A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: snowgloabe jewelry help  (Read 745 times)
Tags for this thread: snow_globe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aisy
« on: December 29, 2010 12:06:13 PM »

so ive seen this seller on etsy for a while and i was wondering if anyone knows how to make these? i would love to make snowgloabe jewelry for myself and my younger cousins. any siggestions?
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010 01:28:11 PM »

I don't know where she purchased those "globe" ring blanks, and tried to find the blanks but couldn't really find a good source:
http://images.google.com/images?q=globe+ring+blank
http://images.google.com/images?q=ring+blanks

There are various of the bottom parts like she used though online:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/26581063/woodland-deer-diorama-ring?ref=v1_other_2
You could perhaps find the plastic half-globes somewhere, then choose a ring blank that's flat on the top and would fit it that globe, and make yourself.

The inside of the globe part is probably filled with mineral oil or glycerin, or 50/50 water & glycerin and it's probably glued down with a 2-part epoxy glue. 

Does that help at all?

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
aisy
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010 01:56:41 PM »

that is helpful though i need to know where she got the blanks lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheTinyTiara
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010 08:57:20 PM »

Hello,

I am the seller who's items are in question. Without causing much trouble, I'd like to say that this post is slightly offensive to me and my ideas. Supporting handmade art is very important to me. It is insulting to know that instead of wanting to purchase the item that was my original idea, you would rather buy the supplies and make it yourself. I would hope that my item is not assumed to be so simple to make.

From time to time people have written to me and asked where I get my supplies because they would 'like to make their own'. This statement is offensive to someone who originally had the idea and spent a lot of time and wasted a lot of supplies perfecting the technique. While I am flattered that you admire something I've made, I hope you see where I'm coming from.

I am a self taught crafter and a single parent who works a full time day job as a waitress. I work very hard to find the time and energy to keep my shop up and running. I have been very lucky to find a niche on Etsy. My ideas are what have kept this shop afloat. I hope that you understand that there is a difference between taking those ideas to copy, and finding your own inspiration from the items and making something new and original from them.

Good luck to you and your crafting adventures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello color!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011 10:24:17 AM »

I don't remember the seller, but I got some of these domes on eBay a while back, and you know what, TheTinyTiara? - the domes were packaged with the same exact ring blanks that you're using. So, how can one use these domes with these ring blanks in a way that's different from clear magnifying cabochons? I know - by enclosing something that's not flat. I mean, if that isn't what they were designed for, then what is? Ok, well now, how would one use them in a way you wouldn't find objectionable? Omit glitter? ...

aisy, here's a supplier I found for you with a quick google search. Have fun - that's what this website is about Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011 09:30:18 PM »

thanks!!!!that is a very useful website
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Protect Your Comic Books
How to Draw Round Letters
How to Draw Lightening
How to Draw Bees
How to Draw Manga Animals
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...