A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When did you learn to crochet?  (Read 22011 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joanita
Tutorial Contributor

What's this?

i wish i could buy time so i could give it to us.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2005 06:14:38 PM »

When i was about 8 years old my grandma thaught me how to make the first chain and no more and now time has passed and i'm trying to teach myself [internet mode] but Idon't think I'm doing it quite right, but whatevs some day I'll learn[ hopefully]

so how did ya'all learn? was it easy?

<3 have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the cutest gravedigger
bespectacled
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 10:09:50 PM »

I started knitting when I was about 9, then a few years later my mom got me an awfully bad "Crochet for Pre-teens" type book. I've been obsessed with both crafts since then Grin

edited for was it easy....
The book was quite straight forward, so i pciked it up well, but it took me almost 5 years to realize I had been crocheting in the back loops only Tongue Haha.. so now my crochet actually looks right! Yay Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
actoneends

I don't want to be an adult.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005 10:43:32 PM »

i taught myself how to knit a few years back. but i never really tried anything difficult until SNB.  i'm way confident about my knitting now and i bring it everywhere.   but i could never teach myself how to crochet.  i wanted to learn, i figured it would be slightly faster to crochet a blanket (knitting a baby blanket took <i>forever</i>) but i just couldn't do it.   

until.... i was on craftster and someone had a question about a star shaped blanket http://www.angelfire.com/va3/heartfeltangels/littlestarafghan.html

I HAD TO MAKE IT!
 of course, if several people on craftster are having problems with a pattern, it's probably not a good idea to make it your starting project! (   http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=27667.0 and http://www.moccassin.net/moccassin/patterngatheredtoe.html )
  but i did, and i recently started it over and it looks awesome so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/thatjennagirl">Find me on MySpace and be my friend!</a>
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005 10:54:48 AM »

I started learning to crochet from my Grandmother when I was around 6.  Between her, some aunts, and lots of experimentation, I am where I am. 

Most of the people I've taught had trouble learning from a book; so, if you can find someone to help you, I'm sure you'll make progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
itscribe
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005 08:25:59 PM »

Seems like we have a really special trend going here. Thank God for Grandmas!

Mine taught me as well. Looking back I must have took to it fairly easily since she quickly gave up in frustration when we tried the piano.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

btlgrl
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005 05:35:03 AM »

When I was 6, my mom was knitting a baby blanket for a baby shower.  I showed such interest (she had already taught me to sew)  she bought me my own set of needles and gave me some yellow and white yarn.  I made my own blanket for my baby dolls (incidentally I still have this) 

When I was 8, a friends mom showed me how to crochet, but only a chain nothing real advanced.  But she gave me the crochet hook she taught me on, and I remmber taking it on the bus (I had a really LONG ride) and playing with it and a ball of yarn.  Then I got some teeth pulled when I was 12.  My mom was helping out by taking care of my great gramma.  I was recooping and my great aunt showed me how to do a "granny square" using double crochets.  She also gave me the crochet hook.  I eventually took the granny square she helped me with and make a HUGE afghan out of it, just one big old granny square. (This was my gramma's sister, if that counts for anything!)

CJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_katonic
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005 05:44:11 AM »

I'm currently teaching myself to crochet with the books "Learn to Crochet in one Day" and "Idiots Guide to Knitting and Crochet."  Let me just say, learning from a book is very difficult.  I was just wishing for a Granma that knew how.  I guess I'll just have to muddle through.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ithinktomuch
Slightly Insane

Yarn is my drug of choice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005 08:52:07 AM »

around 8-9 yrs old my mom taught me to knit and crochet. i did a little (i still have my first crochet patch) but after a while I forgot it, then in 5th grade we have sewing class( really it was just crocheting) as an activity once a week. Everything came flowing back to me and I haven't put my hook down since. I wish I would've taken more advantage of those classes b/c the reeealllllly  old lady who taught us was really good. She made all of her own clothing and new every stich invented (at that time I only did sc) Also it was nice sitting with some of my friends and crocheting.(most girls ditched that class). Many of them have forgotten how to crochet but I loved it. I've thought about trying knitting again but I remember that I wasn't to fond of it when I was little. Someday I'll try it again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's be free to be you and me, free to crochet and knit, free to twirl hooks and click needles" -Debbie Stoller
elvenjuicebox

Falling on the wrong side of ignorance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005 09:39:24 AM »

my grandma taught me to crochet when i was 10 and i took to it pretty well. I would go back and forth between that and reading and just recently kept with it. I'm making the famed star blanket right now Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pajama_mama1
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005 10:06:37 AM »

My Grandma has always made beautiful afghans for my sister & I & now our children.  I asked her if she knit or crocheted & she said crochet so I said I wanted to learn, but we live 6 hours away from each other so last year for my birthday she surprised me with Boye's book "I Taught Myself to Crochet."  I've been addicted ever since.  Note:  because I learned from a book I don't know if I crochet the right way or not but I enjoy it.

alicia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Savour A Delicious Sushi
How to Cook Chicken with Ginger and Spring Onion
How to Cook Kung Pao
How to Cook Homemade Sashimi Using Crab and Sea Bream
How to Make a Tasty Sashimi - Salmon, Tuna and Yellowtail
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...