A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Superwash wool as warm as regular wool?  (Read 929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2010 10:38:52 PM »

I'm curious to know how warm superwash wool is compared to regular wool. I guess it would be less warm since the fiber has part of the scales removed. I'd like to use superwash wool as ribbing for a sewn jacket as it would have to be washing-compatible with the rest of the garment. It doesn't get very cold here in Georgia, USA, I'm told, but I easily get cold. In the fall some months ago, I saw people wearing t-shirts while I had on a jacket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010 08:02:05 AM »

I've seen the question asked before and many people say it is indeed as warm as regular wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Idle Hands
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010 12:30:14 AM »

Kind of off topic here but I do have a suggestion on keeping warm.  Try looking at the "tech fabric" clothing with the wicking properties.  The wicking keeps the sweat and water off your skin.  Wet = cold.  The workout clothes at Target and some of the sporting goods stores carry the wicking fabrics like CoolMax. 

About two weeks ago I got lazy and didn't do laundry so I wore one of my workout t-shirts instead of my regular cotton t-shirt under a sweater and headed off for holiday shopping.  I ROASTED when I normally would have been comfortable. 

Steer away from cottons as it will hold moisture against your skin.  A loose knit acrylic is a better choice as acrylic doesn't hold moisture and the breathing holes will prevent overheating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010 01:19:15 AM »

Thank you for that tip. I was actually looking to use all natural fabric like a cotton shell with superwash wool ribbing. I'm not sure if I'll use the wicking fabric since it most likely is a synthetic. The only synthetic that I might use is a fleece lining, but I'll looking for natural fiber as an alternative. I'll probably use an interlining as well, probably the 100% cotton Warm and Natural batting. I have time to think about it as I won't have a chance to make anything anytime soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Anchor an Image with Scenic Architecture
How to Remove Color Casts
How to Create Rhythm Within Imagery
How to Create Abstraction within an Image
How to Create Depth of Field in a Landscape
Latest Blog Articles
The Zombie Trend: Now... Sheep!
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...