A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing to Experiment!  (Read 903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 01, 2011 05:28:31 PM »

I've wanted to try dyeing some yarn for several years, but never made the time to do it. I had the book One Skein that I bought ages ago for a gift and had planned to dye up some yarn to go with it. Problem was, I lost the book and didn't want to give the yarn without it, so I didn't rush to do it. I finally found the book and decided that it was time to jump in. I checked out a couple of posts (here and here) on dyeing with Kool-aid, and got the tip to use food coloring, too.

I didn't have a big enough microwave-safe dish, so I just used a pot on the stove. I added vinegar to the water and just let the yarn simmer for a while...

I split an 8 oz. skein of Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool into 3 smaller skeins (I used my kitchen scale to weigh out 2.6 oz). Since I had Kool-aid already on hand (purchased a while ago for the project), I started with that. I like how the yarn came out, but the colors were not what I was expecting.

On the left is orange (2 packets used, and it's a little more orange in real life), in the middle is cherry lemonade (2 packets of cherry and then I added 2 packets of lemonade because I thought that it would be too pink) and on the right is tropical punch (2 packets used). I did the tropical punch first and it wasn't as purple as I expected, so I skipped the grape I had been planning to use (I'll just drink it- grape is my favorite flavor!).

When I got an extra week for gift-making due to the weather, I picked up another skein of wool and some Wilton food coloring pastes. I started with the violet and found that I ended up with clumps of dye at the bottom of the pan (and on the yarn), so I pre-dissolved the other colors for the other batches. I also had no idea how much to use, and I used a bit more than I needed for the violet and blue (I had it figured out a bit better by the green). The water in the pot didn't turn clear for these, and I probably should have rinsed the yarn a bit better than I did, because I got a bit of purple on my fingers when I made the hanks. I did let my SIL know that she should probably rinse it before she uses it.

On the left is violet, in the center is delphinium blue (which came out much more purple in some spots and more blue in others) and on the right is moss green (which is my favorite).

I enjoyed it so much, that I picked up some more yarn (thank goodness for 50% off coupons) and 2 more dye colors (royal blue and teal/aqua {I forget what it's called}) so I can play around with some color mixing. I think I'll also try changing the amount of yarn that I dye each batch (I think I'll do 1 oz batches) to see if I can get more uniform color on the yarn. I plan on trying again in a couple of weeks when I have a bit of free time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
CraftyDiem
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011 08:35:21 PM »

I had no idea you could dye yarn with kool aid and food color!  Those are really beautiful.  I'm just going to have to put that on my very, very long list of "I'd like to try that someday..." For now I'll just admire yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011 07:01:23 AM »

It was unbelievably easy! Of course, my results weren't perfect, but I was pretty happy with them. My main worry was that I would felt the yarn by over-handling it, but I didn't have any problems. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it... And now, I wish I didn't have to wait 2 weeks before I could dye some more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Capricornjack
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011 08:28:49 PM »

Those would be great for some "cabbage patch kids" type dolls hair, but totally punk rock. Beautiful colors  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Detail on a Cartoon Character
How to Draw Movement on a Cartoon Character
Blackest Night Video Interview
The Art of Henna
The Art of Brown Tape
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...