A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to separate big living area into rooms  (Read 2100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fuzzyrobot
« on: December 21, 2010 10:19:21 PM »

I would like to find a good way to separate our large living area through semi-permanent/permanent means.  Right now, it's pretty much this long rectangle with absolutely no complete wall separations.  (See pic)  I'm willing to construct new walls if necessary, but I don't want to make things seem too crowded.  

It just looks really tacky with the dining table between the tv/couch and pool table.  I don't want to move the couch to the middle because the flow of traffic would cut right between the couch and the tv.  The pool table also seems perfect in the far corner because that's also where the large sliding glass door is.  The place isn't that big, so I feel like constructing rooms may make the place look smaller.  I'm also willing to get a smaller dining table to a 4 seater.

I would LOVE to get some ideas on this.  I've been saving up money to fix this place up and really want to do this, but have absolutely no idea as to what I should do. :/

Pic here: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/thumbs/244030_21Dec10_layout.JPG
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klcqtee
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010 09:13:33 AM »

I had the same problem in my bedroom/craft room/library. I needed a way to divide it up, rather than walking in and being overwhelmed by what seemed to be random crap everywhere.

Do you have any tall book shelves? What about those stack-able cubes made of wire (http://www.concordsupplies.com/_webcache/saf5279bl_1_1.jpg)? If you stacked those up high, or used tall bookshelves, all along the back of the couch (facing the dining room table, but not extending in to the walk way), you would create a "wall", that is both useful and temporary.

You could also hang a curtain, by either putting hooks into your ceiling (you could find some old vintage looking ones!) and using large eyelets, or by putting a track in, so the curtains slide, though the track, in my opinion, would be more work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011 05:55:16 AM »

Why not move your dining room to not be between the entertainment stuff? Then put up large bookshelves behind the table or couch to visually break up the space:

couch, tv, pool table VS. dining room.

Or, there is an awesome post here somewhere under completed projects where this lady put up several sheers around her exercise equipment and created a secondary room. It really looked nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
ChrisSews
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011 12:03:53 AM »

I agree that it makes more sense to have the dinning area next to the kitchen and the entertainment stuff separate.  You can use the couch and other furniture to block out paths so that the natural path of travel isn't between the couch and the TV.

Like this:

Or buy an entertainment unit and use it as a room divider to separate out the dinning area.  If the back isn't a pretty as you would like try finding some nice home dec fabric and making panel to hang on the back.  Keep them light colored to help make the room more airy.  If the dinning area seems small try hanging a large mirror on the back wall.  That should help some. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011 05:23:20 PM »

I have this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80208652
I always thought it would be great for sectioning off a room, plus great for storage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011 02:20:44 PM »

You could make wood screens or use fabric curtains as a divider between rooms as well. I have two books on making room divider type screens. Making and Decorating Stylish Screens:30 Beautiful Projects by Katherine Duncan Aimone and Screen Works: Practical and Insporational Ideas for Making and Using Screens In the Home by Marion Elliot. I love looking at the ideas in these books.

Tomico

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Unique Parting Tips
Onesta Beautiful Hair Foam Review
How to Create Beach Curl Waves
How to Create a Unique Braid and Messy Bun
Britney Spears Inspired Hair and Make Up Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...