A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homecoming mums! (Image heavy)  (Read 4911 times)
Tags for this thread: homecoming , mum  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PrincessJasmine
« on: December 30, 2010 03:05:07 PM »

I don't know if I put this in the right place, but it seems like an accessory bauble to me.

I don't know if homecoming is celebrated in other states, but here in Texas it is a huge ordeal. The girls and guys wear these huge mum flowers with long streamers. Don't know why, but it is a tradition. I was asked to make this one for a very special young lady (whom I love and adore) who cheers, it is her first high school game and her first Homecoming. I put some really personal touches in it. Here in Texas, you can buy a majority of this stuff pre-made, then you just assemble it with whatever accessories you want. Its a bunch of tacky plastic stuff from China and pretty junky in my opionion. So I made some charms from shrinky dinks with the school logo, and a megaphone from an old vinyl record. Their school initials is JC and her name also just happens to be Julie. I also put a disco ball on here which is an old Christmas ornament and included black and white damask ribbon which is a special print to her. The J in the center of the flower is an iron on applique which I glued using E6000 to some foam core board. It has beaded necklace so that she can wear it around her neck or pin it on her shirt. It is about 36" long. I also made one for the boyfriend which is smaller, attached to a garter and worn on the arm.

Close up of the flower part.  I love the alphabet blocks that spell out HOMECOMING.  The cheer parts around the flower are actually these buttons sold with the scrapbooking stuff.  The springy stars are sold where the giftwrap is.

Here are some of the charms I made, the Texas one is actually their school logo and I made it from shrinky dinks.  The megaphone with the letter J on it is made from a vinyl record (because she is a musician and I wanted music in it).  I used E6000 to glue the rhinestones on.

I wanted to have a few recycled bits, hence the record, but I also made a candy wrapper chain from granola bar wrappers and chip bags.  Its unfinished in the photos because my hands started hurting, but I had it finished before I gave it to her. Another view to see more of the pretty ribbons.

Here is the boyfriend garter mum

This one is smaller, worn on the arm with a garter. I also attached a pin where he could pin it instead of using the garter because it seemed scratchy to me. The boy ones are not supposed to be as *loud* as the girls' mums. This one is about 12" long

Again on this one I used iron on collegiate block letters for the center of the mum and some whispy girlie feather boa around it to make it a little flirty and fun

I spent about $30 on materials for both mums, but to have one made, they retail for about $250 for the one like I made for the girl and probably about $25 for the boy one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010 04:15:27 PM »

Wow those are cool! What a great idea to personalize it so. They look excellent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karismaklysm
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010 05:12:01 PM »

this is really cool! at my college, daisy chains were the big thing- everybody put daisy chain lace on their grad gowns and stuff, but i wish i had done it bigger.

more like these! super cool! hope everybody else was jealous of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The world may be long for you, but it'll never belong to you..." -the decemberists
JustKat

I LUV 2 Craft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010 08:56:16 PM »

I can remember the first time I was introduced to these things. I moved to Columbus, TX. I was so embarrassed when my boyfriend showed up with one for our homecoming and I had nothing for him. I really had no idea what this was. I felt terrible that I hadn't gotten something for him.
Anyway these are really great! Mine was red and white and I remember having a bell on it. Blue and silver looks so much more awesome!
Great job.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010 08:56:44 PM by JustKat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Di50
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011 06:30:48 PM »

found a good site for homecoming ideas and books.

http://www.fileswap.com/folder/jf1V33uQ/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Baby Care Products Are Good for Your Skin
Carrie Underwood’s Beauty Secret
Target Adds Luxury Skincare Products
DIY Face Peel at Home
How to Avoid Common Beauty Blunders
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...