A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: big blue vodka bottles  (Read 2467 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

steiconi
« on: December 30, 2010 07:45:39 PM »

a friend of mine drinks Skyy vodka.  Since I asked for a few bottles, she has given me at least a dozen, mostly the large size.  Yeah, maybe I should talk to her about her drinking, but in the meantime, any suggestions for these gorgeous cobalt blue bottles?

I'd kinda like to make a bench, inspired by bottle houses in old ghost towns, but am not sure how to go about that, and would probably be happy with another project if I just knew what that was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
aerangis
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011 05:36:19 AM »

One of my friend created a small wall to separate area in his garden, it was maybe 70cm high and 20cm wide, with beer bottles (how classy is that :p). We spent a day to built it, we used mortar and inserted bottles so that the bottom was visible on the face of the wall. It's sturdy enough and actually looks quite nice, but colors aren't that great if you ask me!

Now, with pretty blue bottles, you surely can do much better!
If you want a bench, I'd go for white mortar and built a modern curvy one... but 12 bottles may not be enough...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011 02:44:57 PM »

Thanks for the tips!  A wall might be cool, too.  My friend gave me 3 more bottles last night (no, she didn't drink them all yesterday), and she still loves the stuff, so I should eventually have enough for a project.  I could also ask for some on freecycle...
thanks!
Lee

One of my friend created a small wall to separate area in his garden, it was maybe 70cm high and 20cm wide, with beer bottles (how classy is that :p). We spent a day to built it, we used mortar and inserted bottles so that the bottom was visible on the face of the wall. It's sturdy enough and actually looks quite nice, but colors aren't that great if you ask me!

Now, with pretty blue bottles, you surely can do much better!
If you want a bench, I'd go for white mortar and built a modern curvy one... but 12 bottles may not be enough..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
BroadwayBound313
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011 06:54:18 PM »

You could make vases or glasses (depending on how large the circumference is you could use them for drinking or as pencil holder/make-up brush holder etc.). If you don't have glass cutting tools they're generally not incredibly expensive and if you can't afford it here's an article on how to cut a glass bottle with string.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4855477_cut-glass-bottle-string.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming? That's where I'll always love you, Peter Pan. That's where I'll be waiting." -Tinkerbell

http://www.wists.com/BroadwayBound313
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011 10:23:30 PM »

I suck at cutting glass.  Flat glass, curved glass, it comes out totally wonky and useless.  We used to do the string method when we were kids, maybe I'll try that...  I originally wanted the bottles to make shades for three hanging lights.  I counted today, and have more than two dozen bottles, and that doesn't count the ones I broke trying to cut them or the ones I gave away.

You could make vases or glasses (depending on how large the circumference is you could use them for drinking or as pencil holder/make-up brush holder etc.). If you don't have glass cutting tools they're generally not incredibly expensive and if you can't afford it here's an article on how to cut a glass bottle with string.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4855477_cut-glass-bottle-string.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011 11:53:11 AM »

They make beautiful little serving trays if you know someone with a kiln:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=361059.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011 10:39:52 PM »

I dont know anything about building benches so unfortunately I can't help you there.
But if you happen to have an extra one left over, for my anniversary (my bf is a big wine drinker) I took a a bottle, soaked it in warm water and soap until the label came off, and etched the word 'love' in 30 (50???) languages and filled it with scraps of paper with reasons why I loved him. (difficult to impossible to get out) but still cute and sentimental. He loved it by the way. I figured I'd throw that idea out there since those blue bottles would be beautiful etched and valentines day is coming up.

...maybe you could do something similar and fill it with reasons why your friend should stop drinking? Wink (but then where would you get those pretty bottles!?) jk. Cant wait to see this finished bench!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011 04:49:21 PM »

hee hee hee

...maybe you could do something similar and fill it with reasons why your friend should stop drinking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stephsthename
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011 06:48:37 AM »

whatever you decide to do with them, when you're done, you could buy a bottle tree for the garden or patio and put the rest on there.  they're really popular in south mississippi, and they're really pretty when the light hits the bottles.  here's a picture:
(* mine is inside, because i'm still an apartment dweller, but my boyfriend's mom offered to buy me one & i couldn't pass up the opportunity, so i'm saving for when i have a yard.  i'm sure you could find a way to craft one by driving metal bars into a wooden stake or something if you can't find one to buy, then just secure in the ground with concrete...?)

sorry the pic is small of the actual tree. this is a pic i took for my mom to show her the apartment; it's the only bottle tree pic i have at the moment. heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011 01:14:57 PM »

I have found a great project for these.  We built a small pond, and needed a retaining wall to keep the dirt out.  I stuck the bottles neck down into the dirt, all lined up and tight together in a row.  I need to add a little concrete in behind them, then backfill with dirt and top with plants.  If I ever get a working camera, I'll post pix in an appropriate forum.

thanks for all the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crystal Chan: What Are You Reading?
The Frackers: Wildcatters Who Made It Big
John Tayman: How Byliner Pays Its Writers
Victoria Wilson on Legendary Actress Barbara Stanwyck
An Extended Look at a Great Game: Hockey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...