A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,296
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sleepy owl for my brother's bub-to-be  (Read 2996 times)
Tags for this thread: owl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlemissmanics
« on: December 27, 2010 10:16:18 AM »

I only started knitting a couple months ago, but when I saw this pattern in a magazine, I knew I had to make it for my brothers bub, which is due to be arriving in march. I can't wait to meet them, and wanted to make something that can keep a watchful eye over the little thing at night  Smiley

Mummy-to-be especially loved it, and it's so nice when people really like the things you've made for them, so her face lighting up completely made my Christmas day when they unwrapped it  Grin

I also made them a mobile based on the Hey Diddle Diddle nursery rhyme, which went down equally well.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=358416.0

C&C welcome  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bennysmom
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010 10:52:57 AM »

The owl is cute. What the heck is a bub?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemissmanics
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010 10:58:46 AM »

The owl is cute. What the heck is a bub?

A baby  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bushbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010 11:43:28 AM »

You did so well, he's lovely!

I saw that pattern too and was thinking about making it for my sister (she has 2owls)-how did you find the pattern? quite easy??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010 12:12:08 PM »

That is so adorable!! I seriously squealed from cuteness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
littlemissmanics
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010 12:44:44 PM »

I saw that pattern too and was thinking about making it for my sister (she has 2owls)-how did you find the pattern? quite easy??

Thankyou!
It was really easy. I've done a couple of other knitting things whilst working on this, but it was the first project I'd started, and I found no problems with it in terms of the stitches, aside from my own lack of knitting of knowledge, which became much better having done this!

Quite a lot of sewing up at the end, but I like sewing so it wasn't a problem for me. Definitely a good project for a beginner too...lots of little bits, nothing really has too many stitches cast on, which was very helpful  Cheesy

It's certainly convinced me to carry on with knitting, and toy making. It was so nice to see all the bits finally come together at the end to make the finished owl. The only thing I changed was that I crocheted the eyes instead of following the knit instructions. It didn't seem to matter how hard, or how many times I tried...everytime I did the knitted eyes I was left with an Owl which looked half 'special' (my owl looked like he'd spread his wings and deprived a village of it's idiot), and half un-dead. Either way, not entirely suitable for a baby, but it was my own uselessness which gave those results I think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennilocker
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010 01:44:07 PM »

This rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

winddragyn
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010 02:59:55 PM »

Adorable!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bushbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010 12:37:23 AM »

Thankyou!
It was really easy. I've done a couple of other knitting things whilst working on this, but it was the first project I'd started, and I found no problems with it in terms of the stitches, aside from my own lack of knitting of knowledge, which became much better having done this!

Quite a lot of sewing up at the end, but I like sewing so it wasn't a problem for me. Definitely a good project for a beginner too...lots of little bits, nothing really has too many stitches cast on, which was very helpful  Cheesy

It's certainly convinced me to carry on with knitting, and toy making. It was so nice to see all the bits finally come together at the end to make the finished owl. The only thing I changed was that I crocheted the eyes instead of following the knit instructions. It didn't seem to matter how hard, or how many times I tried...everytime I did the knitted eyes I was left with an Owl which looked half 'special' (my owl looked like he'd spread his wings and deprived a village of it's idiot), and half un-dead. Either way, not entirely suitable for a baby, but it was my own uselessness which gave those results I think!

I thought you'd changed the eyes. he does look extra sleepy  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011 12:48:48 PM »

Oh wow! I didn't see somebody else had already posted one of these! I did one too: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=368718.0  Did you embroider his little buttons on? I used real buttons because my embroidery skills are negligeble, but yours look very neat and uniform so if they're embroidered, which if its for a baby I'd guess they are, I'm impressed...

Thankyou!

You shouldn't blame yourself on the knitted eyes, by the way: if you take a look at mine you'll see that he came out looking rather 'special' too and I followed the pattern for the eyes, just about. I was in quite a bit rush when doing the face with mine so I didn't have time to correct it but thankfully my mum doesn't mind.
As far as your question goes, Bushbaby, I would say yes, it is quite an easy pattern. The knitting itself is very straightforward, it's the making up that you have to take extra time over. Apart from the eyes one of the big problems I had was stopping his nightie from curling up at the edges although presumably that wouldn't be such a problem if you had time to block it properly. I just pinned it out for a day or so and that wasn't enough on its own so I had to add a crochet edging to keep it flat...

And I agree with everyone else, he's very sweet. No wonder your sister-in-law loves him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drop Dead Beautiful by Jackie Collins
Sally Jenkinson Performs Valentines Day Poem "More Words Than We Deserve"
Raymond Antrobus Performs His Poem "Things That Look Like Love"
Rest in Pieces by Bess Lovejoy
Chemical Garden Trilogy - Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...