A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fairy Mouse Christmas Ornament (Now with Second Mouse)  (Read 1853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mostly Harmless
« on: January 02, 2011 02:18:50 PM »

As anyone who's been following my posts (all three of them, including this one) will know, I quite like making things from Alan Dart patterns. When I saw this pattern was available to download for free I was eager to give it a go, especially since it made me think of a couple of friends of the family. I've only made one so far but I'll probably update this post with others later. This pattern is fiddly but fun!
This one is for an old school friend I've lost contact with a bit who was my best friend all through primary school. At that time she used to keep gerbils and loved rodents of all shapes and sizes, I've seen her plenty of times since and some things have changed but I'm pretty sure she's still a big animal lover.
She's never been much of a girly girl so I switched the white mice with pastel skirts in the pattern to a brighter coloured skirt and a brown mouse but she's always had a good sense of humour so I think she'll still like it despite the tutu and the wings.
Here's an endearing front on view:

The pattern reccommended that you put it together with sewing thread because its so small and fiddly but I managed quite easily just using the ends from the knitting instead. Here she is with a pound coin for scale:

I threaded her up on a loop of 'invisible thread' so that you can dangle her by the ornament loop and it looks like she's flying... (sorry, this last photo's a bit blurry; she swings about quite a bit so we couldn't get one of her staying still!)

The pattern can be found here: http://www.alandart.co.uk/products/product/87 it calls for hairspray to stiffen the star and wings and to shape the tail into a curl but I've found that hairspray doesn't really work well for keeping knitting in shape and the star and wings were plenty stiff on their own without any.

POST UPDATE:

In addition to my 'tips' above, I should probably add that the mice pictured here both have two rows less in them than Mr Dart's mice. This is because I missed a line when reading the pattern to knit the first mouse, but I actually prefer them this way. The two rows that are missing would have been the last two rows of the bodice.

I also knitted a second mouse. This one is for a good friend of my mum's. I've tried to make her more winter themed than specifically Christmassy:

I need to tug that black bit of embroidery floss by her right eye into the head, but aside from that she's ready to be sent away. She's not got a loop in the pictures, but I put one on her after taking the photos.

And there's the two of them together, just for added cuteness.  Wink

I've knitted the bodies for two more and am contemplating making a little fairy mouse mobile, but until either I do that, or perhaps when Christmas rolls around again, I won't be posting any more mice like these as they're fairly similar to one another!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011 10:54:55 AM by Mostly Harmless - Reason: To update the first post. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011 11:54:09 AM »

So cute! Your friend is really lucky  Smiley  Oh, and I'm not a girly girl myself and I find the wings (shiny gold! so cool!) and bright skirt fantastic  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyingmouse29

you want me to what? knit? ok!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011 12:07:54 PM »

way cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wistfulplying.blogspot.com - blog
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Flyingmouse29 - friend me on ravelry!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
inle_rah
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011 03:52:46 PM »

Adorable! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
bminks

dum spiro spero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011 07:29:54 AM »

that is the cutest mouse ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011 07:58:03 AM »

that is the cutest mouse ever!
Adorable!  
way cute!!

Thanks so much everyone!  Smiley It's nice to have reassurance from a fellow non-girly-girl too, Striker; I'm not very girly myself but I tend to have a soft spot for things I've made so it's great to hear that from somebody else too. Fingers crossed that my friend likes it as well when I finally get it to her... And flyingmouse29 - I wonder what might have attracted you to this particular project?  Huh Wink
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011 07:59:13 AM by Mostly Harmless » THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyingmouse29

you want me to what? knit? ok!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011 08:08:20 AM »

Mostly Harmless- i have tried a few times to knit or crochet little animals and always fail. they look super ugly! yours is really cute, and it reminds me of a character from a book i used to read when i was little...but i can't remember what it was called.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wistfulplying.blogspot.com - blog
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Flyingmouse29 - friend me on ravelry!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011 03:18:16 PM »

Mostly Harmless- i have tried a few times to knit or crochet little animals and always fail. they look super ugly! yours is really cute, and it reminds me of a character from a book i used to read when i was little...but i can't remember what it was called.

Aw, I'm sure they weren't all that ugly, flyingmouse. It can take a while to get the hang of things though, I know that my first two or three knitted animals looked pretty dire - the very first toy I knitted was a duck made entirely out of squares and rectangles. I've still got that duck but... I stuffed it so little that its head always flops down to its side; the embroidery in its eye has a tail of yarn sticking out of it where its loose; you can see just about every stitch in every seam and I sewed its feet on backwards! I like to think I've made some progress in toy making since then... I'm sure the animals you've made couldn't have been a lot worse than my duck was and when I made her I was actually quite pleased with the result initially! At least she had... personality ...?
And it's always fun when you're reminded of characters from your favourite childhood books, it's funny which parts stick in your head too because sometimes people seem to remember really odd details about them...

Also, just in case you were wondering why I picked you out specifically in my reply earlier... I was actually trying to make a joke based on the mousey fairy and your username... guess that flopped a little!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Yarn-Embellished Cards
How to Make Leather Lanyard Bracelets
Quilting with Japanese Taupe Fabrics
Deconstructed Crazy Quilt Technique
Easy DIY Fabric-Wrapped Bangles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...