A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,746
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vintage suitcase, no handle?  (Read 1421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lexi_dear
« on: January 01, 2011 04:49:38 AM »

I will be picking up this suitcase next week, and want to redo it all, but im not quite sure how. the frame and locks will probably need to be painted or fixed somehow, but i'm not sure what to use, and just do in general! Any suggestions? Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
aerangis
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011 05:20:15 AM »

Myabe try to find an handle on another old suitcase? I can't think of anything homemade that would work fine...

It also depends what you want to use it for.
If I had such a suitcase, I'd probably use it as a small chest, so I wouldn't bother with a suitcase handle and go for a drawer one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClaireDeMontréal
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011 08:19:17 AM »

How about making a chair or an ottoman with it?  Go to http://curbly.com/theconcept/clippings/4950, to see one, or I remember seeing a how-to at Instructable.  Or google "suitcase chair" , you'll see some examples.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are three sorts of lies: ordinary lies, big lies, and statistics.  Mark Twain
ClaireDeMontréal
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011 08:23:12 AM »

Oh yes!  And how about a stylish pet bed???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are three sorts of lies: ordinary lies, big lies, and statistics.  Mark Twain
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011 02:40:53 PM »

That's very cool!  My first idea was to prop it open, either flat like the picture or up on one edge, and create a travel scene inside.  Postcards, maps, tickets could form a backdrop, with some 3D item like a toy train in the foreground.

For the outside, you could refinish the wood? ribs and cover the flat parts with leather or fabric, or just paint the whole things.  Definitely add some luggage labels; you can find lots online, just print and glue them on.

Lucky you!
Lee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexi_dear
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011 04:49:08 PM »

thanks for all the ideas girls! I would like to use it as storage i've decided, i have a few super old china plates i was given, as well as some cute teaspoons, plates etc and would like to keep it safe.

Any other ides on how to fix the outside? I'm a complete noob at this  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susie in the sky
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011 08:31:25 AM »

I have no idea how to go about mending it, but it's soo pretty!  I've seen suitcase-tables (like these http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=suitcase+table&wrapid=tlif12945905852181&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1003&bih=550 ) around the internet, I think they're pretty cool Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty, eco-y, charity shopp-y, vegan-y, happy-y blog...

http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/
Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011 10:44:05 PM »

Ooh! I've always wanted one to make a pet bed!
So lucky! All the antique stores around here want $60-70 for one and they are beyond unusable!
Anyway, what's the out side material?
You could just clean it and spray paint it. Or take off the "edges" and attach fabric over it with spray adhesive. And then reattach them. Maybe be creative with the handle, buy a fancy door nob one from anthropology and just screw it in!
Post pix if you do something fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexi_dear
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011 11:57:52 PM »

thanks heaps! I think i will spray paint it a pale pink, and the 'edges' gold to match a tea set i'm going to get. I'm not sure what its made of  Huh its in worse condition than i thought, hinges are unattached, but can't complain really  Wink hope it turns out ok! I have another project to finish first, then hopefully will get stuck on this one.
What is anthropology? Im an aussie, im not sure if it is a store? sorry  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011 04:36:44 AM »

thanks heaps! I think i will spray paint it a pale pink, and the 'edges' gold to match a tea set i'm going to get. I'm not sure what its made of  Huh its in worse condition than i thought, hinges are unattached, but can't complain really  Wink hope it turns out ok! I have another project to finish first, then hopefully will get stuck on this one.
What is anthropology? Im an aussie, im not sure if it is a store? sorry  Tongue

Oh! Sounds cute! You could mod podge wall paper to it as well if it's in really bad condition. Hinges are easy enough to put back on!
I meant to write anthropologie, it is a store, I know it's international, though I'm not sure where exactly. Here's a link to those fancy nobs I was talking about: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/category.jsp?popId=HOME&navAction=top&navCount=5&isSortBy=true&pushId=HOME-HARDWARE&id=HOME-HARDWARE
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Prayer of Love Book Trailer
Jayne Amelia Larson on Driving the Saudis
Michael Feinstein Shares Memories of the Gershwins
Rachael Ray Talks About Her New Book, My Year in Meals
R.L. Stine Shares Discusses the Main Ingredients for a Horror Novel
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...