A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,773
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My 30th in March and a new sewing machine...any advice?  (Read 643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NewbieUK
« on: January 02, 2011 02:49:16 PM »

I've been using a freecycled one that has given up and we can't get parts for that, so now I'm using my Mums which is lovely but I need my own.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to get one around my 30th birthday with family donations!  

I have big aspirations so would like one that does a lot, but I am just a beginner.  I'd also like something that will last a long time, or at least one which has freely available parts!  I don't have a large budget though I was thinking around 150.  Wondering what to get, and whether I should go for a great quality refurb or brand new?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011 02:49:41 PM by NewbieUK » THIS ROCKS   Logged
purefairydust
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011 04:04:27 PM »

With a limited income check the sewing machine shops that also do repairs. Someone's trade-in might fit the bill and be more of a quality machine then a new cheaply made one. The shop will let you try out the machine, and also will be there later for any questions you have on the machine.  They know if you are a happy customer, they figure you will buy from them later when you want to upgrade.

You will be the one sewing on the machine, so test drive both new and trade-ins that are on hand. The one with the features you like and at the cost you can afford will be the right one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
NewbieUK
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011 02:42:18 AM »

Resurrecting my old thread!  So, I went with Mum to our chosen sewing shop which is a fantastic place.  It's where Mum traded in her old industrial Singer for a new machine 21 years ago and is quite loyal to.  The man (son of original owner) showed me why I shouldn't buy the Brother machine I'd been really keen on - it's all constructed on one piece of plastic! He had an example where the spool holder had broken, and the whole machine had to be replaced!  I was shown his current preference which was a Juki.  Apparently schools here in the UK are using these, plus factories all over the World so I'm confident in their durability and that the company isn't about to go bust! 

He sat with us, showed us every possible stitch and feature of the machine over about 45 minutes and was so helpful.  So, I'm sold on this machine http://sewreview.com/brands/juki/hzl-e61/ !  We put a small deposit down on it because it was ex display (displayed for one day, and never used!) and I'm picking it up in a week or two.  I'm looking forward to it.  It sounds lovely when it's running and seems to work beautifully.  I also get a 5 year warranty which is fab! Smiley

Good choice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to change the background
How to Make a Snake Game in Flash
How to Make a Maze Game in Flash Part 1/2
How to Make a Maze Game in Flash Part 2/2
How to Lens Bluring in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...