach!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bars2.Mp4
How to Make Monster Sounds with the Click of a Button
Stunning Timelapse of Dense Fog Clouds Rolling Over Chicago
A Funeral for Blue Eye
Filming and Editing Tech Videos
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...