A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Shakespearean Rhapsody; Geaux 2010  (Read 10032 times)
Tags for this thread: dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Geaux
« on: December 24, 2010 07:45:33 PM »

It's been a while since I've posted, and boy do I have lots to show you.

I'll start off by showing you an editorial I shot and put together featuring my Fall Collection, inspired by the works of Sir William Shakespeare.

Shakespearean Rhapsody
an editorial by Alex David Palmer
featuring the Geaux fall 2010 collection.

Romeo & Juliet

on Romeo
striped sweater
felted wool vest
leather obi belt
wrap pants

on Juliet
striped babydoll dress
tulle underskirt
leather tie belt

King Lear

(right to left)
on Lear
wrap pants
twill vest
twill cape

on Cordelia
(under)sheer tank dress
(over) draped one shoulder jersey mini dress
leather harness belt

on Goneril
universal tank
bandeau top
silk shorts
sheer overskirt

on Regan
sheer universal tank
microsuedo bustier top
draped skirt

A Midsummer Nights Dream

on Titania
green hooded draped racerback dress
leather obi belt
leather and feather crown headband

on Puck
universal tank
leather and feather epaulette
wrap shorts

Macbeth

on Macbeth
red/burgundy two-toned cape
universal tank
wrap pants
leather obi belt

on Lady Macbeth
red one sleeved crushed velvet gown
leather obi belt

The Tempest

(left to right)
On Caliban
faux-fur vest
deconstructed crochet vest
brown and olive striped hooded sweater
wrap pants

on Ariel
wrap shorts
sheer square top
sheer colorblocked tank

on Miranda
green brocade kimono (under)
antique gold fringed corset
green overskirt with pickups

Hamlet

on Ophelia
netting overdress
universal tank in white
mesh long sleeved tee (under)

Othello

on Othello
faux fur cape
universal tank
obi belt
wrap pants

on Desdemona
shibori print mesh coverup
(under) sequined body suit

photo: ADP
Models: Juliet Galleon, Alex Royal, Jordan Royal, JuCoby Johnson, Hunter Faustino, Rika Mady, Natalie Frazier, Joe Heyang, Hunter Prescott
Hair & Makeup: ADP
Warddrobe: Geaux Design
P.A.: Taylor Alley, Neil Palmer, Angel Emmanuel Ramirez.

You can see hi-quality versions at alexdavidpalmer.tum blr.com

This shoot took several months of planning, sketching, and scheduling. At the end of the day, I found that I was more than impressed with my hair, makeup, photography, and fashion skills. whoo! *pats self on back*

I wanted to go into a little detail about the pieces

Romeo and Juliet

For Romeo, I used the striped long sleeved sweater I showed in my last post. The vest was this awesome felted wool I came across. I wanted a really free flowing drape, so I cut the piece as I saw fit on the dress form (which in this instance was me!). The pants that all of the boys are wearing are traditional Thai Fisherman's wrap pants.

Juliet's dress is made from the same waffle knit sweater fabric. The tulle underskirt is a pretty straightforward skirt with a large (and when i say large i mean about 8 or 9 yards worth) ruffle. I was really happy with the way their looks turned out. She gave me a real helana bonham carter vibe on set.

The belts used on set were made from a recycled leather jacket. I sort of played with shape and a little pleating when putting them together.

King Lear

The day I made all of the king lear costumes, I felt like I was running a one man sweatshop. Boom, boom, pow, I knocked it out. I still have about 7 yards of sheer fabric leftover.

Lear's outfit is pretty straight forward. I made a vest from an old pair of pants. It's underneath the cape, so I'll save that post for another day. The cape over it is also recycled from a pair of pants. The crown was made from a manila folder and spray painted. I'm a crafty little critter.

The girls outfits were my attempt at a mini collection within a collection. I made Cordelia's costume first, using it as a base for the other two. I gave Cordelia a dress, choosing for the other girls to have separates. Goneril wears an opaque top with a sheer skirt and Regan wears a sheer top with an opaque skirt. See what I did there?

The under-dress is made out of this interesting mesh back mesh fabric. It's got a thin, spaghetti strap on one side and a thicker sleeve on the other. the minidress over is made from this AWESOME rayon jersey I got a hold of. The leather harness belt was also made out of a recycled leather jacket.

You'll hear me reference what I like to call the universal tank a lot. Here it is in motion in the Goneril costume. I call it the universal tank because it can be worn many ways, the traditional way being like so;

I'll have to make a post that features the many ways better. Underneath the tank is a bandeau top. She always wears sheer skirt with a pair of black silk shorts underneath.

Regan is wearing a sheer variation of the universal tank. Underneath she wears a bustier top in this awesome microsuede I got on remnant. The skirt is a modification on the tradition circle skirt, keeping it in points on some sides and leaving it longer on others.

A Midsummer Nights Dream

Titania, possibly one of my favorite ladies of shakespeare, needed to have an amazing costume. The crown was made from a recycled leather belt as the base with feathers as the points. I attached some bias tape to tie it in the back. Good times were had.

The dress itself was made from a HUGE silk full pleated maxi skirt. There had to be about three or four yards in there. I liberated it into this dress.

you can wear it without the hood as a cowl instead, but when given the option of the hood, i always wear a hood. haha.

the back connects into this beautiful draped racerback. Makes my heart sing.

Puck is wearing the universal tank and a cropped variation of the wrap pants. I gave him a cute little feather headband just for kicks. The epaulette is made from scrap leather and feathers using an old dog leash chain.

Macbeth

I was really happy with the way this dress turned out. Originally I wanted it to look similar to a dress I sold on etsy before I shoot it in the editorial, but things went a little different and i'm INCREDIBLY pleased. There is some awesome draping in the back, but that will be for another day. When I had realized the dress was too short, I brainstormed for a bit and created the flounce you see on the bottom (in the picture at the beginning).

The cape for Lord Macbeth was made just for the shoot. I bias-bound some leftover fabric I had in my stash, deciding to keep the interesting way it had been cut.

Both crowns were made with manila folders and spray painted. Lady Macbeth's is attached to a headband.

The Tempest

Caliban's look is actually conceived of almost 75% of my halloween costume from two years ago (i was a viking.) He is wearing a hoodie I made from a really nice sweater knit and a fully lined vest made from faux fur.

Ariel's look is one that I've actually shot before, only with a few modifications

Miranda's combines several projects. The kimono is actually a robe I made my boyfriend for christmas. It will be getting it's own post really really soon. The corset is featured a few posts back and the skirt is something special indeed. It's made from a recycled curtain and embroidered with several bottlecaps. More on this later.

Hamlet

Ophelia's dress is something I don't think will ever be recreated in the same way. It's a culmination of several pieces from my first ever craftster post, only styled in a unique way for the shoot. The pieces are a culmination of recycled and bolt fabrics, most notably part of it being made from an upcycled mosquito net.

Originally, I had intended on including a male model to play Hamlet, but decided capturing Ophelia in solace would be more effective in portraying her madness (im a huge Shakespeare nerd, if you haven't noticed by now). If I had included Hamlet, he would have looked something like this

Othello

Othello's only variation to the other outfits comes in his fur cape. Same deal as the fur vest, originally made as a halloween costume. It is attached by an antique kilt (giant safety) pin.

Desdemona's dress is designed as a coverup. It contains a side zipper reinforced by boning, which also goes over the shoulder. It was interesting to see how such a lightweight fabric still draped after using boning and metal reinforcement.

Underneath there is a sparky sequined leotard which i made from some really stretchy lycra. The straps on it and the cover-up are double faced satin ribbon

(worn in variation)

Alright folks, I believe that is all I have. Thank you so much for sticking with me thus far. This whole project meant a lot to me and I'm glad I could fully execute it to my expectations, including the photography, the clothes, the hair, the makeup, the props, the models, and my wonderful crew of helpers. It's my baby.

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed it!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010 08:27:29 PM by Geaux » THIS ROCKS   Logged

geaux.etsy.com

alexdavidpalmer.tum blr.com
kaleidoscope_eyes
dimestore diamond -shines just like the real thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010 08:05:25 PM »

Bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charmingflaws
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010 08:13:09 PM »

Wow, everything is so beautiful. I especially love Ophelia's outfit and the black sequin leotard. I love the photography too, I can't wait to show this to my photo major roommate. Thanks for sharing! I hit This Rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafts, inspiration and small business adventures: halfcraftstudio.wor dpress.com
kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010 10:15:29 PM »

this.is.absolutely. AMAZING!!!!
hitting this rocks for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010 07:46:21 AM »

Wow this is awesome stuff! I love Ophelia's dress, I love 'em all! genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010 08:04:05 AM »

No amount of words will give the creators of all this compiled work, the exact expressions in which they deserve. So, with that said............... ......

These areabsolutely the most incredibly brilliant costumes in execution and wickedly delivered to us for eye candy amusement, and for that I thank you greatly, and give you the  Kiss(Left Cheek) and  Kiss (R Cheek) of endearment
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010 10:56:44 AM »

Whoa...everything here is absolutely stunning! However, Lady Macbeth's dress left me speechless. So, so beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010 11:29:24 AM »

All I can say is hol crap! This is very awesome. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010 12:24:39 PM »

AWESOME!  Titania and Lady MacBeth make me SWOON!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geaux
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010 11:32:46 PM »

No amount of words will give the creators of all this compiled work, the exact expressions in which they deserve. So, with that said............... ......

These areabsolutely the most incredibly brilliant costumes in execution and wickedly delivered to us for eye candy amusement, and for that I thank you greatly, and give you the  Kiss(Left Cheek) and  Kiss (R Cheek) of endearment

what an amazing reply. thank you so much! i really appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geaux.etsy.com

alexdavidpalmer.tum blr.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Cranberry Ginger Jelly Recipe
How to Make a Pumpkin Cream Pie
Thanksgiving Day Pie Tips
Baking The Perfect Pie
Tell Me Why: Pies!
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...