A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,556
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sleepy Owl for my Mum - picture heavy  (Read 1143 times)
Tags for this thread: owl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mostly Harmless
« on: January 02, 2011 09:52:45 AM »

So my siblings and I were having trouble figuring out what to give my mum for Christmas this year. She only asked for one thing: a cookbook from a local caf which had already sold out  Roll Eyes. Then someway into December we were looking at a knitting magazine together and she pointed at a pattern for a knitted owl and said that she wanted to make one for herself one day. I was quite drawn to the owl too as I'm rather a 'night owl' myself (most creative at night and very sleepy in the morning!) My mum is like me with her crafts and always has at least half a dozen projects on the go at once so I knew that if she was going to knit one for herself it would be a pretty long time before she got round to it, therefore I decided that a knitted owl would have to be her Christmas present from me!
I worked on him almost exclusively at night time, most nights up until Christmas in fact, although my sister did harbour me in her room a couple of evenings too.
Here's a full view of him from the front, he's always ready for bed:

And if you look closer you can see he even has his own teddy:

This project had more little details than I'd anticipated for some reason, and even though I accidentally used needles a size bigger than the ones the pattern called for, some things still came out pretty fiddly. Here's his teddy in my hand for size reference:
I crochet chained him a little scarf out of the yarn I used for the hat so that he'd fit the colour scheme too.
I actually gave him to my mum without the night cap because I ran out of the yarn I was using for the nightie quite late in the game (apart from the green twinkly yarn, Ollie's made entirely out of yarn I already had in my stash) so I knitted the night cap on Christmas and Boxing Day. It's one of the bigger pieces so the stress of finishing it beforehand in secret would have been less than ideal!

As you can see, the hat's quite long but in case you can't get a sense of scale from the photo of the hat on Ollie....
...this is what it looks like on an unsuspecting sleeping Jack Russell  Grin
And finally, here's a close up of his wonky little face:

Quite obviously sewn in a frenzy on Christmas Eve!
Thankfully my mum was very pleased with her Christmas present and she has sat him up on her bedside table so that she can look at him to inspire sleepyness. I asked her a couple of minutes after she'd unwrapped him if she'd thought of a name for him and she answered "Ollie" with very little hesitation, so... Ollie the Owl it is.

Pattern Information: Ollie is knitted, with very little adaptation, from an Alan Dart pattern that was featured in the November 2010 issue of Simply Knitting. There may still be back issues around for people to order or if you're patient the pattern will probably be available for download on Alan Dart's website in a couple of years since it's not a liscenced character.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coocoosnest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011 11:45:01 AM »

This is so adorable. I'd give anything to learn how to knit. From the looks of this you must be an expert knitter. I bet your Mom and Ollie will be very happy together. Wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learning to see by the dark of the moon as well as the light of the day.
Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011 12:57:06 PM »

Thank you very much, coocoosnet!  Smiley

I've been knitting off and on since I was in primary school so probably for oer a decade now but somebody else has posted an owl from the same pattern and she's only been knitting for a couple of months! So its suitable for knitters with various levels of experience. Here's her version of the owl so you can take a look if you want:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=368153.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemissmanics
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011 02:47:53 PM »

Oh, your owl is gorgeous!!

I love how we've both had such different results from the same pattern, just by using different colours. Your teddy is incredibly cute too...that was the first bit of mine I made, so I like to think my knitting improved for the rest of the Owl. I couldn't bring myself to make a new one though, because the little bear had grown on me during the process  Smiley

I had the same issue with my nightgown rolling up too, and to be honest, I just did a little row of tiny tacking stitches to hold it onto the body at the bottom. I used the excuse of it being better for the baby, when in actual fact it was my laziness  Cheesy

Thankyou for the lovely compliments about my owl too. I did embroider the buttons on, but was only capable because of the crash course my little sister gave me (Her final exhibition for her art degree was embroidery based...and I spent the night before it was finalised up until 5.30am with her helping to add the finishing touches to her notebook! Embroidering paper was not fun!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011 03:05:00 PM »

Oh, your owl is gorgeous!!

I love how we've both had such different results from the same pattern, just by using different colours. Your teddy is incredibly cute too...that was the first bit of mine I made, so I like to think my knitting improved for the rest of the Owl. I couldn't bring myself to make a new one though, because the little bear had grown on me during the process  Smiley

I had the same issue with my nightgown rolling up too, and to be honest, I just did a little row of tiny tacking stitches to hold it onto the body at the bottom. I used the excuse of it being better for the baby, when in actual fact it was my laziness  Cheesy

Thankyou for the lovely compliments about my owl too. I did embroider the buttons on, but was only capable because of the crash course my little sister gave me (Her final exhibition for her art degree was embroidery based...and I spent the night before it was finalised up until 5.30am with her helping to add the finishing touches to her notebook! Embroidering paper was not fun!!)

Ooh no, I don't think I'd like embroidering on paper either Shocked
Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't get that nightie to lie flat!  Grin
It's always fun to hear from someone who's had a go at the same pattern...

PS: What a good sister you are - helping your sister with the frantic finishing touches for her exhibition and knitting the night owl for your niece or nephew to be!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011 03:07:41 PM by Mostly Harmless » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011 05:32:58 PM »

I think both owls are just fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to String Beads
How to Make a Shamballa Bracelet
How to Make Bridal Necklaces
How to Make a Feather Necklace
How to Make Beaded Earrings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...