A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,530
Currently Running With Scissors:
335 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Joining in the round, please help!  (Read 541 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

swingingdelirium
« on: January 01, 2011 01:00:53 PM »

I have been crocheting on and off for years, and I can never, ever, EVER get this right. I can't join my rows when working in the round in a nice way. There is always a big gap at the start of every row, or a very obvious seam where I am joining the rows. I can't make hats or amigurimi or anything of that nature, because I have never figured out how to do this simple step. I am sure that I am doing it the way it is in the how-to books, which for the most part are my only resource.

Please help!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011 01:03:58 PM by swingingdelirium » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011 01:26:59 PM »

For dc stitches, you might try doing ch2 instead of ch3 for the turning chain.  Or, even better, see if you can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LxYpo-tyi8

I wonder, though, if you're joining in the right stitch.  You might want to experiment with doing your join one stitch to the left of where you are now... just keep an eye on your stitch counts for the next round.

For motifs that have open areas, it's sometimes possible to alter how you make them so that the join is right next to a hole in the pattern.  That hole will be a bit bigger than it should be, but likely won't be noticeable.

When it comes to amigurumi, normally you don't do the joins, you work in a spiral, so you should be able to do these, even if you can't sort out this issue you're having. 

In the end, though, you're not alone!  Seams are almost always a problem when working in the round, and people have been trying to come up with creative ways around the issue whenever possible (which is the reason why amigurumi are worked in a spiral... even properly-joined rounds of sc leave a weird and noticeable seam up the side!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Butterfly

Everythin's shiny Cap'n

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011 07:00:28 AM »

I find that it works best not to join and turn but to just carry on going around in a spiral and using a stitch marker to keep track or where that is. Of course this doesn't work for every pattern but it's what I do where possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Navigator Palette
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Scrolling the Page and Changing View Size
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Zoom Tool
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Adjusting Page Size
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Fixing Dependencies Manually
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...