As anyone who's been following my posts (all three
, including this one) will know, I quite like making things from Alan Dart patterns. When I saw this pattern was available to download for free I was eager to give it a go, especially since it made me think of a couple of friends of the family. I've only made one so far but I'll probably update this post with others later. This pattern is fiddly but fun!
This one is for an old school friend I've lost contact with a bit who was my best friend all through primary school. At that time she used to keep gerbils and loved rodents of all shapes and sizes, I've seen her plenty of times since and some things have changed but I'm pretty sure she's still a big animal lover.
She's never been much of a girly girl so I switched the white mice with pastel skirts in the pattern to a brighter coloured skirt and a brown mouse but she's always had a good sense of humour so I think she'll still like it despite the tutu and the wings.
Here's an endearing front on view:
The pattern reccommended that you put it together with sewing thread because its so small and fiddly but I managed quite easily just using the ends from the knitting instead. Here she is with a pound coin for scale:
I threaded her up on a loop of 'invisible thread' so that you can dangle her by the ornament loop and it looks like she's flying... (sorry, this last photo's a bit blurry; she swings about quite a bit so we couldn't get one of her staying still!)
The pattern can be found here: http://www.alandart.co.uk/products/product/87
it calls for hairspray to stiffen the star and wings and to shape the tail into a curl but I've found that hairspray doesn't really work well for keeping knitting in shape and the star and wings were plenty stiff on their own without any.
In addition to my 'tips' above, I should probably add that the mice pictured here both have two rows less in them than Mr Dart's mice. This is because I missed a line when reading the pattern to knit the first mouse, but I actually prefer them this way. The two rows that are missing would have been the last two rows of the bodice.
I also knitted a second mouse. This one is for a good friend of my mum's. I've tried to make her more winter themed than specifically Christmassy:
I need to tug that black bit of embroidery floss by her right eye into the head, but aside from that she's ready to be sent away. She's not got a loop in the pictures, but I put one on her after taking the photos.
And there's the two of them together, just for added cuteness.
I've knitted the bodies for two more and am contemplating making a little fairy mouse mobile, but until either I do that, or perhaps when Christmas rolls around again, I won't be posting any more mice like these as they're fairly similar to one another!