A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,383
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When did you learn to crochet?  (Read 21863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

northernpagan
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2005 03:58:43 AM »

Hmmm, I wonder if crocheting in the bath would work...
[/quote]

That's one thing that's always irritated me- I just can't combine a long soak in the bath with working on one of my many crochet projects
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamsunny
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2005 09:26:52 AM »

i was probably about 4 when i learnt how to crochet. my mom used to sit with me and my brother and crochet us winter stuff. she would have me hand make the beginging chain then eventually taught me how to single crochet. it wasnt untill a couple years ago that i got real into it and started making christmas gifts, blankets, scarfs, hats mittens, and now im making care bears.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2005 08:16:42 PM »

i decided on my own that i wanted to learn. i didn't know anyone who did it, but my mom had an old needlecraft book.that was before knitting and crochet was all the rage. i furtively went into a yarn store and asked what i needed to get started. then i just started making hats- taught a few friends too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
Redjln
Usually has paint on her hands

Go Down in Flames, only to rise from the ashes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2005 05:51:49 PM »

At work, last year.  My co-worker made a pretty scarf out of fun fur and offered to teach me.  So I did a long fuzzy narrow scarf, then made another scarf out of yarn from a kit.  Then I stopped for a while, but we (a group at my office) decided that we wanted to do squares for "Warm Up America" and a bunch of us are learn/re-learn, or are just plain old inspired to crochet.

However,  my grandmother might have taught me to crochet when I was child and I don't remember it.  She was amazing at it, and I still have stuff from her around here.  When my co-worker was trying to teach me, it was more like re-learning something I already knew rather than a new skill.

Any now I got 3 squares done for "Warm Up America" and started a shawl following an easy pattern I found on here.  I also have an idea to do a afghan for my house too. So I guess you can say I am starting to get hooked...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop: http://JDx2.etsy.com

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. - Albert Schweitzer
Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2005 06:31:55 PM »

Howdy craftsters!!

I learned to crochet when i was 7, I spent my wicked youth hanging around the library and found a book that taught crocheting, knitting and tatting. That was almost 30 (OMG!  Shocked *whimper* ) years ago and I'm still doing all three and have added embroidery, bead embroidery, bead looming, bead stringing, sewing, hairpin lace, polymer clay and just general crafting to my repertoire since. But that one book gave me hours and days and years of pleasure, long after the book was returned...I wonder how many other people it has taught since then....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
iamsunny
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2005 09:05:36 AM »

wow i wish i could do all of those. ive been crocheting and sewing for like 15 years now. i learnt when i was about 5. when i was little i did embroidery and cross stitch. and last march i learnt how to knit
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beans
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2005 10:50:53 PM »

I started about 2 years ago when I broke my leg. We lived in a third floor apartment with no elevator, right across the street from a Michaels, so it was crafts and soaps for me for 2 months. Now I'm living up in Northern Canada, so I'll definitely be spending a lot of my dark days with a crochet hook and some yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stephjack
Crochet Freak

crocheting the day away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2005 10:02:56 PM »

I taught myself about a year and half ago, not sure why really, i think i just needed a new hobby being a sahm, lol.
i read some books from the library and bought one of the learn to kits that had some hooks and a learn to book. 
Since then I have made numerous babies items, blankies, and my current WIP is a sweater for my husband, which he can not wait to wear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a day without yarn is a day wasted away
pawnshoppromises
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2005 10:11:15 AM »

i was probably about 4 when i learnt how to crochet. my mom used to sit with me and my brother and crochet us winter stuff. she would have me hand make the beginging chain then eventually taught me how to single crochet. it wasnt untill a couple years ago that i got real into it and started making christmas gifts, blankets, scarfs, hats mittens, and now im making care bears.

Are you using the pattern book from Wal-Mart to make to Care Bears? I ask because I just bought it, but I'm a beginner and the Bears seem kind of advanced. What level would you consider them to be on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 Personal Swaps and can crochet pretty much anything! PM me!

My Etsy
My Ravelry
My Wist
Jessies_Girl

save a horse, ride a cowboy!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2005 06:46:57 PM »

last week...in school...and im totally addicted now! i feel like such a loser crocheting on my saturday nite Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Nicole <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Lampanelli Talks About Her Audiobook Chocolate, Please
Life with Author Annie Leonard
Meet Spiritual Guru Michael Beckwith
NFL Coach Brian Billick On More Than a Game
Author Geneen Roth Discusses Her New Book Women, Food, and God
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...