A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips for Creative Color Theory & Dyeing Roving?  (Read 861 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 01, 2011 09:05:40 PM »

So I'm a big fan of the color wheel. I could play with that thing all day. I know all about complements, split complements, analogous colors, etc etc whatever.

My problem is, I'm really -crap- at implementing them. At least creatively.

I'd like to do more dyeing. Especially because now my mother got me 5 pounds of wool for Christmas and I'd love to do something interesting with it. Perhaps even start selling on Etsy like I've been meaning to. But I always seem to find myself using analogous color somehow, and while they can be quite pretty, after a while they get boring. Not very interesting at all.

So for people who do a lot of dyeing, especially roving/yarn, do you have any tips? Where to do you get your inspiration? Do you maybe even just throw random colors together and see what happens? I don't know if I don't understand how to implement color theory, am not creative enough, or I'm just too darn afraid to take some chances.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011 06:30:43 AM »

oddacity,
Whenever I am trying any new colors combinations I try a small sample.  I have been dyeing alot of yarn lately, and I will take a few yards, and experiment, using dye mixed in canning jars in the microwave.

It sounds like you have already dyed some of the roving, so you know how to do it? (I raise alpacas, and dye my raw fleece, then card with my carder, so I have limited experience in dyeing roving.) 

If I am looking for color combinations that I like, I will browse etsy, looking at yarns and rovings.    Here is a link to my photos that shows one of my favorite color combinations - spruce/vermilion/gold.  The batts (roving from my carder) is fleece that I dyed each color  individually, then blended when carding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31272800@N05/

If you have questions about methods/techniques, please do not hesitate to ask!!!

Happy Dyeing,
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katesi
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011 05:53:30 PM »

Get really cheap natural fiber yarn and play with the dye. Just go nuts, have fun and write down what you do. Experiment on the garbage with color combos and then apply them on your good stuff. The colors won't be exactly the same but it should give you a good enough spring board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grr. Arg.
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011 02:51:41 PM »

I bought this book:  http://www.interweavestore.com/Knitting/Books/Color-Works.html  to help me with this too!  I don't have it yet, but from the description it sounds like a really good read to become more familiar with color.   If you have an awesome library (we don't... which is why I have to buy....)  you could check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rednightsky86
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011 11:31:39 AM »

This may sound like a little bit of cheating but I have a home decorating color book, which gives examples of good color combos, and I use that as a starting point and play with different hues and tones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susannah Cahalan on Her Book "Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness"
Sheryl Brady Presents Her Book "You Have It In You"
Alfie Boe Discusses His Autobiography, "My Story"
Authors Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian on Their Novel "Burn for Burn"
Corrine Jackson on the Inspiration Behind "If I Lie"
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...