A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recipes to use up some wine?  (Read 539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2010 06:20:38 PM »

So . . . my sister got me some red wine for Christmas.  Really sweet idea.  Unfortunately, the wine is not very good.  I'm hardly a connoisseur but . . . it's just not very much fun to drink.  But I am having a little New Year's party on Friday, so I thought I could maybe mix the wine with something, to make it, uh, drinkable.  Does anyone know of any wine cocktails I can make?  If I add enough sugar and spices to it, can I make a decent mulled wine, or do you really have to start out with a half-way decent wine for that to work? 

Thanks, all, and happy New Year's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
JulieML
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010 10:22:32 AM »

If you are going to cook with wine you generally want to start out with something tasty, cooking intensifies the flavor. Try  mixing the wine with a sparkling water or sparkling flavored water. Red wine maybe with raspberry flavored water.)
Try simmering the wine with a couple cinnamon sticks & a little brown sugar or honey & make a glaze for fruit or a syrup for ice cream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011 01:08:07 AM »

Hello, Ambri

It might be to late, but I wanted to give you the recipe for "glgg" - it is a traditional drink around Christmass time in Scandinavia. I think it is originally from Sweden, maybe inspired by the German Gluewein.
  The spices does mask the taste of the wine, so it doesent matter if it isn't to good. But be carefull - maybe you just doesn't like the taste of the wine, and then it is ok to spice it. But maybe the wine is bad - and you risk a terrible hangover  Roll Eyes

Here is the recipe - I used Google translation from this site: http://www.dk-kogebogen.dk/info/link-til-os/hoejtid/jul/jul-drikke.php

Serve hot, in small cups, and enjoy!

1 dl. vodka
 5 whole cinnamon sticks
 20 whole cloves
 1 small paragraph. ginger
 1 tsp. crushed cardamom (in shell)
 1 pc. Seville orange peel   
 7.5 dl. red wine
 50 g. sugar
 1 tsp. vanilla

75 grams raisins
 50 grams almonds

Come vodka, cinnamon broken into smaller pieces, whole cloves, whole ginger, coarsely crushed cardamom with shells and Seville orange peel in a glass with a close-fitting lid and let it soak for approx. 1 day.

Strain the spices from the vodka. Pour wine and vodka in a saucepan. Add sugar, vanilla, almonds and raisins. Warm mulled wine slowly.

Tips:

Warm mulled wine are not over 60 Celsius degrees as the alcohol evaporates above this temperature.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 8/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 7/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 12/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 11/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 2/12
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...