A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,518
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paypal...i'm new at this so bare with my stupid questions  (Read 565 times)
Tags for this thread: paypal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cookiemonster
« on: May 25, 2005 03:01:11 PM »

1. You need paypal to accept orders and webhosting to hold your site...right? Or is there more?

2. When signing up for paypal, should I get a personal, premier or business account?

3. Does paypal cost anything?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Vintage Sewing Goodies*~*
Ooh! Vintage
www.oohvintage.etsy.com

Blog: http://www.oohvintage.blogspot.com/
sweetpeahandcrafts
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005 09:28:44 AM »

Hi there,

1a.  You need *something* to accept orders; or, rather, to allow people to pay for them!  There are all kinds of different shopping carts out there that you can add to your site, but Paypal is the easiest way to start, even for the novice with little/no html experience.  You can figure it out.  What's good about paypal is that people who are members of paypal can pay with anything--ie, credit card, direct checking account debit, etc.  And people who are not members can also use it with a credit card.  Paypal is a payment processor--they do all the work for you.

1b.  You need webhosting to hold your site, and for a professional looking site you'll have to pay for it.  It's not terribly expensive and there are lots of options out there.  If you don't pay for it, you'll have ads all over the place, and often pop-ups, which are decided customer turn-offs.  You'll also need to buy your domain name, which is something you can often do with your hosting company, or with another one.

2.  Just get a personal account for now, and verify it.  There's no need to get all fancy at the outset--you don't need, necessarily, all the tools the other accounts have.

3.  Yes and no.  There are no outright charges--ie, per month, or per year.  But there is a fee for each transaction that is a small percentage of the transaction worth.  It's still cheaper than going through any other payment processor at this point, for you. 

Hope that helps,
Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purses, Retro Aprons and Other Accessories!
www.sweetpeahandcrafts.com
cookiemonster
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005 11:39:44 AM »

Thanks! That pretty much clears it up, and I think I understand it now. So, even with the personal account on paypal, I will have to pay per transaction?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Vintage Sewing Goodies*~*
Ooh! Vintage
www.oohvintage.etsy.com

Blog: http://www.oohvintage.blogspot.com/
sweetpeahandcrafts
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005 12:33:01 PM »

Yep.  Every time money comes in for you, they get a few cents.  It's not a ton.  It's less than the processing fees you'd have to pay to other processors.  You'd have to pay them if you were selling stuff on Ebay.  It's pretty much the paypal universal.   But I think it's somwhere around 4-5% each time.  So let's say you sold something for $25, paypal gets a dollar and a few pennies.  Something like that.

Glad this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purses, Retro Aprons and Other Accessories!
www.sweetpeahandcrafts.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take a Beautiful Cityscape Part 1/2
How to Take a Beautiful Cityscape Part 2/2
How to Use Repetition As An Element Of Visual Unity
How to be Aware of Your Surroundings
How to Create Visual Unity
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...