A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Five-Dollar-Dinner Cookalong?  (Read 19257 times)
Tags for this thread: cooking , recipe , frugal , frugality , dinner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shadeweaver

My reality check just BOUNCED!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010 09:27:16 AM »

Tonight I am making a turkey I bought the weekend after Thanksgiving.  It is a bit over 10 lbs and was .79 per lb and came to 8.22 for the entire bird.  This is out of the single day budget, but we will get 4 or more full meals from the bird.  I know I do not have enough potatoes nor instant potatoes to make enough mashers ...so I will be doing some creative mixing to make it go far enough and use up the potatoes that are starting to get old.  I have carrots and celery my mom and dad got in their month food share package (something you should do if your area has it) ... so they were free to me. 

I am still working on breakfast for my husband, son and myself ... so thinking of dinner is sort of at the side .... off to make three - 3 egg mushroom and cheese omelets with a total of $1.12 (yes that is for all 3 and not each!).

Side note ... did anyone see that show on A&E called "Extreme Couponing" last night?  Amazing what some people can do with those things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap?  Heck Yeah!

http://www.wists.com/Shade
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010 09:51:57 AM »

I'm in! We're a family of 5, so our meals get ludicrously expensive sometimes. This is just the sort of challenge I need to knock our grocery bill down a little.

We also do breakfast for dinner quite a bit. Pancakes and scrambled eggs clock in at way under $5 ($.99 for a dozen eggs, maybe $1.50 for my homemade pancakes, including the butter and milk). And biscuits and gravy also ($1.20 for biscuits, $2 for 2 cans of gravy).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
lady4feet
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010 02:47:52 PM »

As a New Years Resolution I'm trying to stick to a cheap and healthy way of cooking. There are two of us and we spend about $70 a week Huh  Shocked ! I also use coupons when I can and try to buy what's on sale. We do get bottled water (tap taste like chlorine/ $6.25 a week) and  sometimes we get a bag of peanuts a couple times a month; to feed our chipmunks and squirrel outside (around $8 a month). We don't eat much meat and do eat veggie burgers and Quorn.

Tonight I made Cheesy Chili Mac:      Annie's Mac and Cheese  $1.10
      (rounding off for things we had)       1/4c Skim Milk              $  .15
                                                        Med. Onion                  $  .30
                                                        Red Pepper Flakes 1Tb.  Free (bought at $1 store .05?)
                                                        1/2lb Ground Beef          $1.40 (80% lean)
                                                        1Tb. Olive Oil                $  .10
                                                        1/8c Mustard                $  .10
                                                        1/4c Ketchup                $  .15
                                                        Sour Cream(Light)          $  .25
                                                       --------------------------------------------
                                                                               Total:  $ 3.60 for 2 people  Cheesy

We do cheesy chili mac too quite a bit. Only I just use mac and cheese, ground beef, salsa and if I have it on hand a can of corn. Typically serve it with cornbread. Yum and easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010 03:58:11 PM »

Bag 'o pinto beans    .75
Ham hock               1.00
Cornbread mix         1.00
Milk                       Free (Got a free gallon of milk)
Butter                    .10
Cast Iron skillet for Cornbread              PRICELESS!

Cheap dinner and delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010 05:25:30 PM »

tonight: leftovers.  free!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010 05:55:17 PM »

Ah! I had to do this for a project when I was taking independent living at my high school!!!

I don't live on my own right now and I rarely cook, but our grocery bill is pretty high, and that's with only 3 people living here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
ChrissyCrafts
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010 07:11:02 PM »

Tonight Chili Cheese Mac from last night.... "Free Meal"                    $ .00
                                                           Half a 24oz. Diet Pepsi    $ .25 ($3 for 6pk)
                                                           Evil Snack Machine Fritos $ .85 (working late)
                                                         ---------------------------------
                                                                                             $1.10

The BF had a Annie's Barrito and greek yogurt                    Barrito   $2.90
                                                                                 Yogurt   $1.00
                                                                             --------------------
                                                                             Final Total  $4.00           
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChrissyCrafts
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010 07:20:26 PM »

We ended up getting a two Free turkeys and a Free lasagna with our point rewards at the grocery store! There is still turkey meat that we couldn't really eat and I plan to make soup next week or two with it.
      Another good money saver is save the tids and bits of veggies that you would throw away making a salad,getting a little wilted, etc. and save them in a ziplock baggie in the freezer! You can make vegetable stock, stir frys, meatloaf, possibilities are endless.
      Same goes for meat like beef...save a table spoon or two every time you cook a meal. Cook it plain and put it in a baggie or container in the freezer. Every week or month (depends how much meat you eat) you get a "free" meal. Everyone won't notice a couple of tablespoons missing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010 07:55:00 PM »

I'm in! Here's one of my "need to go shopping soon" meals from last week:

Ramen noodles: $.65
Mixed an egg in the ramen broth: free (house sat for my friends with chickens)
Topped with half a tomato: $.30
Rice: $.15
Stir-fried:
-Snow peas: free (food shelf)
-Onions and green onions: $.40
-Soysauce, sesame oil, olive oil: $.20
Glass of lime seltzer: $.30
TOTAL: $2.00
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010 12:31:21 PM »

thelastkodama - looks delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...