A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When did you learn to crochet?  (Read 22760 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2005 07:35:50 AM »

Back in the days when girls/women were required to a hat or some head cover in the Catholic church.  This was pre-Pope John XXIII.  Momma taught me to crochet little doily things to wear as chapel caps.  I was about 8 or 9.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy4root
I'm a guy who knits and loves trance music :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2005 01:12:10 AM »

My mother taught me how to crochet when I was around 11 or 12... possibly longer.... I'm 34 now so I've been crocheting for quite a long time.  I taught myself how to knit when I was around 14 years old. 

Come check out my blog for my latest project:  http://david34.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my website...

http://www.sleepyroot.com
lovelyscrubs
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2005 07:52:35 AM »

i learned when i was 16 my sister was pregnant and was making a baby a blanket and i head her teach me i now have 4 kids of my own and i made each one of them one i havent done it in about a year i guess i need to start back
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenny777

I painted my sisters preg. belly!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2005 08:15:47 AM »

I was six or seven when my Great-grandma put a crochet hook in my hand,  I have great memories of her teaching me how to make differant things.  So I've been doing it for over 20 years.  Wasn't until this year that I actually taught myself how to knit.  I have to say,  I really like knitting but I'll always be a crocheter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!
apixiegrl
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2005 11:00:59 AM »

When I was 16 i asked my mom to teach me, but she only knew how to do the chain. So I bought a "learn how book" and with an old steel crochet hook and some red thread I learned the other stitches from the book. My first finished piece was a red book mark made up of the different stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pawnshoppromises
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2005 09:15:33 PM »

About six months ago.

I had an assignment for senior year advanced art studio class that went something like, "Learn a trade from a family member, and create a piece using that trade.."

Both my mother and my grandmother crochet so I got them to teach me. Now I'm hooked (no pun intended Tongue ).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005 08:24:47 PM by pawnshoppromises » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 Personal Swaps and can crochet pretty much anything! PM me!

My Etsy
My Ravelry
My Wist
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2005 06:11:39 AM »

ttchica78 There must be something about being 22 Grin
My mom toughed me the basic when I was 7 ore 9 but I have never finished a project(beside one Barbie mini dress Embarrassed), I have couple of started net gloves a beg still laying around.
Last week (I'm 22 now) I was camping with my friend and It was raining all the time. I took tattering stuff with me (with hook and thread) but forgot to take my beginner pattern with me. After 2 days of fighting with tattering project i gave and started crocheting. And let me tell ya that was a great switch.

I have distant memory of my great grandmother but a big part of it is her crocheting. My great grand mother is a legend in our family, because she was extremely brave during  historical storms of last century  and  devoted here whole life to caring fore other people ( I could write couple books about here).  I think of crocheting as a part of my heritage, very fun part.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006 04:36:49 AM by olenka » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I_Bleed_Hot_Glue

Edna - the ultimate DIYer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2005 09:36:07 AM »

I know the exact day i learned to crochet(is that a little weird??) It was Jan 1 2004.  A whole bunch of my friends and I were hanging out at a friend's apt after she had a New Year's Eve party.  I saw a ball of yarn and a crochet hook and I said "Hey, you know how to crochet?" and then she taught me and i have been doing it ever since!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hot glue makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2005 09:41:08 AM »

I tried to learn in college and I made my mother some pot holders and hot pads and a scarf. The scarf curled around itself so badly she thought it was a hat. She's a teacher and took my hard work into her teacher's lounge and showed the others teachers. They all thought it was a wonderful job - from her KINDERGARDENER. So I now relegate myself to looking at other people's work and sighing whistfully, or else making great long worms on a knitting spool and having no idea what to do with them when I am done. I think you are all amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2005 07:35:17 AM »

I learned to crochet maybe 15 years or so ago, from my stepmother (probably the only pleasant memory of her Angry ).  For the longest time, the only hook I had was a green plastic sz G that she gave me.  I didn't do much with it until 6 or 7 years ago, when I started making a few afghans--for a work friend's baby, my mom, my niece.  I'm working on a new one for my bedroom, but it's on hold until the weather gets cooler.  97 degrees is a bit high to have a lap full of yarn.  I've also made a few hats--good for gifts.

I taught myself to knit earlier this year, but my gauge is horrible and uneven and I don't have the patience to just sit and practice.  I always get overly ambitious and want to make complicated sweaters and things.  So now I'm trying to convert knit patterns to crochet but I don't think I quite have the knack yet . . .

Edited to add: Eek! I just looked back at this and that "15 years ago" at the beginning makes me seem so old--I'm only 25!!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005 07:57:51 AM by zitrone21 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Permanence Shapes Creative Career Choices
Finding Joy in Affecting How Others See the World
Doug Jaeger on How Art Projects Become Creative Careers
Doug Jaeger on Learning Storytelling Skills to Sell Concepts and Ideas
Teaching Art Students Creative Career Skills
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...