A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone tried Oh Fransson's Tokyo Subway Quilt?  (Read 1792 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cindyjane
« on: December 31, 2010 08:57:45 PM »

Has anyone made this?
http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2010/08/tokyo-subway-map-quilt-basics-and-supplies.html
I've been looking at it for a while, it's just awesome, but the squares are 2" and I think I'd go blind and/or nuts. I'm wondering about making 3" squares, but worried it may be huge.
Any ideas greatfully accepted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011 05:07:07 PM »

Oooh. I'm about to start this one.

I think 3" squares would be good. My math isn't great today, but I think that would make it end up being something in the range of a decently sized king (100ish inches square.) I've been considering making it with some Kona roll-ups, and modifying it to be 2.5x2.5" squares for the sake of simplicity. If you do decide to go with plain 2" squares, and cost isn't much of a concern, look into the fusible that has a grid printed on it. (It's detailed in threads on pixel quilts). You iron on the squares in the correct layout, then fold along the lines and seam. Pretty foolproof, and no need to go blind. (If you do decide to do this, I've discovered the glory that is a teflon pressing mat - keeps your iron from getting gunked up)

Keep us updated on your progress if you do go ahead! (Honestly, I wish there was more quilt along stuff on this site - Might keep me a little more motivated to finish things.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lnsybean44
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011 06:58:11 PM »

I have not tried this quilt because I am just not up to sewing such small patchwork yet. Im fairly new and I am still trying to get myself to sew scant quarter inch seams. My quarter inch foot just isnt doing it for me Smiley

However, if you are worried it will be too big you can always cut off a row/column or remake the design to fit into the size you want with some grid paper to draw your your subway lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monkeybeans
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011 11:17:46 PM »

I know a couple of people who have made/are making this quilt top. I agree, it's an awesome quilt! The 2 inch squares can be a little crazy making but since it's assembled one block at a time, it's easy enough to give yourself breaks. The fusible grid is a great idea although you do need to be aware that it will alter the final weight and, to some degree, texture of your finished quilt. One person is cutting the white fabric as she goes so that if a block has a large white area she can make a larger cut of the white rather than piece a bunch of white squares together. Does that make sense/ For example, one block may have a 6"x8" area that is all white. Rather than piece a bunch of small squares together, you could just cut the larger piece and sew it in with the colored squares. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come see what I've been up to at
http://megsmonkeybeans.blogspot.com/
cindyjane
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011 04:27:04 PM »

All good ideas, thanks. Actually I really the larger white blocks, that would definitely keep me interested. Also, it would give the overall pattern a slightly random patchwork look, which I think would be cool. I have my fabric all ready to go, but the idea of 891 2" white squares is just too much! I know they would end all around the house, courtesy of my helpful dog and cat.
I measured up the quilt top as 2.5" squares, and it almost makes a queen size quilt. Think I'll stick with 3". It will be big, but not quite so maddening to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011 06:04:35 PM »

LOL..   yeah. I'm still finding bits from the last couple of pixel quilts I did kicking around. I'm simply going with 2.5 because that's the dimension of the precut rollups Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewsweetness
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011 01:08:46 AM »

Ooo I have this on my wishlist to try in the near future!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011 03:14:32 PM »

Ooo I have this on my wishlist to try in the near future!
Me too.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Plum Patchwork
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011 05:52:55 PM »

Oh, I so want to but I'm afraid I will go nuts referring back to my computer every two seconds to get the layouts right.  That's sometimes how I feel about quilt alongs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011 07:52:33 PM »

Oh, I so want to but I'm afraid I will go nuts referring back to my computer every two seconds to get the layouts right.  That's sometimes how I feel about quilt alongs.

Oh, honey, that's why god invented printers and pencil crayons. Seriously - That's how I rework a lot of layouts before I actually do them (And it works wonderfully for the mixtape modern directions to keep me from getting confused Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing Tricks and Techniques
Glass Blowing Safety
How to Use Stencils in Scrapbooking
How to Use Ribbon Sliders for Scrapbooking
How to Use Vellum with Scrapbooking
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...