A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reusable Swiffer Cover (now with pattern)  (Read 6591 times)
Tags for this thread: eco_friendly , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cricket416
Cats really don't like to ride bicycles, no matter how much duck tape you use.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2011 05:22:30 PM »

I'm on a total enviro/frugal reusable kick right now, so I decided to try making some reusable swiffer covers.  I'm pretty new to crocheting, but I thought I'd try my hand at the bobble stitch for this project and share the results here:

This is the first one I've made, and I'm actually kinda stoked to try it out tomorrow when I clean the apartment.   Cheesy

Update:  I'm such a nerd, I couldn't wait.  Spent 5 minutes swooshing around the apartment with the swiffer, and it works great!   Tongue

ETA: pattern post

Thanks!   

I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick that I had lying around from a frogged hat project... pretty much because it was the only yarn I had around that was mostly acrylic (it's only 20% wool), and I think it's the acrylic content that gives it "magic" swiffer static properties.  I think the extra bulky weight worked well, because the texture seems to trap the dirt and dust quite well.  And it was super-quick to construct.  Cheesy

I didn't use a pattern, but it super easy.  I'm not really experienced with patterns, but I'll try to write it out.  If something doesn't make sense, let me know.  Wink

(for super bulky weight acrylic yarn, 9.0mm hook)

• ch 12 (or adjust for your gauge so that your row is an even number that is 2 stitches wider than the width of your swiffer, this gives a bit of extra padding around the edge to pick up dirt along the baseboards.)
  • next 3 rows: 12 plain dc  (this is the back of the pocket that holds the cloth on the the swiffer)
  • ch 3 to start row, 3 dc bobble in 5th ch from hook, ch 1 to finish bobble, skip one stitch, repeat (bobble-ch1-skip stitch) to end of row, ending on a bobble-ch1
  • Then continue the bobble stitch for as many rows as it takes to equal the length of your swiffer.  I think I did each row like this: ch 3 to start row, 3 dc bobble in 6th ch from hook, ch 1 to finish bobble, skip one stitch, repeat (bobble-ch1-skip stitch) to end of row.  That gave me 1 ch3 and 6 alternating bobbles per row, each row started with ch3+skip1 and ended with a bobble+ch1.  Right.  I think that makes sense... the good thing is, if I messed up the pattern, no one will really notice.  It's a dust mop.   Tongue
  • Finish with 3 more rows of dc.

You should have a long, narrow piece of fabric now.  Fold dc ends over and stitch the sides to make the pockets and turn inside out, so the stitched edges are concealed.

That's it, really... I've only just learned how to crochet, and it took me about 30 minutes to make one.... so it must be pretty easy!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011 07:04:48 AM by fantasticmio » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011 06:47:44 PM »

That is amazing frugal-ness. What type of yarn did you use? Nice bobble by the way.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011 07:02:30 PM »

Do you have the pattern for that?  Those are awesome!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
cricket416
Cats really don't like to ride bicycles, no matter how much duck tape you use.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011 08:52:01 PM »

Thanks!  

I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick that I had lying around from a frogged hat project... pretty much because it was the only yarn I had around that was mostly acrylic (it's only 20% wool), and I think it's the acrylic content that gives it "magic" swiffer static properties.  I think the extra bulky weight worked well, because the texture seems to trap the dirt and dust quite well.  And it was super-quick to construct.  Cheesy

I didn't use a pattern, but it super easy.  I'm not really experienced with patterns, but I'll try to write it out.  If something doesn't make sense, let me know.  Wink

(for super bulky weight acrylic yarn, 9.0mm hook)

• ch 12 (or adjust for your gauge so that your row is an even number that is 2 stitches wider than the width of your swiffer, this gives a bit of extra padding around the edge to pick up dirt along the baseboards.)
  • next 3 rows: 12 plain dc  (this is the back of the pocket that holds the cloth on the the swiffer)
  • ch 3 to start row, 3 dc bobble in 5th ch from hook, ch 1 to finish bobble, skip one stitch, repeat (bobble-ch1-skip stitch) to end of row, ending on a bobble-ch1
  • Then continue the bobble stitch for as many rows as it takes to equal the length of your swiffer.  I think I did each row like this: ch 3 to start row, 3 dc bobble in 6th ch from hook, ch 1 to finish bobble, skip one stitch, repeat (bobble-ch1-skip stitch) to end of row.  That gave me 1 ch3 and 6 alternating bobbles per row, each row started with ch3+skip1 and ended with a bobble+ch1.  Right.  I think that makes sense... the good thing is, if I messed up the pattern, no one will really notice.  It's a dust mop.   Tongue
  • Finish with 3 more rows of dc.

You should have a long, narrow piece of fabric now.  Fold dc ends over and stitch the sides to make the pockets and turn inside out, so the stitched edges are concealed.

That's it, really... I've only just learned how to crochet, and it took me about 30 minutes to make one.... so it must be pretty easy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GlinkS1063

I can make that...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011 10:23:15 AM »

that is a super idea...i have a ton of leftover cotton yarn from making dish towels, now i know what i'm doing with the rest Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011 12:21:15 PM »

That is a really clever idea.  I like that fact that you are making something reusable out of something you already had.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo flower girl
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011 03:18:18 PM »

Ok, I just recently got a swiffer and I really like this idea!  I prefer the wet swiffer cloths, so maybe I could make some of these and just spray them with all-purpose cleaner or something?  Although I'm concerned that it would leave tiny yarn fibers on the floor. Because that would drive me nuts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
amymarie78
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011 03:33:05 PM »

What a fantastic idea!  I'll have to give that a try since you were kind enough to share the pattern! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011 07:50:54 AM »

Awesome project! I plan on making some of these as well thanks to you sharing your idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SusanSummerland
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011 03:28:25 PM »

I am so making some of these! Thanks for the pattern <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Steve McCurry: The Sartorialist for AOL On
Humans Of New York
9 Tips for Taking Better Photos
Man Creates Stunningly Realistic Diorama Of His 1950s-Era Home Town
Cover Girls: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...