A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holiday Handmade Crusade 2011 :: ONGOING  (Read 11112 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stoliedina
« on: January 02, 2011 10:11:32 AM »

Geek+Nerd's January Theme for Holiday Handmade Crusade is "All the Small Things": I think when starting a year-long, post-holiday crafting adventure, that it is important to start small. Think ornaments, Christmas cards, gift tags, stocking stuffers, Advent calendar prezzies, etc. Set a small crafting goal, and be proud once you finish it!

January interview is here: http://blog.geekxnerd.com/2011/01/hhc-january-theme-gingerbread.html

Now that the Christmas season is drawing to a close, I bet that the first thing on your list, to ring in the New Year, is to start your holiday crafting for 2011!

Wait, is that just me?!

Seriously though, think of how calm and collected your holidays would be if you did a little bit of prep at a time over the next twelve months. Just mull on that a little. Are we good now? Do I seem less crazy? (Don't answer that). Are you ready to embark on a Holiday Handmade Crusade with me? Here's what you need to know:

First of all, a history of Holiday Handmade Crusade/a crafty manifesto: http://blog.geekxnerd.com/p/holiday-handmade-crusade.html

Second, some changes to Holiday Handmade Crusade for 2011...

Ch-ch-ch-CHANGES - Guest Bloggers

As many of you know, HHC is a complete labor of love. In the past, it has consumed lots of creativity and time. Last year, this consumption reached a bit of a breaking point, and that pesky little thing "real life" got in the way of my HHC ambitions. Damn.

So, this year I am reaching out to crafty friends and family to lend their creativity on my blog, Geek+Nerd: http://www.geekxnerd.com Guest bloggers will post four Mondays out of each month...

Post 1: Will introduce the monthly HHC theme, and feature an interview introducing the guest blogger.

Post 2 and 3: Will be wild cards! These posts could be tutorials, recipes, favorite holiday music mixes, stories of holiday memories, the possibilities are endless!

Post 4: Will be the guest blogger's sign off, and announcement of the HHC raffle prize of the month.

What does this change mean for my HHCer's on Craftster? Well, it is very important to me that HHC retains a connection to Craftster since, it all began here. However, I do want to see the Crusade grow and spread across the interwebs. So I will continue to cross-post the monthly themes HERE. However, if you are interested in all of the extra HHC content, you will have to visit outside of Craftster.

How the Holiday Handmade Crusade Works

1. Craft at least one gift each month. You may choose the follow the suggested theme, or ignore it completely, as long as you craft.

2. Post a picture of that item on this thread.

3. Comment on Post #4 each month linking to the picture of your gift for...

BONUS ENTRIES: Spread the crafty gospel! New this year, I will accept bonus entries. If you blog, upload to Flickr, tweet on Twitter or update your Facebook status linking to your Holiday Handmade Crusade finished item, I will accept each of those as an entry. You must link to each of those updates in a separate comment, meaning you can comment/enter the raffle a MAXIMUM of 4 times each month.

4. I will choose a raffle winner the last day of each month. Prizes=INCENTIVE to craft early!

What does this change mean for my HHCer's on Craftster? Your posts here will continue to be counted as raffle entries. However if you would like to submit up to 3 bonus entries by blogging, tweeting, Facebooking, etc, you must submit those as a comment on Post #4 each month. This will cut down the time that I am combing through the HHC thread looking for entries.

I will be kicking off the festivities in January! I will be posting the theme (here) and interview (conducted by a special guest blogger) (on the blog)later today.

I hope that you will join me for the Holiday Handmade Crusade 2011!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011 04:31:39 AM by stoliedina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
oneredboot
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011 12:35:00 PM »

can't wait for another year of the holiday handmade crusade! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011 04:16:36 PM »

Oooh, this sounds fabulous.  I meant to make more this year and then it was December. :/ 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stoliedina
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011 04:42:02 AM »

Announcements, announcements Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
jessvict
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011 07:53:15 AM »

I am in this year! I was a crazed lunatic this year crafting until 2:30 am christmas eve and until 1:00 pm christmas day trying to finish last minute things and I vowed NEVER AGAIN. I have already started and plan to be finished for christmas 2011 way before December.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011 08:01:47 AM »

I thought I was going to participate last year and then got pregnant which zapped all my subsequent energy and time.  I'm hoping to have better luck this year. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

J_Kieviet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011 08:35:58 AM »

I'm in, can't wait for the themes, but this year I will have the followng to craft for:
Mom - Calendar
Dad
Brother
Sister in law - blanket? Calendar
Niece (5.5 at Christmas 2011) - pyjama's
Niece (3 at Christmas 2011) - pyjama's
Nephew or Niece (7 months at Chistmas) - pyjama's

Not sure what kind of toys for the kids, or gifts for the men - except probably food for my brother

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Mccalls 6337 sewing pattern, if you have a copy you'd be willing to share/give/sell please let me know.  The bag costs $60 and I think perhaps I could make it cheaper/
oneredboot
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011 10:24:05 AM »

looking forward to the weekly blog posts, stoliedina!  

this week i worked on 2011 xmas cards!  every year i use the raw materials of xmas cards i received to make next year's cards.  

here's what i came up with this time:

close up:

envelopes:

this year we moved, so the received xmas cards were pretty scarce!  i supplemented with holiday catalogs from garnet hill and anthropologie.  also, usually i like to use reclaimed envelopes, but i've used up my stash and didn't feel up to making envelopes--maybe next year.  i decided to purchase envelopes--i got these brown kraft envelopes at a great price.

my xmas gift goals this year are to do less and have more fun.  so, i'm focusing on making one nice, thoughtful gift per person rather than overdoing it with a proliferation of gifts.  i really like to give sets of gifts, so this year i'll also be working on being OK with giving just one nice gift rather than several items.   i'm planning to make several pairs of handknit socks, a knitted shawl or two, and perhaps some simple lap quilts.  we'll see!    

thanks again for running this great craft-a-long, stoliedina!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011 11:45:32 AM by oneredboot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011 10:25:56 AM »

ORB, how does it not surprise me that you're so ahead already three days into the new year??!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneredboot
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011 10:29:11 AM »

ORB, how does it not surprise me that you're so ahead already three days into the new year??!

maybe b/c i don't have a newborn?  just a thought.  Smiley

hey, any ideas about how to create a set on flickr that's public for the craft-along, but that won't give away xmas secrets to linked friends and family?  i'm not the most clever with this stuff and i'd appreciate any tips!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How a Foam Roller Can Give You a Facelift in 50 Seconds
Get Taylor Swift’s Bold Red Lip From Her 2012 Glamour Cover
How to Contour for Your Face Shape
Learn the Trick to Get Bright Open Eyes
How to Go Nude (on Your Lips)
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...