A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Chunky Cowl + Pattern  (Read 6322 times)
Tags for this thread: cowl , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jjgirl

I love crochet patterns & crochet hats!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2010 07:31:22 AM »

I've been seeing all these chunky cowl lately at places like The Limited, American Eagle, JCrew that I knew I'd have to make my own.  (Curse of the knitter/ crocheter/ diyer, right? ha)  They're the hot look for winter.

I've been making cowls left and right with super bulky yarn and I'm loving how fast they work up.  Most are less than an hour and take one skein of yarn.  You can't beat it!  I've written out the patterns for the cowl below, but you can find more info about them on My Blog: http://jjcrochet.com/blog/crochet-cowl-pattern-free-chunky-bulky-perfect-for-winter/

Worn loose:

Or doubled for a thick chunky crochet cowl:

Materials
Size P crochet hook (11.5mm)
100 110 yards of Super Bulky Yarn.  I used 1 skein of Lionbrand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in Barley.

Special Stitches
FCH Foundation Chain (or single crochet chain): Chain 2. Insert hook in the first of two chains.  Yarn over, draw through loop (chain stitch just created). Yarn over, pull through two loops on hook. (Single crochet created). You now have two fch completed. *Insert hook in upper loop of stitch just created. Yarn over, draw through loop. Yarn over, pull through two loops on hook.* Three fch completed. Repeat from * to *across for desired number of chain stitches.

HHDC Herringbone Half Double Crochet. Yarn over, insert hook in next stitch. Yarn over, pull through two loops on hook. (This will be a little awkward, but its correct. You might have to use your left thumb and forefinger to really hold the stitches so you can pull through both of them.) Yarn over, pull through two loops on hook.

Directions
FCH 77. Do not join.  [If the foundation chain scares you, just do a regular chain - it won't make that much difference in your cowl.]

Round 1: Chain 2 (counts as first HHDC now and throughout).  HHDC in each stitch across. (77 HHDC)

Round 2: Chain 2, turn.  HHDC in the BACK LOOP ONLY of each stitch across. (77 HHDC)  Working in the back loops only creates a slight ribbed effect.

Repeat Round 2 seven more times.

Fasten off, leaving a 12 inch tail.  Lay piece flat in a long rectangle.  Grabbing either end, bring short sides together.  Add a twist by flipping the right side once.  Match up sides and whip stitch together.  Weave in ends.

To create the infinity loop in your cowl, instead of sewing the sides of your cowl together like this:

Right Side           Left Side

A                              A

B                               B

You should sew them together like this:

Right Side           Left Side

A                                B

B                                A

That's it - so simple, right?  I'd love to see any crochet cowls people make from this pattern.  Careful, though - it's addicting!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010 07:49:40 AM by fantasticmio - Reason: please link to the specific blog post in the future! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy: www.jjcrochet.etsy.com
My Website: http://www.jjcrochet.com
My Blog (with free crochet + knit patterns!): www.jjcrochet.com/blog
www.facebook.com/jjcrochet
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010 08:05:18 AM »

I keep picking up the bulky yarns but was not sure what I could make with them...this is great!

Thanks for the pattern...now I have an excuse to buy some of that yarn!

It looks lovely on you and warm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Watermarks
How to make HD Videos Using Cyberlink Power Director
How to Design a Haunted House Part 1/3
How to Design a Club Flyer - Putting it all together 13/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Working with Gradients Part 5/14
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...