A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rapunzel Yarn Swap Gallery!!  (Read 11414 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011 04:09:04 PM »

Kanawinkie's yarn has made the long trip from Australia to Canada without mishap Cheesy

I chuckled at the little tags she included, relating stories such as "Wool (?) yarn bought to knit my second jumper for myself - still W.I.P!!" and "Acrylic yarn - bought to knit a toy cow!!" LOL! Her stamp collection must be a sight to behold, as well Tongue

All the yarns are beautiful, and some of them I would never have chosen for myself, but upon reflecting on that thought, I realized not only is that part of the fun of a swap like this (SURPRISE!!!!), but it also forces me out of my comfort zone. I'd created a mental box of "what Alexus1325's scarf should look like," and now I have new, unexpected elements to work with that can ramp up my creativity, resulting in something that is quite "outside the box" for me Cheesy

Thank you so much for making me both smile AND think, Kanawinkie Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gerbilgal

I love knitting and my gerbils.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011 08:23:47 PM »

Received my third and final yarn from AlmostDawn. I was trying to put it together but it ended up in a tangled mess! I could not make my scarf. I was almost in tears.  Sad  Sad  Sad  SOB!!

Next time I will wind the yarns up and braid that way. I don't recall anything in the directions to wind up the yarn. Thank you all for the pretty yarn. Maybe I can salvage something out of it. (Any suggestions???  Maybe some gerbil scarves.)

I am almost too upset to post pictures.

Maybe I should just stick to knitting.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gerbilgal1/
Squeaky Knitting: http://www.etsy.com/shop/gerbilgal

Current Swaps:
I Heart Tea 2: Signups
stillatthetop
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011 08:46:34 PM »

Awww, sweetie. I am not in this swap, so perhaps I should not post here, but I braid yarns and fibers a lot, so I wish to help you. I have been watching this thread, because I think these scarves are neat. I have never made one, but if I were to attempt it, here is how I would proceed. (and you have not ruined it. You will just need to have patience to untangle things, and put pets out of your way. My kitties love to "help" when I have yarn and thread issues!)

You are braiding many fibers as one part of the braid (for each of the three parts of a braid). These should all be gathered together into one group. Just as if you were braiding only one piece of rope with two other ropes in a regular braid.

I would make loose knots down this one group of fibers, that could be removed as you braid down to them. Repeat this loose knotting, to hold them together as a "one", with the other two groups of strands. Then begin your braiding. When you run out of unknotted section, untie the loose knot to give you more fiber length in that group of strands to braid with.

Untangling is not easy, but fingernails (and sometimes a fork tine or other similar needle like tool) come in handy for the tight spots. Just work slowly, start at the bottom and loosest parts, and you can free things up again.  Wink Happy vibes being sent your way. I know you can fix it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" fabric scraps for an iSpy quilt similar to this
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011 06:48:48 AM »

I got my third package yesterday!!!  Cheesy  I've got pictures... and I brought the camera to work because I thought I had a card reader here, but alas. I'll get my yarn pics up tonight. I have such fun and pretty yarns!

Wow stillatthetop... thank you for the awesome advice, I was kind of concerned about exactly the same thing. I was considering doing a five strand and desperately scared of tangles, cause I'm not super practiced at five strands... your words of wisdom are appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011 10:43:28 AM »

Awww gerbigal... I hope that stillatthetop's tips help you out! (and thank you so much for them) Just take some time and I'm sure all the knots will come out! If all else fails you could cut the knot out and sew up a scarf like this instead :http://www.favecrafts.com/Clothing/How-to-Make-a-Fiber-Scarf# and it would still showcase all the pretty yarns!

I updated the front page with receiving/sent status and noticed I have some feedback to give! I will be doing that later on tonight so if you are wondering why you haven't gotten it yet.. you will later Cheesy Also I will be getting my lovelies out tomorrow! Just gotta sign some notecards and they will be on their way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
gerbilgal

I love knitting and my gerbils.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011 10:48:49 AM »

That sounds like a cool idea but I only have this small sewing machine that I don't really know how to use and what is water-soluble stabilizer? Where do I find it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gerbilgal1/
Squeaky Knitting: http://www.etsy.com/shop/gerbilgal

Current Swaps:
I Heart Tea 2: Signups
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011 11:11:23 AM »

You can get water soluble stabilizer at any fabric store... some places call it something different (even the stuff for embroidering would work too!) It's really just straight lines going one way and then another so it would be basic to work up! I do hope that those knots come out for you though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JillHogan
Jill

I don't throw things away.

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011 05:49:36 PM »

I received all of my yarn!

From AlmostDawn:

From GerbilGal:

From IdlersDesign:

And the finished product, modeled by my cat, George.  He certainly was involved in the process of making it (cats like yarn), so it seems fitting.

I'm pleased with this being my first Rapunzel scarf.  I can't wait to make some more!  The braiding thing was tough (I feel your pain, GerbilGal), but I got my act together with a process eventually. 

Thanks Slingmomma for organizing.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011 06:03:34 PM by JillHogan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.60#axzz2oulo2ajK

My pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/jill_hogan/

I love swapping altered puzzle pieces.  PM me!
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011 11:15:27 AM »

Here's some pictures of the lovely yarn bits I received so far!

From Idlersdesign:

Complete with pretty little flowers!

And from spidermom:

Thanks for the awesome post cards ladies!!

Also tomorrow is send outs! Anyone that needs more time please let me know as soon as possible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lelila
geek.

nerd love.

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011 02:46:27 PM »

I've got all three of mine!!!  Cheesy

I uhm. I'm sorry, I suck, I forget whose was whose!! They're from wax51, Opalgryphon, & Rosie1981 though and aren't they fun and pretty!!! I'm kind of intimidated to braid em up, I'm a bit of a klutz and can almost guarantee tangles are in my future... results to come soon!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dr. Ashton Takes Fear of Snakes to a New Level
Facing Your Fears
How to Erase a Phobia
Depression: Trapped Inside Our Minds
Who Gets Depression
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...