A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,925
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with my picky boyfriend  (Read 4607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spooky2012
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011 08:22:40 PM »

Hello,  I have eaten in a vegetarian restaurant.  They serve BBQ using a meatless ingredient.  I forgot what it is called.  It does look and taste like pork BBQ.  I wouldn't know the difference if I didn't know it only serve vegetarian dishes.  A yummy disguise!  Grin

Thank you! Could you let me know if you find out what it is? Because he would LOVE that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011 02:28:59 PM »

Actually, I ate in a Buddhist temple in China (I often did that, their food was always free of animal products) and I had some foods that I would have swore were meat. If you're into simulating meat without actually using any there are certainly products available to help you out. Do you have an Asian grocer? I have a vegetarian Asian grocer nearby which does all sorts of meat simulations. They're not my thing, but they do stock them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011 11:08:15 PM »

I agree with the idea of eggplant parm, especially if you serve it with tonnes of mozzarella and/or as a sandwich with garlic bread.  Oh yeah!  I'm not even a veggie and it's one of my favorite meals.

Other tasty ideas:
Welsh rarebit (like fondu, but with beer.  Total man-pleaser)
lentil soup
potato (or potato-leek) soup
Fritatta
quiche
spanish tortilla
stuffed pasta shells, though this might not work with a pasta sauce instead of a cream one
angel hair pasta with fresh tomato, fresh basil, garlic, and olive oil
rizotto (especially one with spinach and herbs  YUM!)
ratatouille on a bed of rice or quinoa
home made mac and cheese, can't go wrong
Chana masaala and veggie samosas
perogies with fake bacon bits

Have you  managed to make him try tofu?  My fianc and his friend once made vegan bulgogi with tofu that they had frozen to change the texture.  Tofu is lovely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
spooky2012
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011 11:18:55 PM »

Have you  managed to make him try tofu?  My fianc and his friend once made vegan bulgogi with tofu that they had frozen to change the texture.  Tofu is lovely Smiley

He likes tofu, and generally likes the vegetarian stuff/fake meat that I get him to taste. He's open to trying things... most of the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011 10:03:12 PM »

A veggie friend of mine also made amazing gyoza with ground round.  They're super tasty and though they're asian, the flavours aren't too out there, so he may like them.  Same goes for most Korean food.   If he's a fan of most fake meats, that simplifies things!  "Meat"loaf, "meat"ball subs, lasagna...

I feel your pain about pickiness.  My brother is very meat and potatoes too, and when he was diagnosed with hypoglycemia we had to try to expand his diet a little.  Creativity and lots of cheese...  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011 02:28:15 AM »

I know it's been a long time since the last post, but wanted to say I am a carnivore trying to incorporate more meatless meals. We used to have a GREAT vegetarian restaurant in town. They made really cool sandwiches and such using seitan and veggie bacon, etc.

I like tons of Indian cuisine and lots of it is veggie friendly.

I want to try "sloppy lentils" too (sloppy joes using lentils)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
krisjo
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011 01:24:29 PM »

Way late, but I'm curious: what kinds of dishes can you get a meateater to eat tofu in? 

I've got one who claims that he just hates the idea of tofu standing in for meat, but I've convinced him to give it a try.  Ideally something that isn't just a meat dish with tofu as a replacement... I want him to see tofu as a standalone food stuff.  Anything fit that bill?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011 10:31:03 PM »

As a transition you can put tofu in a meat dish so they are seen together as seperate things rather than as a substitute. That might make him more friendly to the idea of tofu. That sure helped me transition my brother to eat tofu. Suitable dishes are Chinese mapo dofu (tofu) and 'scrambles' like you might put in a pie or pastie mix. Also try curried tofu dumplings.

I don't eat meat at all, and I see this as a good way to help others eat less meat by becoming more familiar with tofu.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011 09:17:59 AM »

Marinate some firm tofu in soy sauce, chili sauce, and sesame oil, then bake.  Also, korean tofu soup!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
annigirl22
Kickin Ass since '89

ninja! or something like that...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012 11:48:54 PM »

Way late, but I'm curious: what kinds of dishes can you get a meateater to eat tofu in? 

I've got one who claims that he just hates the idea of tofu standing in for meat, but I've convinced him to give it a try.  Ideally something that isn't just a meat dish with tofu as a replacement... I want him to see tofu as a standalone food stuff.  Anything fit that bill?

I know I'm late too, but here's one!
take pressed tofu and cut it into 1/2 inch slices, dredge it in soy sauce [or tamari], 'flour' each side with nutritional yeast and fry for a couple minutes per side in a small bit of olive oil in a shallow frying pan
this is THE BEST way to eat tofu in my opinion. My uncles gf used to work in a huge LA restaurant that would serve that, [she shared with me. Smiley] and it just tastes fantastic. somewhat like chicken kind of taste. but really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.
-Richard Bach

feel free to stalk me:
http://pinterest.com/annigirl22/
http://wists.com/annigirl22

I <3 personal swaps, PM me! Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Abstraction within an Image
How to Create Depth of Field in a Landscape
How to Create Parallax Distortion
How to Create Quality Light
How to Create Post Processing Lighting Effects
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...