A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,343
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When did you learn to crochet?  (Read 22654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lucid501
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2005 11:00:36 PM »

My mom taught me the very basics about 4 years ago, and then I learned the rest through books and trial and error. I sort of go in waves, where I will crochet like mad for a few months, and then not crochet at all for a few months. But I am more hooked on it now than ever due to all these cool patterns that have been popping up! Even just a few years ago, it seems like ALL the cute patterns were for knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theartofmegan
Tutorial Contributor

One Crafty Wife Lady

Cr4ftN3rd. <3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2005 11:12:33 PM »

Sorta learned about 5 years ago or so.  But gave it up cuz i wasn't all too hot at it.  I picked it up again a few years later in order to make my family some christmas presents, and have been doin the scarf thing for a few years in a row.  I think I may be brave enough to venture onto cooler projects this winter (I don't crochet in the summer due to my lack of A/C and 95* apartment.) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art, Crafts, Fashion, Love.
http://www.theartofmegan.com

Visit my Etsy Stores!

The Art of Megan
Handmade, Vintage, and Recycled Craft Supplies at http://theartofmegan.etsy.com

HomeGrown Fashion
Unique, down-to-earth fashion, accessories, and home decor
http://homegrownfashion.etsy.com
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2005 12:07:59 AM »

When I was 6, my great-grandma taught me, so 22 years ago.  She taught me a lot of patterns by heart, too. In fact, didn't learn to read a pattern until a decade or so later.

I thought it was the coolest thing ever!  Cool (I still like it, of course, but I like a lot of other things, too.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005 08:51:06 AM by dancingbarefoot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
justwantacraft
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2005 08:57:14 AM »

Think I was about 14 when learned but only the past like 20 years has it been my favorite hobby but only like 2 years ago did I finally learn to understand and follow patterns 53 now
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAngel
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2005 07:00:10 PM »

I first learned how to crochet from a friend in 1999, but I left it in my closet when we lost track of each other. When I got really stressed out at work, I decided to pick it up again. In November of 2003 I taught myself how to crochet. Smiley Now, I'm teaching myself to knit!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danielle
Follow me on:
Twitter @ bruinsZ33 - http://www.twitter.com/bruinsZ33
Tumblr @ bruinsZ33 - http://bruinsZ33.tumblr.com
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2005 06:49:44 AM »

my granny taught me to crochet when i was little (6 or so). all i could do was a chain for the longest time! granny has passed (1983) and i continued with my life. then i lost my first kid and needed a way to work thru the depression. a friend taught me how to cross stitch and i did that for a year or so. then for some reason, i was compelled to crochet. so i walked to the local 5&dime (i lived in a small illiinois town at the time) and some yarn and looked up crochet on the internet.

it was weird. i just flew thru the stitches, and i could see my granny's hands in mind as i stitched. it was soooo calming! i crocheted feverishly for years, then slowed down a lot when we adopted out dd. but i still try to get in at least a project a year.

ok, long and winded...but that's how much crochet means to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2005 08:55:37 AM »

my granny taught me to crochet when i was little (6 or so). all i could do was a chain for the longest time! granny has passed (1983) and i continued with my life. then i lost my first kid and needed a way to work thru the depression. a friend taught me how to cross stitch and i did that for a year or so. then for some reason, i was compelled to crochet. so i walked to the local 5&dime (i lived in a small illiinois town at the time) and some yarn and looked up crochet on the internet.

it was weird. i just flew thru the stitches, and i could see my granny's hands in mind as i stitched. it was soooo calming! i crocheted feverishly for years, then slowed down a lot when we adopted out dd. but i still try to get in at least a project a year.

ok, long and winded...but that's how much crochet means to me!

aaaw... I think a lot of us can say we learned crochet from our grandmothers, but I think few have a story as heartfelt and compelling as that. I'm glad you found something soothing to ease the pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2005 06:16:11 PM »

I learned around 25 years ago, when my grandmother decided that perhaps crocheting would be easier to teach to 2 5-year-olds than knitting (which she had just tried without much success).  This grandmother had no daughters to teach and was excited to finally have granddaughters (after 3 grandsons). While I learned to knit about a year later, my cousin didn't continue with crocheting or knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2005 12:50:43 PM »

i was about 8, and my mother was expecting my little sister. to try and calm me down (and keep me busy), she taught me to crochet. i made TONS of wonky looking doll's blankets, but one of my first projects ever was this awful green and pink acrylic hat i made for my sister to be. it was basically a long pink rectangle folded in half and stitched up the sides with green yarn. it looked like a tea cozy, lol! and funny enough, i don't ever actually remember seeing my sister wearing it (it was SO ugly!).... my sister and i just had a laugh over it the other day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
ttchica78

Left handed hooker

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2005 06:37:47 AM »

My grandma taught me single crochet and how to make borders when I was about 8 or 9.  That's all I knew how to do until about 2 years ago when I was 22, I got all sorts of books and web tutorials and learned how to follow patterns and do different stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheeseburger Meatloaf Recipe
How to make Bacon Wrapped Scallops
How to Mix Excellent Cocktails with Xavier Herit at Daniel
Almond Butter and Berries Recipe
Crab Cakes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...