A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 259
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2011 DeStash-Along-CLOSED  (Read 173314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1370 on: May 09, 2011 12:48:05 PM »

I think the Burda instructions are confusing!  I do not do it that way at all! It is the best zipper for pants as it is super strong and won't fall open to show the teeth...now, some people like showing off the zipper...but if you can't find a zipper to match your fabric, this hides it well!  Not even the tab shows...I should do a mini tutorial on this...it really is a nice look if you are polishing your techniques!

CLM--ugh...I hated tailoring classes...too slow!  I do admire it and use some of the things, but for most things, fast and easy is the way to go!  Clothes change too quickly for me to spend the time...unless it is for a coat or something I will keep for years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
PosiTori
« Reply #1371 on: May 09, 2011 04:44:26 PM »

I just discovered this DeStash-Along thread! And May's theme goes perfect with a destash project I just finished.  What better way to get rid of some baby yarn than to make a baby blanket?  No one I know is currently having a baby. (at least not a girl) But I really wanted to use up that yarn.

I loved the pattern! Even though my blanket came out super small! Its only 20" x 21" >.<  And the pet shop doll is only there for cuteness factor. :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aprettymess

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1372 on: May 09, 2011 04:54:48 PM »

wowie! thanks for the tips. i am a bit confused about the types of zipper insertions though.
i wore the dress today and most people had no idea what was "wrong" till i pointed it out. a few of the ladies are famliar with sewing and it seemed to be that my torso is indeed too short lol.

but all imperfections aside i felt so lovely!!!!!

Baste the whole back seam.  (That is, sew it with a long stitch that will hold it together but be easy to tear out.)  If you have a helper, you can try the item on, pin it exactly how it needs to be, and mark it.  (Then you have to take the pins back out to get it off.)  Iron the seam allowance open.  Place the zipper on the inside, centered on the seam allowance, with the WRONG side of the zipper facing you. (So the zipper teeth should be centered right on the stitching line.)  Now, one at a time, sew the sides of the zipper (with a regular stitch length) to the seam allowance only (not to the main fabric).  I'm not sure why you do this part.  I think it just makes it more secure.  Now turn the garment to the right side and topstitch the zipper on both sides of the teeth.  (If there was more seam than just where the zipper goes, be sure to go back over it with a regular stitch.)  Then carefully tear out your basting stitches.

The zipper won't show, and it's really easy to get it in place.

ill try that with my next dress  Cool

i read this like 10x before i understood it all lol... but now it sounds so easy... and i imagine it will keep all my horizontal seams straight
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #1373 on: May 09, 2011 06:09:22 PM »

i read this like 10x before i understood it all lol... but now it sounds so easy... and i imagine it will keep all my horizontal seams straight

Haha!  I know; it's really hard to describe with words, but it's not so complicated.  Pictures would probably have helped. Smiley

Always, I would love it if you would make a tute for the lapped zipper.  The Burda instructions were a video, for heavens sake, and I still don't understand them! lol  I followed okay about halfway through, and then she lost me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1374 on: May 09, 2011 06:13:57 PM »

posiTori, I love that blanket!  where did the pattern come from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1375 on: May 09, 2011 06:38:33 PM »

wowie! thanks for the tips. i am a bit confused about the types of zipper insertions though.
i wore the dress today and most people had no idea what was "wrong" till i pointed it out. a few of the ladies are famliar with sewing and it seemed to be that my torso is indeed too short lol.

but all imperfections aside i felt so lovely!!!!!

You should feel lovely, the dress was very cute on you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aprettymess

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1376 on: May 09, 2011 07:50:00 PM »

thanks tons rlb  Kiss

positori your blanket is cute! and welcome to the destashalong  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skittlebub

« Reply #1377 on: May 09, 2011 09:56:33 PM »

I loved the pattern! Even though my blanket came out super small! Its only 20" x 21" >.<  And the pet shop doll is only there for cuteness factor. :3

I made a couple of baby blankets about that size to use in the car seat & pram. Then when they are outgrown they are used as doll blankets
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #1378 on: May 10, 2011 04:12:39 AM »

aprettyness--you have come a long way with your sewing and I love that you have such fun imagination and are just so adorable! I think the biggest tip I can give you as a long time seamstress is: never point out your mistakes! Cheesy

ha ha we are hardest on ourselves...most people would NEVER even notice, so have fun and keep on sewing!

What a lovely blanket, positori!  I love the stitch...it is nice to have a few baby items around because someone somewhere will have a baby!  You will be prepared!  Welcome to the destash...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1379 on: May 10, 2011 05:24:17 AM »

I'm gone and busy for a couple of days and check out this thread... Shocked *WoWsErS*  so many things to compliment and
Thanks ScrappySue...I will be cutting up scraps for making a quilt like yours w/half triangles...just not sure how soon...*aarrgh* 
I will have to check out the pincushion sites that were given...thank you so very much for those...I have lids of all kinds and a few that were given here are ones I've not thought about! =]

aprettymess...GreaT DreSS!!!!  I can't believe it didn't come from a pattern!  You're quite giften in the sewing-of-clothes department.  I had Home Ec, too...but nothing as involved as all of the ones mentioned here...=]  And I don't think the instructor thought I showed much promise.  I wish that I'd been a part of 4H, it seems they had lots of good things they taught...at one time.  It is how my DH's Gram learned to sew back in the day...=]

If I can get through todays business...I'll be home-free to sew and cut and crochet and craft.... Cheesy

Welcome Positori...great little blanket...cute LPS kitty...=]  I like making just doll blankets...they get lots of love! =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 259 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Perfect Curly Cut
Upgrade to a Rose Bun For Your Holiday Parties!
The Monday Makeover - Creating Beach Hair Style
How to Do a Simple Back to School Hairstyle
The Monday Makeover - Disco Heat
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...