A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Language Question  (Read 1692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chemama
« on: May 25, 2005 02:07:53 PM »

Herzliche Gruesse, deutsche Craftsters! I have a translation question for you... First, what's the German word for ATM (Automatic Teller Machine/cash machine) and would this basic construction work (with articles and adjective endings adjusted for the ATM word): "Where is the nearest ATM?"/"Wo ist das naechste ATM"?

I majored in German in college, but that was about four years ago, and I've forgotten nearly everything. My aunt wants to put this expression on a T-shirt (I don't know anyone--American or German--who would actually wear such a shirt, but in any case I wanted to minimalize their looking stupid just a little bit). Thanks for your help. ~Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Invader Tak
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005 06:57:33 AM »

I'm not a German speaker, but I did spend a week and a half in Vienna, and everytime I looked for an ATM it seemed to be labeled "Bancomat". 

Maybe that will work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
berlinchick
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005 12:40:47 PM »

Herzliche Gruesse, deutsche Craftsters! I have a translation question for you... First, what's the German word for ATM (Automatic Teller Machine/cash machine) and would this basic construction work (with articles and adjective endings adjusted for the ATM word): "Where is the nearest ATM?"/"Wo ist das naechste ATM"?

I majored in German in college, but that was about four years ago, and I've forgotten nearly everything. My aunt wants to put this expression on a T-shirt (I don't know anyone--American or German--who would actually wear such a shirt, but in any case I wanted to minimalize their looking stupid just a little bit). Thanks for your help. ~Erin
[/quo

the correct translation would be: " Wo ist der nchste Geldautomat?"
gern geschehen!
:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chemama
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005 02:43:04 PM »

Vielen Dank!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hetobeto
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005 01:07:54 AM »

You can also use "der Geldautomat" - that's what I've seen in Germany, at least!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujubecraftin
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005 01:46:42 AM »

I think alot of people just say Automat or Bankomat also, but probably automat, more so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Slow Shutter Speed to Create Leading Light
How to Photograph with Storm Lighting
How to Create Beauty Lighting
How to Photograph Spontaneously
How to Understand Psychological Impact of a Subject
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...