A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage inspired swimsuit  (Read 3052 times)
Tags for this thread: swim_wear  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cervy
« on: December 29, 2010 04:17:26 AM »

Hello, I'm a looooooooong time lurker, first time poster. I recently bought a serger and I am in love with it! I made these swimmers and it was so easy. Meanwhile my sewing machine won't actually sew Lycra at all.

(I'm wearing silly glasses just because I like them.)

I was inspired by this post by xjoyfulsongx. I have also made a few dresses with the same triangle and gathering detail.

A question for anyone who has made their own swimmers- should I line the swimsuit or is one layer fine?? I'm a bit nervous about actually wearing it in the water. And is there any way to stop the boylegs riding up at the back and exposing my butt?! It's fine in this pic but goes up when I walk. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marieC
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010 05:46:18 AM »

That's hot.

I think that style of leg rides up no matter what you do.  I dunno if you really need lining - it is black so things won't get outlined in the water. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010 06:32:40 AM »

This is sooo lovely! I want one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
sewintoyou123

What are you looking at?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010 08:42:59 AM »

On fabric like that I would line the crotch and the breast area, at minimum the crotch. Light fabric I would line the whole suit. I have been known to go into the shower with my swimsuit fabric to test see throughness.  Smiley
By the way, Love the suit. Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010 09:50:15 AM »

hairspray can aid your modesty, lift the leg hole a little, spray with hairy spray. dont know if it's water proof or even good for the fabric but models and miss world contestants use it Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchyemm
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010 12:52:25 PM »

That's a lovely cossie - well done!  As far as I know, the master of pattern making with lycra is this guy http://www.patternschool.com/  There's so much helpful info on his site - even explaining how elastic behaves and why things ride up, and instructions for drafting a variety of patterns!  Agreed - I'd do a test run in the shower  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cervy
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010 07:55:29 PM »

Haha thanks everyone, yeah I was thinking of doing a test run in the shower. And i'll definitely line the crotch, but i have to buy more fabric first. That link is amazing patchyemm, thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcm
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010 03:10:36 AM »

No real need to line a swimsuit unless it's white or a very light color :-).  And even then, it depends on the fabric thickness.  Let's say that if it's not transparent under a flash you can wear it with confidence.  I consider it an advantage of making my own that I don't end up with tons of bulky layers that dry slowly..

As to the legs, well, the boy cut should ensure that they don't creep up too high, mercifully.  But can I ask an indiscreet question?  You did put elastic into those leg openings, right?  It's good to test first to see how much your elastic stretches when it's sewn.  You can use special swimwear elastic, but I've gotten nearly 10 years of wear out of clear polyurethane elastic, which is very lightweight and easy to put in.  Then I find the trick is to apply the elastic pretty much in a 1:1 ratio on the front of the leg (adjusting perhaps for the elastic stretch), but to take about 10% off the length in the back, stretching the fabric and elastic flat together as you sew.  That allows the thing to scoop around your butt and stay there pretty much no matter what you do.

Really nice design, you did a great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010 02:02:45 PM »

Cute! This turned out really well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
cervy
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010 07:44:44 PM »

Thanks so much mcm. actually i haven't put elastic in the leg openings. I've never made swimmers before so I'm just playing it by ear. but i definitely will now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeover Lover and Minimalist Swap Beauty Routines
A 61-Year-Old Grandmother Wears Makeup for the First Time
“Law and Order’s” Stephanie March Helps Everyone Look Red Carpet Glam
How to Choose the Right Color to Contour Your Makeup
Classic and Glam Eyeliner Tutorial Backstage at Dennis Basso NYFW 2014
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...