A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Austin - Where to Stay, Where to Look and Maybe Even Where to Buy!  (Read 2160 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2008 05:47:02 AM »

The hubby and I are hitting are Austin next month.

We want to stay where we can walk to restaurants, shops etc.  Maybe even "stumble across" an lys or two since we have none to speak of in Costa Rica. 

The trip is to enjoy Austin and decide if it is a good place to buy a small house.  We want to find an area that isn't the 'burbs and has places we can walk to (book stores, coffee houses, great food etc.).   We did the 'burbs in Phoenix and if  we ever decide to more 

We considered Portland, Oregon but felt it wasn't a good fit.   Suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated. 

Boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SidecarStella
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008 02:05:26 PM »

Hey there, so I have been living in Austin for the past 8 years and I must say it's an amazing place to be.  In my opinion, you should absolutely stay at the Austin Motel on South Congress.  It's pretty much right in the center of town and within a block or two of several happenin' places.  The club directly across the street, Continental Club, has some pretty rockin' bands almost every day of the week.  Down the street a ways is a bar called Ego's which is also pretty cool.  There are also a couple of good restaurants within rock throwing distance (Guero's and Doc's Motorworks are two of my favorites).  Also downtown 6th street is a 4 dollar cab ride (maybe more now, but it was 4 bucks like a year ago).  Anyhow, if I didn't live here and was travelling through, this would be my pick.  Hope this was of some help!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008 02:05:55 PM by SidecarStella » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tollesaa1881
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008 06:58:59 PM »

I have lived in Austin for about a year and a half and found so many amazing things to do.  You can hang out downtown and do anything from listen to live music, go to a craft store, ride the dillo around, and shop to more. I am originally from Portland Oregon and know that they do not offer as much as austin does.  Even outside of downtown in the "Suburbs" there are so many great things to do that you wouldnt be expierencing Austin without them.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008 06:57:24 AM »

I lived in Austin for 2 years while in college & my brother lives & works there (running his own company) now.

Austin is in the top 10 of Green Cities, it's fantasticly cosmopolitan, super pedestrian and bike friendly, it's very hip & in tune with young culture & trends due mostly to the fact that there are 7+ colleges & universities, not the least of is UT with a student population of 50 thousand (yes fifty thousand students).

The housing martket is never cheap. Even with the current slump, college towns (and Austin qualifies in this regard) have a steady stream of renters so prices rarely drop. Hyde Park and Travis Heights are great in-town neighborhoods biking or walking distance from almost everything, but prices start at $250K for 2 bedroom 1 bath and only 1200 square feet, and no parking...

It's a great place to visit, it's a great place to live & work too, but it's not cheap. OK it's cheaper than LA Smiley Definately cheaper than NYC Smiley

Additional Places to eat/ shop/ play:
-Magnolia Cafe, on S. Congress- open 24 hours, verey broad menu inclusing vegetarian entrees- their gingerbread pancakes & original house salsa & queso are worth the visit
-Kirby Lane (on Kirby Lane, there's a second location on S.Congress, but the original is best)
-If you like an Adult Beverage try a Purple People Eater at Baby Alcapulco, their tacos aren't bad either.
-Seconding Guerro's
- The St. Vincent De Paul Thrift shop on S.Congress is always good.
-Rue's Antiques (S. Congress, notice a trend yet?)
- Lucy in Disguise/ Electric Ladyland (S.C.) for rockin' clothes, to rent or to buy
- Shady Grove, try a Shady Thang if you liked the Purple People Eater
- Hill Country Weavers (just off SC) if you are a yarnie
- dang now I'm forgetting the name of the other yarn & fiber place in Austin- I've seen their ads here on craftster so it shouldn't be hard to find out!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008 07:02:24 AM by Penlowe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lala leti
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008 04:21:41 PM »

Ah.. Born and raised in austin here! Wonderful city and even better during the music festivals. I would stay clear of Guerros. Eeek. Food poisoning twice there. My cousin is a health inspector and told me to stay away from there after he found that I had gotten sick.
La Ferria off Lamar and Kirby Lane off Lamar are both good places.
There is a place called Habana, its off S. Congress and its Caribbean food. Really good food and really good portions.
6th street is a must on weekends too. Great music and makes for great people watching.
Ruta Maya off congress too is a great coffee shop that has awesome bands and various performers.
Zilker Park occasionally has events and other things and is great if you want to just hang out and walk.
(x-mas time @ zilker is also fun)
If you get to know DT austin close to the campus hit up "the drag". Its a strip of road with tons of places to shop, eat,  play arcade games and a series of other things.

If you are looking to buy and have $$$ to spend on a home stay downtown. The average 900 sqf house will run you over $200,000.
Far north austin has fun things and tends to be cheaper than anywhere else I have looked. Rent wise at least.
I stay southwest and its pricey come this direction too.
Even if you live in the "burbs" you are usually in walking distance to cafes and other food establishments.

Good luck and have fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stay gold ponyboy ... gold.
Bananna_AnnA
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010 08:45:46 PM »

I'm going to open up this conversation again since I have a similar question.

I'll be starting graduate school this fall at UT & am wanting to know what a good neighborhood would be for a craftster. I'm considering Hyde Park since it's close to campus and I read somewhere that it's "neighborhoody" which sounds nice. I also think there's a Hancock nearby for emergency thread runs (I mostly sew, but also knit, embroider, make jewelry, etc when the motivation hits).

Am I on the right track? I will be renting, of course. Also, are the buses pretty efficient in Austin? From the way it looks on the map, the city seems pretty walkable (but maps are always small, haha). I'll be visiting in March, so it would be nice to have some suggestions on what areas to look at.

Thanks for any responses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013 07:30:30 PM »

I am bumping this as the hubs and I are thinking of a life change.
We are starting a family next month, and are kind of a weird combo of "crunchy earth muffin cloth diapers" and "NRA life members" which is hard to fit into the Seattle area.
As long as I can get my kale and yarn I am happy  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts winter Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Bean Bag
How to Create a Paper Airplane
How to Create Dangerous Looking Paper Airplanes
How to Make a Classic Dart
How to Create a Buttonhole
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...