A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When did you learn to crochet?  (Read 21873 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vrinda
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2006 02:45:49 AM »

My mom tried to teach me when I was about 8, but she got frustrated thinking she had to teach my lefthanded (I'm a lefty but I do everything righthanded....alth ough, I *can* crochet lefthanded if I need to, but I don't have the tension control I do when crocheting RH'd.) 
~Jessica~

I had the same problem! My mum is a lefty and I'm not. She used to always be weaving or crocheting some project or other and I wanted to learn too. I was about 7 I think when she first started teaching me and it was tough going, our lessons would be very short coz one of us would get too frustrated and storm off Roll Eyes Thinking back I can't work out how I learned, I must have been determined, I learned enough to make my own bag pattern when I was 7 or 8 and crochet the whole thing together...but then I kinda stopped.....I'd pick up a hook every now and then but never did much with it.

Then last year I had a friend staying with me and she was complaining that she wanted to learn to knit, I said I couldn't knit but I could teach her to crochet and she jumped at the chance. When we went to buy her a couple balls of yarn to practice on I found some I loved and bought it to make a scarf....2 days of nonstop crochet later (seriously....we didn't stop except to grab something to eat in between stitches) I had a gorgeous scarf that was beyond anything I'd ever made before and she had a lovely little bag. I fell in love with crochet all over again....but then after a couple more scarves and things I kinda slowed and then stopped again.....until a week ago, when I suddenly got a feel for proper use of increasing and decreasing stitches and I made a cool new hat and I'm in the process of making gloves and I have half a dozen other projects jumping up and down in my head, trying to get my attention.......I'm officially a crochet addict now, I think this is more permenant this time  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cocoa Kitten
« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2006 04:28:00 AM »

Stuck in the hospital with nothing better to do, my parents finally caved to my whinning and bought me The Happy Hooker... My Nana tried to help explain the basics, but she really only confused me more!  Thankfully, The Happy Hooker is probably the best source for crochet instructions out there, so I finally got the hang of it with relatively little difficulty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diosaperdida
« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2006 09:28:02 PM »

I guess it must have been about about 18 years ago. I had fought my Mom tooth and nail about learning. Mainly because she was confusing meand herself due to she being right handed and I being left handed. When I was about 20 and really watching pennies, I realized how cool it was to make my own clothes and household things. So I got a diagrammeant for right handers to learn to crochet, and reversed everything shown in the pics.
 I am relying on Mom to teach my right handed daughter to crochet...and I have been trying to get her to learn to knit so she can teach her that too.
Thank goodness my other daughter is a lefty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
ScrapbookFaery
« Reply #223 on: June 04, 2006 09:51:50 PM »

My mom tried to teach me when I was around 7 but she's a lefty and I'm a righty much like several other posts on this thread.  Then my Aunt Joyce who had more patience with me sat me down on the couch in my Mammaw's living room and showed me how to crochet a granny square.  Then my mom taught me to cross stitch so I quickly forgot how to crochet.  During the summers in between school I stayed with my grandparents during the day while my parents were at work.  My grandaddy is a veteran so at least twice during the summer I had to go with my grandparents to the VA for his dr. appt's.  If anyone has ever gone to the VA then you know you get there REALLY early in the morning b/c that's when the 1st appt is scheduled and then they schedule your other appt for 2 or 3pm; so you're there all day so my mammaw always took crochet with her and made sure I had books or coloring or crochet.  That's my fondest memory of her probably.  The waiting room then was huge and open and had these old wooden benches that I always thought were probably salvaged from an old train depot.  They were more roomy than old church benches and kinda curvy instead of just angles.  Anyway...that's where I remember really learning how to crochet.  She started me on this ugly multi-color thread that was teal, mauve, and ivory.  Two years ago she was cleaning out some cabinets and sent me a bag of old crochet thread.  In that bag was this large granny square and it was the one that I crocheted sitting in that big ol' VA waiting room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: June 10, 2006 09:22:12 PM »

Wow, 20 pages and tons of stories later! Incredible. You all have so many unique descriptions of how you began crocheting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miranda_panda
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2006 04:27:08 PM »

I learned a few years ago from a lady who didn't speak english hahaha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2006 06:50:39 PM »

I learned a few years ago from a lady who didn't speak english hahaha
That sounds like a friend of mine.  She learned from a Spanish-speaker although she only spoke English.  She jokes that the ripping out motion is a universal language.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2006 07:00:52 PM »

Such great stories!  I learned when I was 12 - a looonnngg time ago.LOL  My aunt was crocheting a huge afghan and offered to teach me.  In 5 minutes I had chain stitched a huge chain and was ready for more.  Over the years I've put it away and picked it up again, but I've never quit completely.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nee7599
« Reply #228 on: June 25, 2006 10:48:30 AM »

I was a teenager. (I'm not saying how long ago  Tongue) My best friend tried to teach me but she is left handed and I am right handed. Needless to say it was the oddest thing I ever started to make. I went to my grandmothers house and was working on my project and she asked me what the heck that was. She promptly showed me the frog stitch and showed me the right way. I became better at it over the years thanks to all the books and internet patterns. But I always remember my first project fondly  Roll Eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melesse
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2006 04:44:51 PM »

I'm learning right now! Well, not *right* now...

I've been buying crochet thread balls over the past couple months for basic chain stitch beaded necklaces and more recently book binding. A few weeks ago my Mom was over at my apartment and saw the balls of cotton and said "You're just like your Oma!", I protested that I had no clue or interest in crochet and left it at that.

Then I signed up for the sew/knit/crochet swap and got paired with a crocheter. I went digging for various crochet shawl patterns that I'd want, but she wanted to do the sweet pea shawl, (which is so cute) so I figured I'd find a way to get the shawls I wanted somehow at a later date.

Now the desire for some of these very lovely shawls (ch flower shawl and Flamenco Wrap) and my love for my Oma mixed themselves up in my head until I decided to take out some crochet books from the library. Just to look, yep, yep. Then I bought a skein of cotton yarn and a hook and said to myself "use the skein and if you enjoy it, then you can buy more, if you don't enjoy it you'll know and you can use the hook to dig things out of the drain."

Now I have a dishcloth, soft coaster (that was that skein), panta, started on a baby blanket for my niece, halfway though making the flower shawl, the happy hooker, uh, lots of hooks, and far far too much yarn. Oh, my Oma? She passed away when I was 18 and she was a *hard core* crocheter. She made lace tablecloths for all her children and had started on one for each of her grandchildren by the time she died. She rocked my world and it's the greatest honour to be even a little bit like her. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell stuff too! SkyWorks ~ It's all about the wistlists, babeee!

I do personal swaps... PM me.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fimo Beads
How to String Beads
How to Make a Shamballa Bracelet
How to Make Bridal Necklaces
How to Make a Feather Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...