A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 259
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2011 DeStash-Along-CLOSED  (Read 167343 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #300 on: January 10, 2011 10:57:16 AM »

LaughingLark...awes ome inspiration for reclaiming and dying w/kool-aid!! =]  Very pretty color!  I'm going to try this...don't know when, but I'll try it!  First have to find my first sweater to unravel... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #301 on: January 10, 2011 11:06:01 AM »

Wow those ornaments are all so pretty! Too bad you have to wait another year before you can hang them on the tree.

kittymom, That flower was basically just practice. Until I get the petals down right, I'm not using them for anything. I did buy some hair things to put them on though for when they turn out right. Rexlace is also called Gimp. A lot of kids make lanyards with them at camps and such but I was looking for other things to do with it and found the tutorial using ribbon instead. The only luck I've had with looking for ideas is for making cyberlox (dreadlocks with the rexlace and other plastic stuff in them) and I'm not really interested in those.
I played around with crocheting gimp before with mixed results.  Becasue it is flat, it behaives oddly.  It is very hard to get it to flay flat like "soft" crochet. It ends up looking like...coral? or realy lumpy tenticals?  I did get some round gimp and my dog has a collar that is 5-finger loop braided, and it behaves much more like normal yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: January 10, 2011 11:06:41 AM »

AiMR, I dissolved kool-aid in water, wash your wool in a little bit of warm water, let it get really wet and then place the wool in a microwavable dish with the dissolved k-a in the bottom and then cover with more water. Make sure the yarn will fit in your dish completely.

Cook it for about 10 minutes, check to see if there is any k-a left. Keep doing this until your water turns clear.

I followed this tutorial from Knitty along with a couple of other tutorials. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html

Are you a member of Ravelry? There is an entire group dedicated to nothing but dying with k-a.

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/what-a-kool-way-to-dye
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: January 10, 2011 11:36:54 AM »

I dye with koolaide on my stove top.  I soak the yarn or fiber for at least an hour in the sink (warm-hot water), then get a big soup pot, fill about half way with water and bring to almost a boil.  Then I sprinkle a bunch of koolaide in the pot, stir it a little, and then drop the wool in the pot.  Simmer it until the water turns clear.  The wool will drink up all the color.

Before dyeing you want to make SURE to totally soak your fiber, though.  If you want a smooth, even color, the wool needs to be evenly wet.  If there are dry spots in the middle of your skein, they won't dye the same as the wet spots.

You should definitely skein up your yarn before dyeing.  I use my niddy noddy to skein my yarn, but any way you prefer is fine...just don't leave it in a ball, or center pull skein...the dye won't get to the inside fibers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: January 10, 2011 11:55:44 AM »

I love the shape of the boxes, where did you find those?

I made these boxes by taping bits of cardboard together with masking tape.

Beckashell, KittyMom13,  Ffrogg526, graced.

I will do a tutorial soon but I will need to wait until I have another tissue or cereal box that I can use.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
LaughingLark
« Reply #305 on: January 10, 2011 12:04:07 PM »

Before dyeing you want to make SURE to totally soak your fiber, though.  If you want a smooth, even color, the wool needs to be evenly wet.  If there are dry spots in the middle of your skein, they won't dye the same as the wet spots.

This is very important. On my blue-purple yarn, I deliberately didn't wet my yarn enough, because I was going for a mottled effect. The dry stuff does not take up as much dye.

I only use the stove top method. May try the microwave method this winter, though. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #306 on: January 10, 2011 12:17:14 PM »

thanks for all of the tips and for the links!! I had no idea how great the colors turn out with kool aid!

I think I will test a small batch with various colors to see which one best covers the ugly light brown...I bet there will be some nice surprises!  Can't wait to get off work to go buy kool aid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #307 on: January 10, 2011 04:14:55 PM »

Here is what I made recently out of my stash--total skeins used, 6 !

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=366592.msg4345531#msg4345531

also, from cotton yarn scraps, I made scrubbies!  These are fun and easy--thanks for the suggestion and links!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #308 on: January 10, 2011 05:21:46 PM »

I'm in. I don't have a craft room, and my bedroom is a mess, so i can't really give a list of what i have.
A few things i really need to clear out (if for no other reason than to make room for yarn):
_magazine clippings -- i don't know how i have SO much, but i just can't help but feel like i'll really get good at journaling someday
_snuggle flannel
_zippers -- which really go with the flannel
_felt -- just got a huge bag of polyfil to help with this
_random t-shirts ready to be cut up reconned

I've taken up knitting recently, and it's pretty much taken over. I don't have a job right now, so any money i am taking in is from knitting commissions... which is really making it hard to get back into sewing.

A rough list of projects to help with the destash:
_zippered pouches
_felt monsters
_t-shirt scarves
_t-shirt bags
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
LaughingLark
« Reply #309 on: January 10, 2011 05:53:23 PM »

Alwaysinmyroom--any food coloring will work--just add a glug of white vinegar to your dye pot before putting in the yarn. The acid is necessary for the dyeing. Kool aid has citric acid. Regular food coloring needs something acidic added to it.

Right after Easter, I like to buy up all the leftover egg dyeing kits I can find on sale. That's one way to get bright colors. 

Rit Dyes are not a favorite of mine, and they can leave poisonous residue in your pots, no matter how well you scrub them afterwards. I don't recommend using RIT for dying yarn. There are so many colors you can achieve safely (and for less money) by sticking to food colors. You don't have to have separate pots for the dyeing, either.  Smiley

I'm going to buy a big set of these colors soon, for my yarns:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-601-5580-2-Ounce-Certified-Kosher-Colors/dp/B0000CFN0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294710636&sr=8-1

Those scrubbies came out great! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 259 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Abstract Flowers With Acrylic
Texturing and Blending With Acrylic Paint
Acrylic Brush Strokes Techniques
How to Tag Like a Real Graffiti Artist
An Artists Transforms a Washington Church Into a Striking Landmark
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...