A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: NOEL!  (Read 1567 times)
Tags for this thread: papercraft_challenge_17  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ceep
« on: December 31, 2010 04:49:15 PM »

The broad theme of this card is "Home is wherever you find yourself."    

The envelopes

Each one is personalized to show a bird's eye view of the recipient's neighborhood. (YOUR home.)

(The envelope concept was inspired by Rahul Mahtani & Yofred Moik's Google maps envelope, http://googleenvelope.com/, but the idea doesn't work so well when you live on the east coast. Not to mention that it's only a concept, not a real app. There is a real app, http://mapenvelope.com/,  that will print an envelope from a Google map for you, but I didn't want the text box and the pin in the map.)

Card front

Our older daughter is missing from this picture.

First the card opens from right to left.

She's away at college. (HER home.)  To understand the joke you need to know that her initials are E.L.

Around the perimeter are the town names of everyone on our card list.  
(EVERYONE'S homes.) The background map depicts the area between her college and where we live.

Next the card unfolds from bottom to top.

The "NOEL NOEL" part flips to the back so you can stand it up with the tree part on the front.  (That's why the letters are wonky, so it reads the same this way, and upside down when the flap is flipped to the back.)

Our Christmas letter is on the inside of the folded up tree.  I drew out the trees in CorelDraw and cut them with my Craft Robo.  No way could I hand cut 100 trees with all those little scallops!

College daughter drew the portraits.  The samplers on the wall reiterate the theme.

The back of the card (not shown) has our contact information and a link to our year-end slideshow.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011 04:09:40 AM by ceep » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011 08:26:37 AM »

Wow! I'd love to get a clever card like this! Love the play on words, the "hidden" letter, the whole thing. Gonna have to figure out something to do with the links you gave, too. Great work!

Did you enter it into Sweets Forever's holiday card challenge? You have until the 9th to do that to win some awesome stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011 03:34:21 PM »

What a fun card!  I love that it's interactive.

I once started a 'welcome to the neighborhood' card for new neighbors by using Google maps but thought that it was kinda creepy to see their house that clearly over the computer (Even though my house was just across the street).  I can see it being much better for someone I know better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
ceep
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011 03:40:40 PM »

Oh, I know.  There are some geographic places where the map resolution is so good that I had to back out a few clicks so I wouldn't totally seem like a creeper. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011 12:03:31 AM »

Congrats, ceep!!  You've won the Greeting Card Challenge! Smiley  Please check your Personal Messages for prize pack information.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
jeerybarton
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011 01:32:51 AM »

Good idea! thank you sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Despicable Me, The Kids Are All Right, & Predators
How to Create New Sequences Quickly in Premiere Pro CS5
What Not to Do During an Acting Audition
Good Advice for Young Directors
How to Approach a Monologue in Acting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...