A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: To Jelly Rolll or not to Jelly Roll  (Read 1567 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pepperpincushion
« on: December 30, 2010 09:24:30 AM »

I am about to attempt my first quilt but I can't decide if it would be better to use a Jelly Roll or to just cut my own fabrics? I could make it more cheaply using my own fabrics so if it wasn't very successful I would have wasted less money, but if I do a pattern from my "Jelly Roll Quilts" book using a jelly roll ten will I have a better chance of it being successful since there will be less margin for error in the cutting?
Advice please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010 01:16:46 PM »

I have never made a jelly roll quilt, but the jelly roll books look lovely so I'd like to try.

IF you have a rotary cutter and cutting mat, then it is just as easy to cut your own fabrics, not so scary once you get going at it. No margin of error. Just take your time. Make your own jelly roll!

However, using pre-cut strips will take less time and it seems like a good way to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grendelsmom
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011 10:29:44 AM »

Jelly rolls are convenient but they're pricey and I've had so-so luck with the accuracy of their measurements, so you may as well cut your own 2.5-inch strips.  If you have a rotary cutter and mat, and you take your time, you'll be fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caraces
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011 04:38:52 PM »

I just made my first quilt and to be honest cutting with a rotary mat is super easy. You could try making a small quilted table runner first if you're worried about the fabric cost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011 08:30:12 AM »

If you are looking for a "jelly roll" quilt to make, ps i quilt has a "quilt-a-long" happening right now. 

Its a postage quilt, using jelly rolls. Details here.

Like others said above, you could make your own jelly roll (be careful, take your time, double check your measurements before you cut) to save money.

I'm going to participate in the quilt-a-long, but decided to go half-and-half.  There was a sale before New Year's at my local machine shop, so I picked up Central Park at 30% off.  And yesterday, I purchased yardage of Kona Cotton in Ash at Joann Fabrics, again using one of their 40% off coupons. I plan on cutting my own jelly roll strips tonight! 

Whatever you do decide, have fun!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011 12:46:13 PM »

I think the main advantage of buying a Jelly Roll is that you get a sample of each of the fabrics in the collection.
If you had to buy a half yard of each it would be expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
CraftyDiem
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011 07:06:46 PM »

Starting out I think it would be better to cut your own - if you have a mat and rotary cutter (or a friend with one!)  In my mind the only time to buy precuts are when (A) they are EXTREMELY on sale - sometimes even free (plus shipping) at the Missouri Star Quilt Co. or (B) you have fallen desperately in love with the entire line of fabric and you cannot live another moment unless you have every single print in every single color!  Both have happened to me and I have a bit of a collection going...  but my hoarding is besides the point. 

I would say go pick out a few pieces of fabric you love from Joann or even online and cut them up yourself.  It's really easy to do and then you have some more options if you decide you don't want everything to be 2.5 inch strips. 

Either way have fun!  Sure the blocks will be more "perfect" if everything is cut precisely and sewn exactly - but there are always imperfections that bring the humanity to our work.  Jump in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011 02:41:34 AM »

I want a jelly roll...of course I cannot get them here, but they look so pretty...lol I am not sure I would use them, I might just look at them and stroke them..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011 08:07:05 AM »

I'm fussy about things, at times, so I tend to prefer the jelly cuts - I find it extremely difficult to cut accurate strips (to the point where I"m considering buying one of the Singer doomahickeys to do it for me). My personal feeling is that for a successful first quilt, you want to simplify as much as possible - you don't want to get discouraged at any point, because the chance of quitting is high - you never get the "payoff" until almost the end, with quilting. Once you're experienced at piecing with minimal frustration, then go for cutting your own, slowly complicating the steps until you're doing a Dear Jane with ease Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011 10:01:18 AM »

Everyone enjoys one part of the process more than another. If cutting isn't your favorite quilting activity - don't stress over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Torn Seam
How to Put a Thread on a Sewing Machine
How to Create Ruffles
How to Mend a Patch
How to Sew a Zipper
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...