A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Argh! The hideous floral carpet of doom!  (Read 860 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2011 05:51:58 AM »

Hi all,

I am soon moving into my grandma's house. Problem is I don't really have any money for decorating. I have brownish colored furniture and nice off white walls in the living room. I however hate patterns that are strong and in the room is a geometric floral rug that is mostly tan but has red roses and leaves all over it. And not pretty ones either. It's actually a good quality carpet with padding underneath but

1. totally not my style
2. I feel adds to the chaotic feeling in the room
3. is away from the wall a foot on all sides making the room seem smaller. (free floating, not tacked down. hardwood underneath in good shape).

It kinda looks like this but with a tan background:

Suggestions for what to do to make it more livable would be appreciated. Unfortunately, I love zen like things, solids and calm colors, want my living spaces calm. I am truly moving into an old lady house and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011 09:53:27 AM »

I reckon you should just do without the rug, we have just hardwood floors without rugs in our house, much better for allergies. If you wanted something, you could always paint/stencil a floor cloth, not as plushy and warm as carpet, but also not as dusty..and it does block any draughts that come from between the floor boards. this article tells you how

http://www.google.ie/search?q=making+a+floor+cloth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a  it says to use canvas, but basically any heavy weight cotton could be used. If you were really thrifty you could sew together old denim jeans and paint them....or felt sweaters and patchwork them together, with a backing of heavier cotton..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Confuzzle
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011 10:09:59 AM »

I second the hardwood. You could always sell the big rug for a little bit of extra to help with redecorating elsewhere.

If you feel that you need to keep the big rug, could you possible either a) bleach out the colors to an acceptable shade, b) redye the whole thing to a better color, or c) "dampen" the color with some sort of coffee or tea stain?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeldawning
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011 09:54:24 AM »

I am with you all - hardwood rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Dashi
Types of Miso
Korean Cooking for an American Kitchen
Fun with Food: Turn a Radish Into Mushroom
How to Make Fun Shapes with Food
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...