A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wrist Braces for Knitters  (Read 817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chainleen
« on: May 26, 2005 05:09:57 AM »

Hi Everyone!  I just started knitting, I am currently working on my first scarf.   I finally got my stitches down however and realized that my left hand is killing me, I'm knitting left handed and it feels like my left wrist was stepped on by an elephant.

I know the most obvious fix would be to teach myself right handed, but left handed just felt so much more natural. I already have a brace that prevents me from flexing my wrist down (I curse thee carpal tunnel) but was wondering if anyone has been using something else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005 06:02:07 AM »

I went through the same thing when I began to knit socks.  I had been knitting for years but never ventured into socks. 

The sock knitting used a whole different set of wrist and forearm muscles...and these built up and I now have no issues. 

Keep at the knitting, give yourself time off, try to hold your knitting and yarn loosely.  Hopefully this will improve. 

HOWEVER, should it not, do check with a dr.  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
neverendingjourney
I have gone to find myself, if I get back before I return please tell me to wait. Thank you!

If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005 06:42:23 AM »

KEEP ON KNITTING!!!
i have been into as of november, and let me tell you........my pinky is the only thing that still hurts....all the time, i just have came to the fact, it wont stop! for the longest time my fore arm killed me!
im a right hand knitter, and my husband calls me a crotch knitter...hehe, i pretty much poke my left needle towards my crotch, and use my right hand to keep working....(if that makes sence!)
darla
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day & may their arms be too short to scratch
chainleen
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005 07:07:29 AM »

I have no intention of quitting yet Smiley There's too much stuff I'd like to make! I try to make sure I take frequent breaks to stretch my hand and I try not to hold everything loosely.  I may force my way through some right handed rows every now and then to give my left hand a break.  It could even be non-knitting related, I'm hoping in a few days it works itself out although it seems to be a reoccuring issue at certain times due to work, sleeping wrong etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005 05:06:30 PM »

I keep a pair of braces in my knitting bag- during the school year my hands are so cramped from typing endless essays that it's difficult to knit without them.
The kind I have are peachy-colored. I got them at Hobby Lobby for about $11.  They're a pretty simple concept- tight spandex-ish material on the wrist portion, with looser satiny material (with holes left for fingers) on top.  I'm sure they'd be easy & cheap to make yourself, if you sew.  I just wasn't able to find proper fabric for them.
Good luck, & I hope your wrists feel better soon. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
DaisyGamgee
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005 07:06:54 AM »

IMHO, Futuro makes the *best* wrist and hand support gloves: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=69908&catid=10279&brand=7758&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=10279&trxp2=69908&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=7758

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chainleen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005 11:08:50 AM »

Thanks for that link! That type of brace actually looks like it would support the top of my wrist and hand better which is the part that always bothers me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeginnerKnitter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005 03:41:05 PM »

I am currently working on a hat, and I have found that it's not my wrist, but my shoulder that hurts! Guess I'm getting too into it! I throw the yarn around the needles in a full arm movement! I must learn to stop this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005 04:07:58 PM »

I agree w/ tinygoatsacker.  I have the same wrist thingies and use them when  I'm going to be knitting or working with seed beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
How to Crochet a 5 Chain Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/3
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/3
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...