A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP ME! cupcake frosting question for daughters b-day party  (Read 1333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nrsshasta1976

Hello all! I am CRAFTSER addicted!

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2005 10:08:09 AM »

Hello all -
     my daughter is having a huge birthday party on Saturday.  30 kids! I am making cupcakes for the kids to decorate-- should i allow them to frost them too?  and if so can i prepare the frosting in advance?  What recipe to use for the frosting?  By the way the party is a camping theme-- i have some gummy bugs and worms for them to use as decorations-- any other ideas?  any help would be greatly appreciated!  Craftster Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

Couture is lame. End of story.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005 10:18:38 AM »

OOH thats awsome! We had an arts/crafts bday party for my 5 year old last year and thought it would be a great idea for the kids to decorate their own cupcakes. We made about 30...maybe more...some were strawberry, chocolate, and plain white cake. We put food coloring in the frosting and some in the white cake to give them crazy colors to choose from. And had an aray of sprinkles, gummies, and that sort.
I think for a camping one, you could do bright red frosting (fire?), chocolate cupcakes (dirt), crushed oreos (dirt again), mini marshmellows!,  little tubes of frosting so they can write on the cupcakes, hmmm...im totally brainfarting right now...if i think of anything more, i'll post it!
the kids love doing this, so you wont have to impress them too much, any thing messy is good for them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cyanidekustoms.bravehost.com
"I dont give a fu*k about punk rock no more" -The Dwarves
I want to give the Devil back the Devils' rock n roll!
Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
SprocketJones
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005 10:31:02 AM »

Those thin little pretzels you can break into little pieces for "firewood"
and then I've seen people put a yellow and red M&M in the middle for "fire" - a little dab of frosting should hold the whole thing together.

You could have them do a camping/fishing theme - with worms and goldfish crackers.
I'll have to think more about that too...

I would think a buttercream frosting would be easy to make and use for most of them...it's easy to do parchment triangles for simple line decorations...a trick for kids - make the frosting a little bit thin so it's easy to squeeze - if it's too hard for them to squeeze it out they'll get frustrated or the perfectionists will take FOREVER!!!

Also - the smaller the containers are for the frosting the less they will use - if you put them in normal bowls - they will use HUGE spoonfuls - if you put them in condiment dishes they will use an appropriate amount - besides it will help separate the kids out if you have lots of little stations for frosting rather than one big work area.  Dixie cups tend to get crushably soft with frosting - just as an FYI!!

You could also pu
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The strangest secret in the world is that you become what you think about.  Earl Nightingale

sprocketjones.etsy.com
kmsmaverick
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005 10:41:52 AM »

what if you do the frosting, and then the kids put all the fun things on top? that would cut down on the mess, but still provide plenty of fun!  i'm 30 (just turned) and i still like to get in on that when my mom does it that way for the nieces and nephews!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nrsshasta1976

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005 11:28:24 AM »

Grin my first batch of cupcakes is in the oven now!  thank you all for your input!  I am also baking about 35 for her to take to school.  I love the gold fish cracker idea SprocketJones!  How about Swedish fish instead?  I called my mom (she is a work at a grocery store) and asked her to pick some up!  I made a fishing game for the kids to play.  i made the fish out of fun foam and put paper clips on the end of them and we made "rods" from dowel rods and attached nylon string and a magnet.  we are going to fill the little baby pool with water and fish and ta-da the fishing game!  so using the Swedish fish on the cupcakes is so cool!

I am also making a cake for her to blow out her candles-- just an eight inch round double-- i am making a "campfire" in the middle of the cake using pretzels and tootie rolls for wood and gum drops for the flames.  and then using gramcrackers for sleeping bags and vanilla wafers for heads-- that are sticking out of the sleeping bags. any other bright ideas?

as for those cupcakes i think that i will prefrost them and then give them icing to write on them with the parchment paper is genius!  i love you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rrb21
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005 11:33:49 AM »

Just to let you know...

I did the fishing pole thing in church last year with 4 and 5 yr old and I will never do it again! Just watch out, those can be deadly if they start to swing them around! If I do do it again I will only make one or two of them!

Just wanted you to know!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nrsshasta1976

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005 12:19:52 PM »

Just to let you know...

I did the fishing pole thing in church last year with 4 and 5 yr old and I will never do it again! Just watch out, those can be deadly if they start to swing them around! If I do do it again I will only make one or two of them!

Just wanted you to know!!

let us pray these kids are all in the 1st and 2nd grade that the rods will NOT become weapons!  We made 3 rods only. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rrb21
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005 12:23:42 PM »

I'm with you!! I had 6 kids/rods. Let us know how it goes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005 12:44:02 PM »

Yes, they should frost!  That's fun!  But I'd give each kid their allotment of frosting rather than letting them all go at it with a big bowl.

And yes, I would make the frosting in advance.  I'm not much of a baker, so I would lean toward buying white frosting and food colouring and mixing!

You could also use chocolate sprinkles for dirt, or fruit roll-ups for tents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allgreenthumbs
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005 08:37:33 PM »

Mashed Oreo cookies look exactly like potting soil.

My recipe for butter and shortening frosting:

cup butter, softened (but not melted)
cup shortening
1 pound confectioner's sugar, sifted (sifting not necessary if not using with decorating bags)
dash of salt
~3 tablespoons milk

Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer, add sugar and salt and beat to a powder.  Add milk, a little at a time, until desired consistency (use a knife to spread frosting up the side of the bowl to test its thickness).

It's a compromise between Buttercream frosting (too dry) and the stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth bakery stuff that has a cup of shortening to a pound of sugar - can we say "ew?"  If you want chocolate frosting, just add cocoa in 2-tablespoon increments after the frosting is done.

Okay, I just realised this thread was way old.  *sigh*  Hope your party went well.  Cheers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Highlighting Part Hair and Applying Color
How to Prepare for Hair Highlighting
Hair Highlighting Tips
Highlighting your Hair
How to Make Emo Style Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...