A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Travel Shrine (my first craft post!)  (Read 870 times)
Tags for this thread: shrine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

winddragyn
« on: December 27, 2010 05:19:56 PM »

This summer, I hosted a couchsurfer who had a hobby of dumpster diving. On the last day of his visit, he found a torn up, fake-snakeskin covered travel case for makeup. As he had no use for it, he gave it to me. I wanted to turn it into a shrine from the moment I saw it. The mirror, the glass cases for idols or images, the tryptic design, and the portability all made it perfect for a shrine. I wanted to use only materials that I obtained through had love, time, and/or focus. Unfortunately, I don't have any deities or ancestors who I felt were shrine-able. I would love to think of (and to hear your recommendations on) who or what should go in my shrine. I would like to use it, instead of just looking at it.  At the very least, though, if I ever I leave my normal life to become a wandering gypsy, it will give me some new age cred when it is set up at my traveling palm or tarot card booth.

This picture has the most true-to-life colors, even if it is upside-down. This is how it folds up.

I covered the outside with beautiful hand-embroidered fabric from Atlixco, Mexico. My BF's mom gave the cloth to me as a gift, she has had it for 40 years. Ignore the box of Miller Highlife in the background.

Here is the inside of the shrine. Sorry about the glare and the bad colors. This is a camera phone I am using.

Some detail of the shrine's inside. The little prince was the only thing I could think of at the time that was super shrine-able, representing love, adventure, and unwillingness to grow up. But it is  really just a filler picture. A friend and I made the weaving for that shell. The vial could theoretically hold a single flower, but in this picture, it is holding a stick of incense.  All of the beads are made of real stone, and all are stones of some supposed magical or historical significance.

This is one of the side panels. I think it would be perfect for a statuette or a candle, but right now the only things indside of it are a heart which I blacksmithed, and a wire/bead thingy that a friend gave me. I wore that dragon as a necklace pendant for years.

Well, there you have it. I think that the box nature of the shrine would make it very convenient for packing a couple tea candles, a box of incense, a bell, or some coins, or other similarly shrine-y items. I hope you like it.  I just wish I wasn't so naturally skeptical of religion so that I could use it as it was intended.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011 07:49:39 AM »

Great job!
I like all of the little details.
Since you are not into religion, why not make it a collection of items you love, instead of a shrine? A sort of treasury trove display, which you can enjoy at times when you feel a little low.
Happy New Year!
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Makes Althorp Literary Festival So Different?
Dr Kate Williams Talks About Queen Elizabeth II at Althorp Festival
The Age of Miracles Book Trailer
David Maraniss Discusses His Audiobook, Barack Obama
Colm Toibin on His Audiobook, New Ways to Kill Your Mother
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...