A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How It's Made: Fair Isle Crochet [MANY PICS]  (Read 19556 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lady-twatterby
Trainee Crocheteer

Luna Is Love

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2010 12:36:01 PM »

In the Finished Projects board, I'd posted some things I'd made while experimenting with fair isle crochet. Since people showed interest, I thought I'd do an image tutorial.

A few things to note: I basically taught myself how to crochet. I know I hold everything in the wrong way. Please look past this. I'm also not a native English speaker, so excuse some confusion in terminology. Lastly, I expect you'll know some basics in crochet before you start experimenting with this yourself -- although you needn't know too much, as I know next to nothing and managed this, too. Wink

Using images and some explanation with them, I'll try to show you the basics of the fair isle crochet technique I use.

1. What you'll need (of course):

For this example, I use a 4mm hook (US G/6) and an acrylic yarn (much like Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice, only cheaper). I wouldn't recommend using anything chunkier, or you'll risk your pattern becoming wonky and unclear.

2. Chain a number of stitches, and make them a loop (connect with a slip stitch). When you have a pattern you work with, you need to count the amount of stitches for a "neat repeat". I just stitched away to use a part of the "loop" to show how it works. Never mind me.

3. This is the stitch we'll be working with; my mum said (with considerable incredulity) that she'd never seen anything like it, so I'll teach you how to do it first.

4. Yarn over;

5. Stick your crochet hook through the next stitch in the chain and yarn over; then pull through.

6. Now you have three loops on your hook, like so:

7. Now yarn over again and pull the yarn through all three loops at once. (If anyone knows if this has a name, please let me know. If not, what shall we call it?)

8. Repeat from top. You get something like this; note what people have said looks like a knit structure.

9. When you've come all the way round, connect the last stitch with the first using a slip stitch; then chain two.

9a. [What it looks like before chaining two]

9b. [Plus two chained]

10. [Image says it all Wink]

11. The pattern I'm using is just about the easiest zig-zag imaginable. Basically, the first row will just be c1-c2-c1-c2-c1-c2 and the second c2-c1-c1-c2-c1 etc., with in this example c1=green and c2=pink.

12. So the first stitch on this row is worked like normal, with the exception that we'll start adding c2;

13. Finished stitch should look like this, with c2 being the loop on your hook:

14. Now the hardest part has come; we need to weave in c1, as our current stitch is c2, and the yarn we're not using gets "carried".

15. You should now have three loops in c2,  with c1 "stuck" behind them on the wrong side of your project;

16. Now yarn over c1, and pull it through your three c2 loops;

17. Again, the stitch (as above, yarn over, hook through excisting stitch --two loops --, yarn over, pull through -- three loops --) and again the weaving in of yarn (this time c2);

17b. Hoop-la;

18. Three loops of c1 on your hook, in this patterns, means c2 gets pulled through;

19. This is what it should look like after a few stitches; again, note the v-shapes;

20. And the back;

Okay, so I used c1 the rest of the way, carrying c2, because I wanted to quickly be able to show you the next step. So that's how we get through this stage so super fast.  Cool

21. When this row is finished, we again connect the last stitch with the first, but in this pattern, the first stitch on the next row is c2, so:

22. Again, what the back looks like (make sure you weave in well enough, or you get messy, snaggable loops);

23. Stitch one of row two;

24. Again changing colour on the final loop;

25. ...and again...

26. And so it repeats, until you've come round again;

27. This pattern called for another row in c1 only, and on top of that I've added another row in c2, just to show you could start the whole process again, but using c2 as the main colour and carrying c1 along (reversing the colours in the pattern).

28. Or you could do whatever you like and experiment with more complex patterns;

Once you've mastered the basics, the possibilities are legion. Pleasing things to make using this technique are wrist warmes, mobile phone cozies, hats, etc. You could try combining larger, more complex patterns with basic ones like I used above. Look for fair isle or nordic pattern charts and you can do anything you like (as long as you can count).

I'd love to know if this was helpful, or if anything is still unclear. But most of all, I'd love to see what you're all going to make now!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010 12:42:20 PM »

Great tutorial!  Thanks for posting it. ^_^

That stitch you're using looks like a standard half-double crochet stitch, shortened as hdc.  (I'm using the US terms here... in the UK, I believe it would a half-treble, or htr)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady-twatterby
Trainee Crocheteer

Luna Is Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010 12:49:07 PM »

You're very welcome!

See, I thought it was that one, but my mum said she didn't know it, and out of the two of us, she knows more about crochet than I do XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010 12:52:53 PM »

I've got pictures taken for an hdc tutorial (I've had them for a while, actually); I just need to get around to posting it!  Then your mom would see. ^_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady-twatterby
Trainee Crocheteer

Luna Is Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010 01:23:06 PM »

It's a lot of work, isn't it? XD I thought, "Oh, tutorial, I'll do that", never realising I had to take pictures of every. Single. Step. Thank goodness this fair isle shizzle is pretty repetitive XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty01_87

I make awesome stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010 10:03:54 AM »

That's such an interesting technique! It looks like it makes a thick fabric too. I'll have to play around with this! Thanks for posting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is not being afraid to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Scott Adams
meechpaulley
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010 04:19:47 PM »

Those look very nice!  Maybe I will give this a try!  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady-twatterby
Trainee Crocheteer

Luna Is Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010 11:35:46 AM »

You're welcome! Cheesy

@ crafty01_87: It makes a very sturdy fabric, if you'd use similar materials as I did. I'm not sure how well it would drape in larger projects. It's more for something like gloves, hats and perhaps a jacket than for cardigans and similar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lazytcrochet
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011 04:51:11 AM »

Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop and see what's new in my Etsy Boutique at www.LazyTcrochet.Etsy.com
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011 08:20:01 AM »

ohmygosh. I'm going to have to try that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Haunted House Part 1/3
How to Design a Club Flyer - Putting it all together 13/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Working with Gradients Part 5/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Xenofex Lightning Effect Filter Part 8/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Layer Styles Custom Brushes Part 10/14
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...