A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 259
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2011 DeStash-Along-CLOSED  (Read 184880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2011 08:01:30 AM »

LaughingLark---thanks--I will test the yarn--I want to do some handweaving this year...I find it very tranquil and the results are always surprising...have you ever done burlap weaving?

Basically, you start with a piece of burlap...you remove either horizontal or vertical pieces and weave in other materials or weave the burlap itself into different designs..I will take a pic of a piece I did in a class in the 70's...I would definitely do it again with what I have learned here over the last year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missiejean
Just another crafter in this crazy world.

...don't dream it, be it.

« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2011 08:32:06 AM »

I would love to join this "Destash-Along" but I don't have much in the way of materials. I only have fabrics thus far. I want to get into knitting, since my mother is a knitting machine and has as much yarn as a yarn store(no joke... Smiley)
I will try and make some things along the way!!

I would love to learn to make wallets and purses from the fun materials I do have...

Maybe even some new dog toys for my puppy as she likes to squeeze the squeaker out somehow then rip all the stuffing out (sigh)

Maybe a few little clutches or coin purses or make-up bags!

Oh the possibilities as I keep thinking.

Good luck everyone  Grin Can't wait to see some of the projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...I love my husband, he gets out of my way, and lets me craft.

*INTERESTED IN PERSONAL SWAPS!!*
superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: January 07, 2011 09:45:58 AM »

I started sewing some drawstring project bags last night!  These take me a while, because I sew by hand....but still only about 2.5 hours each.  I use these all the time, and they are great for swaps too, so I just picked out a bunch of small fabrics from the stash.

I also found a couple of old WIPS while I was cleaning the other day.  Hopefully I'll have the willpower to finish them up soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2011 09:57:22 AM »

how do you get them to be sturdy enough Hand sewing?  Anything I hand sew falls apart because it frays.  And the seams are always so weak, they just look bad.  I'm impressed with anyone who can hand sew and have it last and be sturdy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spiffyhink
« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2011 10:14:09 AM »

how do you get them to be sturdy enough Hand sewing?  Anything I hand sew falls apart because it frays.  And the seams are always so weak, they just look bad.  I'm impressed with anyone who can hand sew and have it last and be sturdy.

I've never actually had anything I sewed by hand come apart in the 10+ years I've been doing it, but I think that may have something to do with the fact that I was never taught it's not normal to sew everything with a doubled thread! Gives it a lot of extra strength, I think.

I'd really love to join in on this craftalong, since my New Year's resolution this year was to destash as much as possible, but all I have is my phone camera, and I don't know how I'd post pics  Sad  I've already decorated some mini Michael's hutches that I had lying around and made a bunch of Rapunzel scarves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2011 10:30:22 AM »

I also always sew with a doubled thread...and if the seams are inside (non-visible) I backstitch them, to make them extra strong.  I have hand sewn thousands of things...bags, pillows, clothes...nothing has ever broken.
I think mostly it is an excersize in patience....you have to keep your stitches really small.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #256 on: January 07, 2011 10:39:23 AM »

If I'm hand sewing something really small, and the material keeps wanting to unravel, I run some kind of stabilizer fluid (glue, or fray check of some sort or another) along the edge of the fabric, let it dry a bit, then sew.  The key is to use just a tiny bit.  When I have used glue before, I put it on with a toothpick
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a brake from craftsters. 
I will finish the swaps I'm in...promise Grin
gaudiknight
« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2011 11:46:18 AM »

I'd really love to join in on this craftalong, since my New Year's resolution this year was to destash as much as possible, but all I have is my phone camera, and I don't know how I'd post pics  Sad

We all need cheerleaders whether we can post pictures or not.  Join us!  I can't promise cookies, but we always greet the announcement of "I used up _________" with enthusiasm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2011 11:53:51 AM »

Thanks for the tips on handsewing ladies!  double thread, tiny stitches, and fray check. Cheesy  i'm ready to try again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: January 07, 2011 02:15:04 PM »

I really wish I had some before pictures of how our house used to look before we got a storage unit and I started getting ready for the baby. A lot has gone into storage and to Goodwill, and everything in the house is organized now. The storage unit has some containers of upcycled fabric that I use to make dog toys and what not (like raggedy blue jeans), one of my fabric storage drawers, and our attic houses my yarn and some other fabric I have yet to go through. I got rid of so much though! What's crazy is trying to only work from my stash and finding that I used to make such random fabric/yarn purchases that I never seem to have what I want to use for any specific project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 259 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Heather Morris Cover Shoot for Seventeen Magazine
Karolina Kurkova in a Push-Up Bra
Salma Hayek Serves Up Six Sizzling Looks in 24 Hours
Viktor & Rolf Design Modern Bridal Collection
Baseball Fan Fashion: All-Star Style For the MLB or Little-League
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...