A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knifty Knitted Christmas gifts  (Read 2510 times)
Tags for this thread: knifty_knitter , knitting_loom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heatheres76
« on: December 28, 2010 08:25:16 AM »

I've been playing around with knifty knitter looms for about 6 months now, and I decided to use them to make some Christmas gifts.

First are rainbow mittens:

These were made on the 24 peg blue loom. I did about 6 rows of P1 K1, and the rest is all done with knit stitch. I made them long-- they go about 3/4 of the way to my elbow.

The next is a hat made for a 7 year old girl:

I used the green loom, double knit so that it would be extra warm. I sewed up the top, and added pom poms to the corners. The flowers were made with a flower loom set.

Last but not least, a scarf:

I used 16 pegs of the red loom. The pattern is K2 P2 for 2 rows, and then P2 K2 for 2 rows... repeat until the scarf is long enough or you run out yarn! I added tassels to the end, and a couple flowers made with a flower loom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010 01:10:24 PM »

Oh My! I never knew you could make so many things with a knifty knitter! I thought it was just a hat loom. Maybe I'll get some since regular knitting hates me.
I especially like the gloves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
heatheres76
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010 01:53:22 PM »

Thanks! I can't wrap my brain (or my fingers) around conventional knitting either, so I was really pleased to find the looms. I love making hats, but you can do all sorts of things on the looms, depending on what sizes you have. I made an afghan out of flat panels I knit on the looms, dishcloths, scarves, mitts, a purse. I'm working on a shawl right now, and I'm hoping to work my way up to a whole sweater by next Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lydiaharper
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010 12:17:38 PM »

The hat was done on the green round loom?  How did you bind off and sew the end closed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heatheres76
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010 02:28:26 PM »

The hat was done on the green round loom?  How did you bind off and sew the end closed?

You can bind off on a round loom the same as you would for a single panel. Working backwards from the last loop, take the loop off the loom onto a crochet hook (or the knifty knitter tool if that's all you have). Then remove the second to last loop. You now have 2 loops on the hook. Pull the second loop through the first one. Do that all the way to the first loop. Pull the tail of the working yarn through the loop.

Then I just sewed it together with the same yarn as the hat. I'm a sloppy seamstress, but the stitches blend in pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lydiaharper
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010 05:54:46 PM »

Ooohhhh, ok.  I was thinking it was sewn and bound off at the same time?  Not sure WHY I was thinking that.  LOL  Now to make one for DD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiel
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011 02:50:00 PM »

I love my Knifty Knitter looms.  Hubby got me the round for bd and I obught the rest.  LOVE them.  Trying to needle knit but  I am increasing and decreasing and not know how I am doing it.  However Christmas 2009 I made 23 sets of slipper socks.  This year I made 9 hats for my ladys at work.  Right now I am making a scarf for a co-worker's sister who is jealous of her hat.  Sister wants to pay me for hat and scarf.  Going to it to co-worker/friend to give to her and let sister pay accordingly.  I hate a set price on things and try to avoid making things for sell.  However this person does crafts so I know she will do me right.

You can do alot with the looms.  The long looms I am still trying to figure out.  I learned the braid finish on scarf.  It makes a nice finished edge.  Will post pics when done.  Got about 48 rows to go.

My gloves turned out ugly.  Yours turned out nice.  Mine the thumb is so long and goofy looking.  I did make so kids mittens with the flower loom.  They had no thumbs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
heatheres76
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011 06:47:32 PM »

I love how quickly I can complete things on the knitting looms. You can use the long looms in the same way you use the round ones-- they are a closer knit, so you don't need to use chunky yarn. And with more pegs, you can do larger projects. I just made a shawl with the biggest of the long looms.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...