A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,033
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster interviews Debbie Stoller!  (Read 3333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2010 03:04:40 PM »

We were lucky enough to score and interview with the fabulous Debbie Stoller and we asked her YOUR questions! Debbie's new book Stitch N' Bitch Superstar Knitting: Go Beyond the Basics is out now! We've included some pictures of the projects in the new book for you to drool over while you read. Smiley

In your new book, what technique did you find the most challenging to learn? (from Syntaniel)

Debbie: Every technique is challenging when you start. Knitting lace was difficult for me at first, but once I picked it up, it no longer became a challenge.

When did you fall in love with knitting, is it something you've been doing forever or did you discover it later in your life? Do you have a memory of a special project that gave you confidence and cemented your love of knitting for all time? (from j_en and Rousseline)

Debbie: I had been at war with a sweater for years. In 1999, I took the sweater on a 3-day cross country train ride. During the ride, the stitches came together and I finally finished the sweater. I instantly became addicted to that feeling of satisfaction when you complete a project. I guess you could say I fell in love with knitting on that train ride.

What type of needles do you prefer (bamboo, wooden, metal, plastic)? (from writer1311 and llisaredd)

Debbie: Im a straight shootin Bamboo long 14 die-hard. Bamboo needles feel great and look beautiful. I knit with my yarn in the right hand in the Dutch way, with the needle under my armpit, so the long needles are great for that. I also love straight needles because, well, its hard to put a circular needle under your armpit.

What is your favorite fiber to knit with and why?  Is there a particular fiber you loathe and why? (from KnitChaos)

Debbie: My favorite fiber is Wool. Its magical. You can smell the farm, the sheep and the outdoors in it. Its water resistant and keeps you so warm for being so light. My least favorite fiber is squeaky vinyl.

Are you interested in any other fiber arts? (e.g. spinning, felting) (from krafty_kelly)

Debbie: Yes, absolutely. You know Ive never considered myself a knitter. I learned a lot of needlecraft as a kid and Im still discovering and learning new techniques. I love spinning and cross stitch and Ive just recently taught myself bobbin lace.

How do you combat the overwhelming nature of having so many creative ideas, when you want to start a new project? How do you decide what to put on the needles next? (from creativestrawberry)

Debbie: I dont have that many creative ideas. [Uh somehow we doubt that!]  I put on next, whatever I have around that my hands will find delicious. Its like cooking. You have a cook book filled with all the recipes in the world, but what you end up cooking for dinner is what you have in your pantry.

Where do you get your inspiration for such fun and funky projects?  The patterns I find in your books are so unlike others, and for that I'm thankful - it gives us younger crafters something to follow that doesn't look like our grandmother made it. (from SewIn2Disney)

Debbie: Working at BUST magazine headquarters everyday and being around creative young ladies gives me inspiration. Also, street fashion often gets my creative juices flowing.

What knitters, artists or books inspire you? (from Wendie)

Debbie: Madonna, Martha Stewart, Courtney Love and Simone de Beauvoir, to name a few.

Who is your favorite (knit or crochet) designer? (from cmouse01)

Debbie: All the designers I include in my books are favorites of mine. I am constantly finding new designers and artists that inspire me. Just the other day I landed on a random blog and fell in love with the authors felted projects.

If you were any tool of the trade of knitting, what would you be? (from writer1311)

Debbie: Straight Bamboo long needles. Simple, sturdy and reliable.

How involved are you in choosing the fiber content, colors, etc. for your new line of yarn? How and why did you made those choices? (from Arrakis)

Debbie: I am very involved. I select the colors, the fibers and work with Red Heart on the projects and model selection at photo shoots. I am limited when it comes to fiber selection because I request that all my yarns be made with natural fibers. Since we want the Stitch Nation line to be affordable, it limits us to certain natural fibers. You cant have a ball of silk yarn at a low price point.

How do you even begin to select a color palette?

Debbie: My new upcoming line actually came from an idea in my head of a 1930s childrens illustration of a farm. Ive named all the colors after things you can find on a farm.

Which of the two main yarn crafts (knitting and crocheting) do you find easier? (from Distant_Twilight)

Debbie: Crochet is the easiest. With crochet you have two items, yarn and a hook, and two hands so it makes it easier. With knitting you have three items, yarn and two needles, and just two hands - so it can be more challenging just on that difference alone.

Do you have any thoughts on ways to make knitting and other fiber arts more environmentally friendly? Do you have any experience with recycling fibers? (from Knotmad)

Debbie: I think that fiber arts in general are already so environmentally friendly. Its something you do with your hands and its a process that doesnt include waste. You knit a sweater within minimal materials and wear it for 100 years.

What's the most challenging thing you've ever taken on in your knitting adventures? (from madannevain17)

Debbie: I find sweaters challenging. Sometimes Im challenged by boredom with a project. I just want it to be over and done with so I can move on to the next one.

Are you planning a Happy Hooker 2?  Is there an advanced crochet techniques book in the works? (from empressloopy, Alliecat30, fantasticmio)

Debbie: As of right now I have no plans for any additional books. But, a Happy Hooker 2 is a GREAT idea.

Thanks for taking time to answer our question Debbie!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010 03:09:33 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011 10:51:14 PM »

WOW, I'm new to knitting and have not seen your work before.

WOW and Way Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
Gleamy88
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011 08:21:27 AM »

It is amazing that it only took a train ride to tackle something complicated. I just started knitting this week and I have your book "Happy Hooker". I am excited to purchase your knitting books now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
egg_salady
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011 06:55:50 PM »

I love Bust magazine and have been a reader for years, so I was really pleased to see Debbie write a very encouraging, cool, awesome knitting book that didn't bore me to tears! I read tons of craft books for inspiration and education, and some writing in other authors' books is so stale. Not Stitch N Bitch! I have all her books and am look very forward to the new Bust craft book! Go Debbie go! You're my hero and forever will be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dailycrafting
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011 10:26:21 AM »

I'm still new-ish to knitting but I love bamboo needles too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adamjpritchett
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011 08:20:37 AM »

I love this woman her books are amazing, fantastic interview.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetClouds
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011 07:02:42 AM »

Great interview! I love Debbie's books! I learned how to knit from Stitch & Bitch. I tried a few others before buying hers but I found knitting so confusing. Debbie's book explained it in such a simple way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Gina Michele
My fashion and DIY blog: preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.crochetclouds.com')
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Cat Eye Style
How to Apply False Lashes
Get the Look from Jason Wu Spring 2014
Get the Look from Michael Kors Spring 2014
Get the Look from Marc Jacobs Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...